Workout/Gym/Diet Rant thread

Replies

• cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    This is perfect! My aunt was being super critical of my use of MFP. Told me I was obsessing to make sure I recorded every morsel of food and measured every bite. Then, 2 hours later, she has guts enough to tell me I have too many strawberries in the bowl. Right after I was criticized for measuring my food.

Connie in KY
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Lifestyle change is a double-edged sword. While I enjoy carrying less poundage, I sometimes hate that I look at a treat differently. If I want a small Sonic slush or mini blizzard or something, I look at the calories then think to myself "Is it worth it for the 30-45 minutes extra on the elliptical?" It's so much harder to be spontaneous food-wise.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    We have a group of guys (usually 3 and its the same people) and they'll chat/work out together and do split sets (I think that's what they're called.) Basically, instead of completing their sets on one machine and then moving to the next, they'll do one set, move to the next machine, and do the same for the second and third and so on. And then go back through them three or four times.
    So they'll take up 6-8 machines for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Its infuriating. I had one day where I literally ran out of improv work outs to do to pass the time but still be lifting and focusing on my intended muscle group. and my workout just completely stalled. I was SO frustrated. And they do this ALL the time. Its to the point that I'm about to put a little slip in the suggestion box that the gym owner puts a sign up banning sets like that unless the gym is empty.
    I get you like working out that way, but this is a public space. Other people use it, too. Come on people, we can share.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Lifestyle change is a double-edged sword. While I enjoy carrying less poundage, I sometimes hate that I look at a treat differently. If I want a small Sonic slush or mini blizzard or something, I look at the calories then think to myself "Is it worth it for the 30-45 minutes extra on the elliptical?" It's so much harder to be spontaneous food-wise.

Yess!!! This so hard. I still have room for small sweets, but I can't look at cakes the same way anymore. Or burgers, 99% of restaurant burgers are higher calorie count than my daily limit =(
  • brittanystebbins95
    We have a group of guys (usually 3 and its the same people) and they'll chat/work out together and do split sets (I think that's what they're called.) Basically, instead of completing their sets on one machine and then moving to the next, they'll do one set, move to the next machine, and do the same for the second and third and so on. And then go back through them three or four times.
    So they'll take up 6-8 machines for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Its infuriating. I had one day where I literally ran out of improv work outs to do to pass the time but still be lifting and focusing on my intended muscle group. and my workout just completely stalled. I was SO frustrated. And they do this ALL the time. Its to the point that I'm about to put a little slip in the suggestion box that the gym owner puts a sign up banning sets like that unless the gym is empty.
    I get you like working out that way, but this is a public space. Other people use it, too. Come on people, we can share.

You are talking about circuits. So what happens if you attempt use one of the machines in their circuit? Do they say anything? I'll occasionally do a circuit using 2-3 machines if no one is using them, but if someone gets on one of the machines I'm not using while I'm using another one I'm certainly not going to say anything. Because I don't feel like people can reserve a machine they are not actively using.

That's what its called! Don't know why my brain kept going back to split set. Goodness. They don't rerack their weights and they purposely leave their personal belongings, for example, a phone or a sweat towel over there to save their spot.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Eddie_Ice wrote: »
    I am sick of the following inner monologue.

Body: "Yo lets eat that!"
    Brain: "No"
    Body: "Ooohh Lets eat THIS!"
    Brain: "Dude, no"
    Body: "Ok, ok but lets just have one of these!!"
    Brain: "BODY SHUT UP!! YOU KNOW THE CALORIE COUNT!!"

We go to war everyday and only come together when the food diary is done and that sense of pride washes over us.

OMG! It's like you're in my head! I had the exact inner monologue this evening! Body wanted chocolate; brain reminded body of the weekend when homemade biscuits were made and Body wanted to continuously taste....
  • brittanystebbins95
    hlr1987 wrote: »
    Started half marathon training last month, I've planned a very slow build because I'm still overweight, have little time around my small children to train, and foot issues. When I mentioned my plans to a relative, they got excited and decided to enter as well, and quizzed me for my whole training plan, what am I doing this week, and then next week. I can manage just over half the distance atm, and was feeling pretty chuffed about that with four months to go, but they've just sent me a photo of them completing their first one, and a good half an hour faster than I could. Now I'm pretty bummed that the buddy I'd not planned for but got emotionally invested in probably just wanted the motivation of beating me to help their training. Trying to be happy for them, but honestly I just feel a bit disheartened now.

