May 2019 Self Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• beachwalker99
    beachwalker99 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Such great ideas! Just came across this challenge and could use the encouragement to make time for self-care, especially when things get hectic. Like now - it's the end of the semester and I've got piles of papers to grade.

Walking outdoors is usually my primary stress-relieving activity, but today I was dragging from too little sleep and too much on my mind. Instead of walking after class, I took my very late lunch and a big mug of tea out into the garden and relaxed in the warm sun. It felt great! I did eventually get in a short walk, but I don't think I would have done so without those 45 minutes of restorative calm B)
  • wcollett60
    wcollett60 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Today I plan to have Iwo selfcare items.

First clean up two small cabinets in the kitchen, less clutter makes me feel better, as well the ability to check it off my list provides a sense of accomplishment.

My second self care item will be a large pot of tea and a paperback novel, no electronic gadgets. I work with computers most of the day and have a long drive to work, so quiet time to read during the week is not possible. This is a rare Saturday without work or commitments.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Another really long walk (140 minutes) with one of the two co-workers/friends I walked with last Saturday. We actually walked quite a bit more (distance) in the same amount of time. Great conversation made the time go quickly! 😃

Also, did some weeding in my yard; I actually enjoyed this. And I actually cooked myself something for dinner.
  • rondajones2003
    rondajones2003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went to the local farmers market and got some fresh veggies and some herbs to plant. The weather was nice and great to just walk around and enjoy.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Skipping alcohol and waking up
    With no hangover on Mother's Day.
    Wearing a nice dress for lunch; I rarely wear dresses so it's fun.
    Skipping the laundry and chores today to enjoy the ride ! Life is a great adventure !
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

I gave up caffeine (4-5 coffees a day) in October. (Didn't have any withdrawal symptoms or those headaches everyone seems to be afraid of.) Now I have less ups and downs. When I want a warm drink I'm enjoying decaf with almond, soy, or macadamia milk, or various caffeine-free teas. Now I even notice a much smaller effect of just the warmth of a drink. I have more variety, and less angst and queasiness.

I stopped using a pillow altogether last week. Over the years I've used less and less pillow support. I got to the point of using half a very flat pillow and realised it was still just an annoyance. My neck and shoulders don't hurt when I'm trying to sleep now.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @HatherM, feel better!
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Today I have the day off work, so I'm hoping to get a little yoga done & and have a nice relaxing afternoon, to give my mind a break
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My self care dropped off for a hot minute. So last night I went and camped in the woods. I spent the evening spring in front of a fire reading. This morning I say around drinking camp coffee and eating rice and beans while I read. It was so nice. I need to get my *kitten* together because I have been slacking lately. Tonight after the gym I am trying to finish the book Atomic Habits and then starting to really put it into practice.
  • HatherM
    Options
    Went for a lovely walk, instead of skipping my lunch break and eating at my desk today :smile:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
  • HatherM
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Thanks x <3
  • PKM0515
    Options
    I had a wonderful "farm market dinner" to start Memorial Day weekend: Kirby cucumbers and cherry tomatoes, the perfect ear of corn on the cob, and some delicious cherries. 🍅 🌽 🍒

Also, got in a nice walk early this morning.

I hope that everyone has a great weekend!
  • amberrea82
    amberrea82 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ooh I love this!! And reading how you all are taking care of yourselves is wonderful! Yesterday, I drove my mama around and looked at places for sale (my dad passed away last year and she had to sell our family acreage in February). It was a wonderful day and we found one place that could potentially be perfect! Today, my stepkids just left with their grandma on their moms side, so I’m drinking my coffee listening to all the birds in the backyard. After I clean house, my mom is coming for a sleepover lol and we’re gonna have a bonfire 😁🔥
  • PKM0515
    Options
    amberrea82 wrote: »
    Ooh I love this!! And reading how you all are taking care of yourselves is wonderful! Yesterday, I drove my mama around and looked at places for sale (my dad passed away last year and she had to sell our family acreage in February). It was a wonderful day and we found one place that could potentially be perfect! Today, my stepkids just left with their grandma on their moms side, so I’m drinking my coffee listening to all the birds in the backyard. After I clean house, my mom is coming for a sleepover lol and we’re gonna have a bonfire 😁🔥

Sorry to hear about your Dad. It sounds like you have a fun weekend planned! 😃

Walked with a co-worker/friend for 200 minutes. I can't believe the distance we covered, but I'm so happy we did it! (We are both Type 2 diabetics and have both lost a lot of weight.)
  • wcollett60
    wcollett60 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I was away for a few days, while away I made getting my walk in a priority. Also took advantage of the hotel pool. Made a work event partly a mini vacation. I was very relaxed when I got back home.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @RubyRed427 💃👏👍

As you know I have been away on vacation! What a wonderful idea for a thread! Sorry to join so late.

Self care: I am enjoying a new hot tea that arrived in the mail today and catching up on my favorite magazines with golf on TV in the background. Long bath later! Win - Win. 💃👍