Does anyone have mini-goals within their GOAL?

Options

Replies

• clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I could not do w/o them. My first goals, before MFP were to get the courage to step on a scale, then to get to onderland. I never heard of that before, but I love it. Now I want to get to 180 and then to be overweight instead of obese. Not sure what my final goal is. I am glad to see others with minigoals. Sometimes it's hard not to compare myself with others losing faster, but I remind myself of the progress I HAVE made.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    My first big goal was to get under 200 (accomplished!)
    My next is to get under 180 which will make me no longer obese (I have 0.7 lbs left to go!)
    Next, I want to get down to 160 before the end of the year
    Finally, I'd like to reach 150 around St Patrick's Day.
    Once I reach 150, I will go by body fat percentage and seek to get my body fat down without focusing as much on pounds.
    What a journey it's already been. Cannot wait to keep going down that road!
  • SimplyMeLucia
    SimplyMeLucia Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have my mini goals ten pounds at a time 2 more pounds till I reach my first goal :) I want to lose 100 pounds and keep it off so I have 10 mini goals so I dont feel overwhelmed. Its great to have people on here to keep us motivated we all have basically the same goals to get healthy and lose weight. Feel free to add me !
  • StickingWithIt2015
    StickingWithIt2015 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Most of mine are centered around things I can do that will help me make the lifestyle change. I started with 1 and then after I felt I could incorporate it faithfully I added another new goal. Here are the ones I have so far.....

1) 3-5 fruits/veggies each day
    2) regular portions (I used to eat 3 portions of each food at every meal)
    3) activity outside of daily life 4-6 times a week
    4) try new foods (this one is really hard for me as I assume things taste bad before giving them a chance)
  • michelledfoster
    Options
    I have enjoyed reading everyone's goals !
    Mine are-- #1 to no longer scrape my fat stomache (or *kitten*) getting into the very small shower at my new residence. (Achieved)
    #2 To find a collarbone or two (achieved)
    #3 To reduce a seriously large fat deposit (as I see it anyway) on my right calf. (getting smaller, but still working on it)
    #4 For my thighs to not rub together when I walk (also getting better, but still in progress)
    #5 To get under 250.,.....by Christmas? Easter? Dont have a solid timeline, but its a solid goal.
    #6 Onederland........you are so far away, but baby steps !
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I had to. saying I want to lose 180lbs is just overwhelming and horrible.

I break down into events. "I want to lose 20lbs before X event.".. if I'm 17lbs down in a 20lb goal it's a LOT easier to say no to something than if I was 17lbs down from a 180lb goal.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Your goals look fantastic; congratulations. I started on 1/7/2013 and my 1st goal was dropping below 200 lbs (19 lbs). My goal for the year is 50 lbs (170 lbs) and I hope to reach by Christmas. Then I will reevaluate.
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! And I reward myself along the way. I started at nearly 300lbs and rewarded myself with books for my kindle or work out songs from Amazon, then a pool membership, workout clothes etc for each 5 or 10lbs. My first big milestone was 217= no longer obese, then "Onederland". The next big one is 177= healthy weight. At my goal, 150ish, I want to have a Biggest Loser-style makeover day, new hair, makeup, sexy clothes and have some great "after" pics taken.

THIS! I love these ideas!
  • S0nsh1ne
    Options
    Where are you planning on going camping? My son will be a boy scout in 2014 and I hope the weight loss will help so I can participate in some of his hiking trips. Good luck!
    When i hit 62lb I am going on my first wildcamping trip... not fit enough yet as it would be awesome exercise, but it all helps to keep you motivated AND to reward your good efforts for the successes you have had, which is equally important to recognise.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I think it is so important, especially when there's a long way to go. I had 20(ish)kg to lose and I kept getting caught up on how quickly that wasn't happening. So I started to set myself mini-goals. Under 85kg was the first (I had to lose 1kg to do that!), then under 80kg, back to 'overweight' BMI instead of 'obese', under 75kg and so on. I'm currently closing in on the goal of having my weight start with a 6 instead of a 7 (nearly there!!). I think celebrating those little achievements is extra motivating, instead of just focusing on the main goal far off in the distance which seems so far away!

I've also kept a few pieces of clothing in smaller sizes, not only to motivate me and try on periodically, but to save me money while I'm in the inbetween sizes. I pulled out the 'suitcase o'dreams' recently and managed to find a number of clothes which hadn't fit in a very long time. That was a fantastic feeling, and I won't have to buy new stuff until I'm at my end goal.
  • S0nsh1ne
    Options
    So funny guys! I understood what she was saying though...why do you think my initial goal is 170 ;)
    and then how much I weighed the last time a guy hit on me (180). hah!

Well hello there gorgeous :flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • S0nsh1ne
    Options
    So funny. I hate public showers (doesn't everyone?) but going camping and getting into those tiny stalls - that's a great goal.
    I have enjoyed reading everyone's goals !
    Mine are-- #1 to no longer scrape my fat stomache (or *kitten*) getting into the very small shower at my new residence. (Achieved)
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have already lost 75 pounds before starting MFP. My mini goals were 350, 325, under 300.

Now that I am there, I am stepping up my game to continue losing.

My next big goal is 250 before August 2014 Disney Trip.

My mini goals along the way:

1. Drink at least 6 glasses of water every day (I am up to 4 finally...I hate it)
    2. Log all food eaten to be accountable for all the boredom eating (why I started MFP)
    3. Reach 285 - then 275
    4. Reach 5,000 steps in a day (achieved once since I started tracking with fitbit)
    5. Up it to 10,000 steps a day
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Lots of mini goals to keep the motivation high. Smash 5 pound weight ranges. Every day food goals. Exercise timed goals. If I just said, oh I wanna lose 50 pounds see you later, I'd feel overwhelmed and I'd quit immediately. Small goals make this journey so much fun!!
    Above all, I try to take the slowest possible time, I try to avoid time limits because I want this to be a life long journey. I might say by Christmas ( very far away) I wanna smash the next 5 pounds on the scale. Or I might say, one day I'd like to ... That way I see lots of success which breeds joy, motivation and willingness to keep going.

Plus lots of rewards.
  • S0nsh1ne
    Options
    I got rid of all my clothes clothes in spring 2012 and so wish I had them now. My co-workers, family and husband keep telling me to buy some new pants but I just won't do it. I have worn the same 4 pairs of pants to work since spring and they're just gonna have to last at least another few weeks.
    I pulled out the 'suitcase o'dreams' recently and managed to find a number of clothes which hadn't fit in a very long time. That was a fantastic feeling, and I won't have to buy new stuff until I'm at my end goal.
  • S0nsh1ne
    Options
    Go Disney! You'll definitely want to kick that walking up several notches for that Disney trip and the water intake too - going in August - whew!
    My next big goal is 250 before August 2014 Disney Trip.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes, I don't even know what my ultimate goal weight is yet. I had been taking it in 10% increments, but once I reach the next one (4 lbs to go) I'm changing to10 lb increments. I have over 100 lbs lose as well. I change my ticker to add the next increment once I've reached the current one.
  • Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I count every 20 lbs a mini goal :)
    My next 20 lb mark I'm getting a mani/pedi :D
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I always do mini goals! I love them, and I would definitely say that they played a major part in my success. It helped take my mind of the big picture and made me feel accomplished throughout my journey. Even though I am in Maintenance mode, I still continue to bring mini goals into my daily life!
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I set a 10 lb. goal every month, and usually lose 8 or 9. It's too daunting to focus on losing 120 lbs! Now I'm 30 lbs overweight instead of 120 lbs. overweight, so every pound is a victory.