May 2019 Self Care Challenge

RubyRed427
RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
Self-care” is about doing things that help you feel less anxious, more Zen.

Self-care does not equal spa treatments and makeup, as much as the beauty industry dominates the media with articles implying that in order to sell more of that stuff. (Not that spa treatments and makeup are not OK if that’s what makes you chill out.)

Self-care is something everyone needs.

Check in here to get ideas from this list and share how you’re working on feeling better about life. Reading posts from others also helps find ways to thrive.

Replies

• TheNaturalistHippie
    TheNaturalistHippie Posts: 1 Member
    This month I plan to devote minimum of 3 days a week to meditation.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    I practice self care daily. Kids gone----love it!!!!!!!!!!! It's all about me.
  • RubyRed427
    Tonight: mani and pedi (I haven’t had one since December), stretching and meditation before bed, reading a book before bed instead of being on my ipad.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Yesterday I picked up a book from the library that I have been looking forward to reading and started reading a little bit. Today I am taking a break from the gym and I'm going to do some trail work on one of my sections that I haven't gotten done because if weather and schedule issues.
  • wcollett60
    wcollett60 Posts: 188 Member
    edited May 2019
    @rubyred427 thank you for sharing 22 selfcare ideas

My selfcare today was meditation yoga and listening to meditation music at work.

Heading out to enjoy the sunshine and a walk.
  • love1Jesus7
    love1Jesus7 Posts: 1 Member
    I also am getting used to not using my e-cig. As I go down in nicotine percent I have noticed a change in how much better I feel, and it gets easier and easier to not use it as much!
  • RubyRed427
    Guided Meditation 20 min. , read Living magazine slowly turning pages, hot mint tea
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Before parkrun, I started tidying up an old (Helmut Lang - inspired) jacket I designed that I love dearly, and will be repairing. Also finished a digital drawing.

I was in charge of parkrun which is always stressful, but I was surprisingly relaxed (for me). Had a really good chat with a friend about his first 50 km run next weekend and hopefully helped him with some psychological strategies. Processing the results was a breeze today, yay.

It's my son's birthday this week, and he's asked for a nice box of assorted art/craft supplies. I'm having lots of fun looking in shops and getting things.

After walking down the street and home, I had a nice time scrolling down my FB feed that I haven't had time to do this week. Heard some nice news, and connected with some friends who'd been on my mind.

Then I did what I wanted, which was to read some stories in the New York Times style section.

You'd like this one:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/smarter-living/the-case-for-doing-nothing.html
  • RubyRed427
    edited May 2019
    Orphia wrote: »
    Before parkrun, I started tidying up an old (Helmut Lang - inspired) jacket I designed that I love dearly, and will be repairing. Also finished a digital drawing.

I was in charge of parkrun which is always stressful, but I was surprisingly relaxed (for me). Had a really good chat with a friend about his first 50 km run next weekend and hopefully helped him with some psychological strategies. Processing the results was a breeze today, yay.

It's my son's birthday this week, and he's asked for a nice box of assorted art/craft supplies. I'm having lots of fun looking in shops and getting things.

After walking down the street and home, I had a nice time scrolling down my FB feed that I haven't had time to do this week. Heard some nice news, and connected with some friends who'd been on my mind.

Then I did what I wanted, which was to read some stories in the New York Times style section.

You'd like this one:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/smarter-living/the-case-for-doing-nothing.html

Orphia, have you heard of diamond painting? It’s a relaxing activity where you put little beads down on a picture. Maybe your son would also like that.
    https://paintwithdiamonds.com/blogs/pwd-insider/what-is-diamond-painting

I also love the article you shared from NYT!
  • RubyRed427
    Today’s self care: visiting the markets, buying some dried lavendar for a glass bottle vase, helping a friend in need (which makes me feel good as well).
  • PuffyPattyCakes
    PuffyPattyCakes Posts: 21 Member
    Just came across this challenge and I am loving it! What a wonderful idea! For self care I made my own quiet sitting spot outside under a tree as far away from my house (family, dogs etc) as possible. I carry my journals, my Bible, other books, color markers, and a glass of lemonade out there. I write, read, and even doodle like a kid in my journals. Its very peaceful and gives my mind a mental reset. The extra vitamin D from the outdoors is a nice bonus.
  • MidwestAndHappy
    MidwestAndHappy Posts: 28 Member
    Now that the weather is nicer, I want to spend more time outside. I work nights but now that the days are longer it should help. The vit. D will definitely help.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    This weekend I visited with my sister. We went to the sheep and will festival and it was such an amazing time!! Yesterday I went hiking. Today my husband and I worked in the garden. Later I am hoping to finish putting together or bookcase, do a little reading, do a little painting, and snuggle with the dog. We are going to grill some veggies and salmon and I'm looking forward to it. Everything tastes better on the grill and grilling really feels like self care to me.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Continuing to walk every day (today was a bit of a struggle).

Got a few items out for our bulk refuse pick up tomorrow. Only three items, but I was having "detachment" issues.

Not sure I should post this, but I've been wanting pizza for quite some time. I decided to treat myself to a thin crust bar pie (half pepper/half olive). Delish! 😋
  • rondajones2003
    rondajones2003 Posts: 16 Member
    My self care for May is to write in my gratitude journal 3 times a week as that always helps me to focus on the positive in my life.