Help me. Gaining more fat than muscle.

Options

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Wow... I just typed a really long reply and it disappeared. Anyways, I think your bf% estimate is a bit high because of your history. Strength training can help you build the muscle base you desire as well as increase your bone mass.
    Are you doing compound lifts and increasing the weights/reps weekly? Are you hitting each muscle group 2-3x per week?
  • chloepaulino
    chloepaulino Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow... I just typed a really long reply and it disappeared. Anyways, I think your bf% estimate is a bit high because of your history. Strength training can help you build the muscle base you desire as well as increase your bone mass.
    Are you doing compound lifts and increasing the weights/reps weekly? Are you hitting each muscle group 2-3x per week?

Yes. 5 x a week. Different muscles. Went up in weights. However today i created an entire new workout plan. Full body workout-targeting all muscle groups in one day. I plan to progress 4 reps at 8-10 lbs.
    I’m not at the gym now so I don’t have my paper with me, but I can post a picture tommarow.
  • chloepaulino
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Based on your photos you are in a great place to recomp.

Also are you following a proper workout program or designed one yourself? Unless you have a lot of experience I would not write a program on your own.

A long time ago I used to have a personal trainer, who showed me how to do the proper techniques in work outs. I created one and she tweaked it to ensure I was getting all the muscles in one day.
  • being_fit_101
    being_fit_101 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sharing my experience with bf machines....I did Tanita and DEXA within one week maintaining similar conditions (morning no food, similar water intake). There was 7% delta between the two (21% Tanita, 28% Dexa). Dexa estimated resting calories around 1450cals; i did breathing metabolic test and it showed resting calories around 1850cals. looks like different machines show different values. the best would be to stick to one from my experience. Currently i am eating 2100 calories with 5 days strength training (1hr day) and 2 days cardio (1hr per week). I am loosing weight @ 0.5lb per week.
  • chloepaulino
    Options
    8-10 lbs does not sound like you are doing compound lifts or heavy lifting...at least not enough to recomp efficiently.

Okay I will bump it up. I am a bit weak and have no upper body strength as why I put it so low.
  • chloepaulino
    Options
    8-10 lbs does not sound like you are doing compound lifts or heavy lifting...at least not enough to recomp efficiently.

Trying to figure out my maintenance calories. Monday-Thursday I have it set at 1,675 and Friday- Sunday have it set to 1800 since I’m a bit more active those days.

My BMR is 1,257
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    But are you doing compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench, ohp, rows)?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    jcusnt0mnmmb.jpg

Even if you hold a disproportionate amount of fat in your legs, take a look at this and see what you think....

Interesting! Based on that picture, I seem to have 15-17% bodyfat in my upper torso, but more like 35% around my belly, hips and thighs. Thanks, body :)
  • chloepaulino
    Options
    But are you doing compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench, ohp, rows)?

9fc0v00p6ube.jpeg

My workout routine.

Anyone feel free to tweek or modify.

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Just chill and keep going Chloe. Keep getting stronger and do your best at eating healthy with more protein. One step at a time. I find "strength training" more satisfying than bodybuilding for this reason. "Strength" is easy to measure, faster to obtain, and takes less gym time.

It sounds like you're beating yourself up when you should be congratulating yourself over getting stronger.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Do you have access to barbells and a squat rack?
  • chloepaulino
    Options
    Do you have access to barbells and a squat rack?

Yes, every morning. I have been been doing 100 squats on the assisted squats with 65 lbs.

I have access to barbels as well.
  • chloepaulino
    Options

Yes, I have been doing about 10-12 lbs. 10 reps and repeat it for 4 x. Of course I go heavier for others: press ( lbs 160) 10 reps x 4, weighted lunges ( lbs 40) 12 reps x 4. Bicep curls: (15 lbs) 8 reps x 4. I know some of the weights seem low but I’ve actually gone up in weights. My upper body strength is very low compared to my lower body strength.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think you should pick a program from this list that suits your goals... making up your own program with various exercises when an untrained in developing a program can lead to a pour program.

Also, it is hard to follow the way you talk about your sets/reps weight etc. The standard why is Sets/reps per set. so 3x5 @ 150, means 3 sets of 5 reps using 150 lbs.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • chloepaulino
    Options
    Why an assisted squat instead of barbell squats? It seems like compound lifts(squats, deadlifts, OHP, rows, bench press) with free weights would be better. Some of your exercises are redundant. There isn't a need to do accessories at this point, unless there is a body part (like biceps) you want to focus on for some reason. Have you looked into proven programs, like stronglifts or starting strength?

No I have not looked into proven programs, I will have to. Would you suggest getting rid of bicep curls? I just thought with the workouts I choose, I was guaranteed to be hitting all the muscle groups.