Other people's success is not your failure ♥ Keep at it, you're doing amazing!
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Gym equipment that isn't consistent. Yesterday got on the same stationary bike I was on Monday, set the level to 8 just like always, barley got halfway through my normal 15 minutes before my legs gave out, even after reducing the level some. Felt a lot harder than it usually does.
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    I hate how much I think about food. I hate how often my thought process goes like this:

1. I want *insert craving*.
    2. No. I don't need *insert craving*. It's just a craving.
    3. But that craving isn't going away.
    4. Maybe I should just go ahead and get the food.
    5. I don't need it.
    6. If I ate it, I'd just feel bad about my will power.
    7. Yeah, but if I ate it, maybe the craving will go away.
    8. Okay. This is the LAST time I'm eating this.
    9. Everything's going to change after this. I'll be good from now on.
    10. Now that I've eaten it, I've completely screwed up.
    11. Eh, since I've already screwed up, I might as well just do what I want today.
    12. Well, now I'm ashamed of myself.
    13. But maybe I'll do better tomorrow.

I'm really working to break this cycle!

Absolutely agree, especially on the weekends.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    I love to cook, but I get stupid hunger cues every time I try to lookup new recipes! Even if I wait until just after I've eaten a very filling meal, my brain is like, "Oh that looks good! You should make that! You would like to eat that, wouldn't you? Well, if you can't eat that, eat SOMETHING!"
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    People have to always say something about me eating a salad - what's in it, oh, u eating so heathy - wish I could do that etc. I was at a luncheon, passing around the roll basket. I did not take but the woman across from me had to ask "You're not indulging" I just said maybe later. And then I asked her if I could ask her a question, sure she said, whatever. Ok, so why did you have to comment about the roll? I could be gluten free and many different reasons - she said something about will power. You can't eat a salad without someone thinking or saying you are on a diet. Another time I passed up macaroons. A man said it's because I am on a diet. I said, no I do not like coconut. Like leave me along, stop commenting on my food and how much I lost and also wanting to know how much I lost. I recently called out another person but don't remember what was said - about my food again. I think I have to ignore them. I would like to say I am allergic to this or that but with knowing someone who is severely allergic to some foods, I don't want to trivialize an allergy.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    People have to always say something about me eating a salad - what's in it, oh, u eating so heathy - wish I could do that etc. I was at a luncheon, passing around the roll basket. I did not take but the woman across from me had to ask "You're not indulging" I just said maybe later. And then I asked her if I could ask her a question, sure she said, whatever. Ok, so why did you have to comment about the roll? I could be gluten free and many different reasons - she said something about will power. You can't eat a salad without someone thinking or saying you are on a diet. Another time I passed up macaroons. A man said it's because I am on a diet. I said, no I do not like coconut. Like leave me along, stop commenting on my food and how much I lost and also wanting to know how much I lost. I recently called out another person but don't remember what was said - about my food again. I think I have to ignore them. I would like to say I am allergic to this or that but with knowing someone who is severely allergic to some foods, I don't want to trivialize an allergy.

This is why I rarely tell people I’m trying to lose weight. Today I went to lunch with my hiking group. We live in a rural area where beef is king. When I ordered a grilled chicken patty melt without the melt (cheese) and asked that it be on rye bread instead of a bun and then asked them to hold the mayo, the waitress joked that my order was too healthy. Like it’s any of her business what I prefer to eat!

• suzanne6094
    suzanne6094 Posts: 104 Member
    Just going to Rant here ... with all the bones in my body and muscles... its my Big Toes that suffer the most in BJJ... really such a tiny body part.... GRRRR get with the program toes....

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,636 Member
    My left shoulder is frozen. It happened Wed night/Thurs morning, I have been doing a lot of back exercises and planks and chest press machines (could not do free weights while waiting for my back to heal). I think those chest press machines don't quite fit my range of motion.
    I can do barely anything with that arm because it hurts and is stiff. Finding a comfortable position to sleep in is difficult.
    I see the doctor Tuesday and start physical therapy a week later.
    I just feel sick and guilty asking my husband to do so much for me (most cooking and grocery shopping). He is telling me to rest but he has a stressful job himself and I worry about him. And I don't want him to worry about me on top of it.
    And of course I am frustrated at not being able to lift weights or run (high impact jolts that arm).
    I will probably feel better once the doc sees me and I know what to do next. He'll probably give me a cortisone shot and at least I will feel some relief. And at least I can do unweighted squats.