Can run 10k without walking in 75 min. Now what?

Options
2»

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    There is a lot of good information here.
    Yesterday I decided to just go run two miles as fast as I could without worrying about further distance and managed ten minute miles. I'm going to try working that into my longer runs, running fast for a mile, jogging two, repeat. Currently I'd have to walk to recover in between but it seems like a doable goal.

Ummm, everyone is saying to work on endurance not speed, do your plan is to start incorporating speed work?

I plan on including speed into my current endurance work.
    You can't run faster if you never attempt to

That's not really true. You get faster by running farther. Once you have a solid base you can start incorporating special runs like, speed runs, fartleks, etc. but first you need a solid base. If I were you, I would look for a training program written by a running coach. Amazon is full of good running books.

This is very true. If you insist on doing speed work, only do it once or twice per week, not on every run and not on your long runs. This is very important in order to avoid injury as well as burn out. When it comes to training, faster is not always better and neither is always striving to run more. You need to have a solid plan that allows for rest and recovery. Elite marathoners that are capable of running an entire marathon at a 5 minute per mile pace do most of their training runs at 8+ minutes per mile. Just keep that in mind.

OP, you might be interested in reading 80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald. It explains how to get faster running 80% of your training runs at an easy pace and how running faster all the time is not a good training strategy.
  • IDeserveBetter
    IDeserveBetter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Yesterday I decided to just go run two miles as fast as I could without worrying about further distance and managed ten minute miles. I'm going to try working that into my longer runs, running fast for a mile, jogging two, repeat. Currently I'd have to walk to recover in between but it seems like a doable goal.

Ummm, everyone is saying to work on endurance not speed, do your plan is to start incorporating speed work?

That's not really true. You get faster by running farther. Once you have a solid base you can start incorporating special runs like, speed runs, fartleks, etc. but first you need a solid base. If I were you, I would look for a training program written by a running coach. Amazon is full of good running books.

This is very true. If you insist on doing speed work, only do it once or twice per week, not on every run and not on your long runs. This is very important in order to avoid injury as well as burn out. When it comes to training, faster is not always better and neither is always striving to run more. You need to have a solid plan that allows for rest and recovery. Elite marathoners that are capable of running an entire marathon at a 5 minute per mile pace do most of their training runs at 8+ minutes per mile. Just keep that in mind.

OP, you might be interested in reading 80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald. It explains how to get faster running 80% of your training runs at an easy pace and how running faster all the time is not a good training strategy.

This seems like a good read.
    Thank you
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

That is 100% untrue. What you can do is make yourself slower and get injured by doing too much or the wrong thing.