Stop calling it a diet!

Replies

• mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    YES YES YES
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Kiyomoo wrote: »
    I call it a diet because when I say that, people know that I mean I am doing something to try to lose weight. It's less awkward than saying "I'm on a journey of weight loss".

That's my reasoning too. I use "dieting" because it's easier to understand and less awkward than "I'm changing my lifestyle in order to lose weight", plus the latter is a lie because I'm not changing my lifestyle, I'm just being strategic about my food.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I started out on a diet.. it was hard.. it took work.. gosh I had to change everything really and had to pretend I wasn't. Now.. the diet has turned into a lifestyle change. I don't think about it.. it doesn't seem like work.

the difference between diet and lifestyle is TIME. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Danp wrote: »
    I call it a diet because when I say that, people know that I mean I am doing something to try to lose weight. It's less awkward than saying "I'm on a journey of weight loss".

LOL! I don't find myself objecting to the word diet either. But for some reason I really dislike the term 'journey'. Everyone seems to be on a journey these days.

I can't really articulate why but just bugs me =)

None of these words particularly bug me, but most of them do not describe me so I don't use them. My experience was not grand enough to be considered a journey.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    - Are you on a diet?
    - Yes.
    - What's your diet?
    - I'm just eating better, counting calories and working out.
    - Oh, why don't you try the -insert fad diet name-?
    - Because I'd prefer to be able to eat everything. Just better controlled. After all, I have to learn how to eat in a healthy manner so that I'd be able to maintain my weight loss afterwards.
    - -blank stare- So you are not really on a diet. I don't see how this would work.
    OR
    -blank stare- But obsessing over calories is no way to live!

Last time I got recommended to try the Cabbage Diet - from what I was told, you eat cabbage for two weeks in various forms and you lose the weight quickly and for good!!!!!!!! -blank stare-

Most people associate the word "diet" with a very limiting food intake for a period of time that is including or excluding a certain food/food type, which miraculously leads to weight loss. Very few perceive the word as "way of eating".

If it's not delivering miraculous weight loss in two weeks, most people see the diet as too troublesome. Just yesterday I had to explain that counting calories takes me about 30 seconds per meal and it's in no way limiting or obsessive (unless you have obsessive disorders, but that's a whole other story). When I said that I was currently eating about 1800 calories, the very knowledgable cabbage-recommending person I was talking to gasped and concluded "But that's a lot, you will get fatter!" ...

People want a magic pill. Which doesn't exist. And it's easier to just use terms and words that they would understand. The word calories triggers some very interesting reactions, so I very often just don't even mention it and people react so much better.

- Are you on a diet?
    - Yes.
    - What's your diet?
    - I'm eating less, moving more.
    - Good!!!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    edited May 2019
    When I eat for weight loss, I call it a diet. It's certain not my lifestyle!

But I don't tell anyone that I'm on a diet.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Danp wrote: »

LOL! I don't find myself objecting to the word diet either. But for some reason I really dislike the term 'journey'. Everyone seems to be on a journey these days.

I can't really articulate why but just bugs me =)

Because you're channeling Lord Business! :joy:
    giphy.gif

I mean, part of their ability to sustain their diet hinges on making it more than just eating, I get that. Some need to make it significant and all-encompassing and immerse themselves in it to not stray. But I agree, the overuse of that word is just making me knee-jerk :confounded: these days.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I mean aren't we always participating in some diet or other? It's the word for what you eat.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    I hate it when people say I can't have that..I am trying to be good.

A friend of mine will say "I am so bad, I ate a slice of pizza" drives me nuts! Or she will say "omg I just ate half of a squash for dinner"...it is like wtf!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    Yeah, people get weird about the word diet (honestly, including myself, like a weird gut reaction) so I just call it "deficit eating". So instead of saying "I got back to my normal diet after Easter", I'll say "I got back to deficit eating", 'cause it really isn't my "normal" diet, it's my "normal" diet minus 250-500 calories.

Yes!!

My diet/deficit and my normal/maintenance are two similar but different things. :)

(And personally I think of my lifestyle as something quite different)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2019
    I refer to the restriction of calories as a "diet" too even though it's not a diet of specific foods like keto, south beach, military etc. etc.

But I understand your frustration. I don't ever tell people when I'm trying to lose weight or not, so no one would ever have any comments about what or how much I'm choosing to eat.