Stop calling it a diet!

I'm not sure why, but when someone refers to my weight loss as a "diet" I just snap. You go off diets. This is something I've been doing for a year now. It is a lifestyle change not a temporary restriction of calories.

Replies

• kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Agree loathe the word diet.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    For me calorie deficit=I'm on a diet so yes it is something I will go off of eventually when I start eating a maintenance amount.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Like many words in English, diet has multiple meanings depending on context and who is speaking. For me, there's the diet you're on, and the diet you have. The diet you're on has rules and books written about it so you follow those rules, with the eventual goal of weight loss and then not dieting. The diet you have is just everything you eat.

I'm not on a diet. I don't restrict what I eat at all I just eat less of it, and while I do want to lose weight that's less a goal and more a consequence. I'll always eat this way and I don't need books telling me what to do.

Therefore, all foods I like are part of my diet. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm currently cutting the last of my winter weight and consider to myself to be on a diet. It isn't a named diet or fad diet, but I am cutting calories and consider that to be a diet or that I am dieting (verb). My calorie restriction will be temporary because I eventually have to move to maintenance when I am at my desired weight and body look.

As far as lifestyle change goes, my overall diet (noun) is considerably more nutritious than it was in the past...but the calorie restriction (dieting) is temporary.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    When I was in weight loss mode, I was most certainly on a diet (defined as to restrict oneself to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight). I didn't change my diet (the types of foods I eat, or my way of eating), but I did temporarily restrict calories.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    I get what you're saying. I was telling someone that I was looking into changing up my diet to boost my immune system, after a recent diagnosis. Their response was they didn't understand why I wanted to lose weight. Diet has become such a dirty word.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I agree with this and despise the current popular use of the term, but I'm a holistic thinker.

Diet of late has been inextricably tied to some manner of exclusion.

When people ask me what diet I'm on I proudly proclaim "Why the Wisconsin diet, which consists of beer and cheese curds."

If I follow your Wisconsin diet, may I include brats as well?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I agree with this and despise the current popular use of the term, but I'm a holistic thinker.

Diet of late has been inextricably tied to some manner of exclusion.

When people ask me what diet I'm on I proudly proclaim "Why the Wisconsin diet, which consists of beer and cheese curds."

If I follow your Wisconsin diet, may I include brats as well?

Pretty sure exclusion of cased meat is in violation of state law.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Melh1969 wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting so many responses! I agree that the word diet has many connotations, some good, some bad. I guess I didn't explain my irritation well enough: What gets under my skin is when people say things like, "You can't eat that - you're on a diet!" or "She won't eat with us, she's on a diet!" Maybe once I've been at this as long as some of you I'll make my peace with it, but for now it just exasperates me.

The trick to not getting these types of responses is to not say that you are losing weight, on a diet etc.

I just lost my weight by myself for myself and no one ever commented when I left food, chose lower calorie options, drank 3 pints of beer, or ate a large slice of cheesecake.

Cheers, h.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Diet just refers to what you eat
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Melh1969 wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting so many responses! I agree that the word diet has many connotations, some good, some bad. I guess I didn't explain my irritation well enough: What gets under my skin is when people say things like, "You can't eat that - you're on a diet!" or "She won't eat with us, she's on a diet!" Maybe once I've been at this as long as some of you I'll make my peace with it, but for now it just exasperates me.

The trick to not getting these types of responses is to not say that you are losing weight, on a diet etc.

I just lost my weight by myself for myself and no one ever commented when I left food, chose lower calorie options, drank 3 pints of beer, or ate a large slice of cheesecake.

Cheers, h.

This was my experience too.

(I also am comfortable with the "eating at a calorie deficit" meaning of diet.)