Do you not think that you're as fat as you are...

I've had this problem for a long time. When I'm doing my normal day to day activities, I don't feel fat. In my head I don't look fat. Just a little out of shape. That's all. Buddies tease me about my weight, which they are fat too. I keep telling myself that I don't look as big as them. In reality, I am, or even bigger. I don't like my picture taken because I know I'll see the real me and won't like it. But I do tend to get into some pictures whether I want to or not. Then reality sets in. I'm huge. It's a shot to the gut! No pun intended. It's sad. Makes me angry. How did I get this big? I didn't really know I was this big!! People find it hard to believe that I didn't see myself as a big person. They say well, you are into xxl shirts and size 42 pants. How do you not know?? I guess its just depressing when it finally sinks in. I do have about 75 lbs to lose.
Wish me luck people. Maybe my next post will be in the success stories.....
Thanks for listening!

Replies

• CassMurray215
    CassMurray215 Posts: 2 Member
    You got this!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    It's funny how we don't see ourselves as we actually are. I can walk past a store window and see something I just don't see in myself. I'll asked my loved ones their honest opinions which aren't how I see myself. Our minds play some crazy tricks.

Hope you are successful
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    I feel the same way. Felt like I was in decent shape, even though I knew I was overweight. Hated getting my picture taken, still do. When my work pants started getting too tight I decided I wasn't going to get a bigger size again. Started in October of last year at 227, down to 187 and feel better than I have in ages, still want to lose another 20 or 30 pounds. Also like you I love to play hockey, been out of it for 7 or 8 years, planning on hitting the ice again in June when the summer session starts. Add me as a friend-you got this!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Recognizing an issue is half the solution. Best of luck.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Ooh this really spoke to me - in my head, I was overweight, not fat and definitely not 'that' fat.

Except I am ! Some of it is because I do think when other people have an issue with mine or anyone elses weight, its their problem. Added to which (all) that weight has not stopped me from doing anything either.

So why diet now ? Because I am on the verge of being prediabetic and my BP went up like a firework on top of which, I am perimenopausal so at the point where it may get harder to lose it if I wanted to. That was the start in Feb this year - BP out of the red zone and I can get my jeans off without undoing them :).

Still got 40lb to go - I too had 75ish to lose.

Good luck OP - you got this !
  • hap2go
    hap2go Posts: 105 Member
    I hear you loud and clear. I was never a FAT kid and I was very active growing up so my eating habits are based on that. Once I quit smoking and had a kid, it was kind of downhill from there. I weigh more now than I did 9 months pregnant. :( I don't even want to know what my sugar and cholesterol numbers are. I need to get to a healthier weight so I’ll be around for my kid.

And yes I HATE seeing myself in photos sometimes.
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    Please don't be sad. Be happy knowing that starting today, you have the power to turn things around. I know this way thinking helped me a lot. Stay with MFP and you will learn something new everyday to help you get there. Also, be ready for those big "friends" of yours to not be so happy for you. I ran into this problem and many do. I Wish you well. You'll get there!
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Awwwe Dave! Sending you lots of hugs. I get what you're saying, I go through the same thought cycle in my head from time to time. Like when I'm doing great, sticking to my diet and then I look in a mirror at my big thighs and go "how the hell did I get like this!?!" It's totally depressing and yeah "a shot to the gut". When I was at my worst weight, I was in complete denial how just how big I was. It was hard to face up to it until I absolutely had to. There are still moments where I go this can't possibly be me, I'm so fat!, and yet here I am. BUT... don't let it get you down! Beating yourself up never got any good results. Don't let those negative thoughts win. Keep your head up, keep on keeping on. Keep doing the best you can every single day. Fall down 9 times, get up 10, know what I mean? If you mess up at breakfast, get back on track at lunch. It's never too late! Keep your chin up. You got this!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    This was me 4 years ago.

Yeah - you got this. Read the stickies. Ask more questions from those who have been here before.

You're likely going to have to unlearn a great deal of popular woo, so be ready for that.

Check out the National Weight Control Registry:

http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

I found a great deal of inspiration within the success stories within this site and others, but I wake up daily to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTMDpizis8&t=5s
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    For me it depends on the situation. When I am just going about my day, shopping and stuff, I don't feel fat - I feel normal (until I see my reflection). When I'm at home I usually feel fat. The rest of my family is thin, so I feel out of place with them. Also, when I meet people for the first time, I feel very fat and self-conscience. I'd say it's about 50/50 whether I feel fat or normal. I am actually obese - about 70# overweight.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Yes! This is exactly what got me started losing weight. I saw my reflection in a window, and a photo, and thought "That's not what I'm supposed to look like." It certainly wasn't what I looked like in my head.
    ...45 pounds later...
    Caught a glimpse of myself in a window and thought, "Oh yeah, that's what I'm supposed to look like!"

Now I hold up pants in my size and they don't look like they'll fit, but they do...

Determination and patience can get you there.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    I always get both views. When I was at my biggest weight I felt like I was smaller most of the time, until I had to go up a flight of stairs, bend over to tie my shoe, or like you when I saw pictures of myself. Now that I've lost weight I very much see the 20 pounds I still have to lose but I also see the 45 I've lost, I realize I've lost weight but I still feel SO big.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Back when I started this process I didn't think I was overweight and I had no desire to lose weight for aesthetics reasons. I was comfortable in my body and I didn't mind where I was at. And then everything changed when I received a medical diagnosis, which was most likely influenced by my weight. Suddenly I was facing a crisis that would not only affect me, but also my family. I had a few days where I had a lot of internal conversations with myself and I really got real with myself about how I had let myself get to this point.

From there I made a commitment to lose the weight to try and correct the health problem, but more importantly I committed to keeping the weight off, no matter what. I had never tried losing weight before/never had dieted but I was going to take responsibility and get this done, permanently.

7 years later and I've been maintaining a 50ish pound weight loss for around 6 years. I no longer have the health issue and all my health markers and blood work consistently come back good. Every day I think about my weight and what I'm going to do that day, to continue maintaining my progress. I'll continue doing that for the rest of my life.

Getting to the point where you realize that you need to change is half the battle. Now comes the next phase-taking care of what needs to be changed. I wish you the best of luck Op, as you move forward from here :)