Anyone doing Atkins Diet? Need to start ASAP!

Replies

• elizabethross32
    elizabethross32 Posts: 1 Member
    you could probably find a cheap copy of the book at the used book store. Or even the library :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    echmain3 wrote: »
    At the time of his death Dr. Atkins weighed 258, had serious heart problems and high blood pressure.

Sign me up!

As we've all learned from our own n=1 experience with physicians, they don't always practice themselves what they preach in the office. He was a human after all. We seem to have trouble with doing what we know we should do even though we know better.

That's not saying Atkins is some sort of magic bullet. But it's a perfectly legitimate tool to achieve calorie deficit long term. Consistency over time is what yields results. There's more than one road to get there.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    At the time of his death Dr. Atkins weighed 258, had serious heart problems and high blood pressure.

Sign me up!

Thanks to his death certificate, we know Atkins was 258 pounds at the time of his death. Yet according to a copy of his medical records, as turned over to USA Today by the diet guru’s widow, Atkins weighed 195 pounds upon admission to the hospital 8 April 2003 following his fall. He died on 17 April 2003 after having been in a coma for more than a week.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/death-of-a-diet-doctor/
  • baconslave
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Forget the advice from Danp and others like it. There is a difference in diets. The studies prove that low carb diets like Atkins or Keto have a better effect on weight loss.

For the original poster, I would suggest just using MFP to track what you eat at first. Don't try to do it all at once because sustained weight loss takes time and is essentially a lifestyle change that has to stick after your goal weight is reached.place

You've taken the first step in recognizing that you are overweight. Now realize what got you there in the first place...most likely poor eating habits and little or no regular exercise.

Start by removing all the crap. Cut out fast food, processed packaged food and start making your own meals and snacks. Try to avoid refined sugar in all it's forms (corn syrup, dextrose, sucrose anything ending in -ose). Stay away from soda and fruit juice. Diet soda is okay as long as you have only one serving (8oz) per day.

Find an exercise routine that you can enjoy and stick to. Walking is a good start. Humans were designed to move and so the more you move the better you feel. Added weight can be a burden for exercising so consider weightless exercise at the local swimming pool - water walking, water calisthenics, swimming, water aerobics etc..

And lastly don't expect the weight to come flying off. It will take time to lose 50 - 100 lbs. just keep trying and keep moving forward.

Ultimately keeping your carb intake below 30-50g per day will go a long way in aiding your weight loss. Low carb diets like keto have enough evidence to prove they work fundamentally better for people with health related weight issues.

Carbs are not the devil here. Excessive calories are.

OP - choose your way of eating, whether it be simply calorie counting whole eating what you like, or Atkins, or anything else. Use a food scale to accurately weigh (estimated portions can be wildly off) and measure what you need to, log everything accurately.

If you find your chosen way of eating doesn't work for you, for any reason, then try another. It takes time, and you'll refine what you're eating as you continue on and the weight will come off.

I would suggest ignoring any advice other than from medical professionals that say that you HAVE to eat a certain way to lose weight. It's about portion control and unlearning old eating habits.

Best of luck to you and your wife. And haunt the forums/ask questions. Lots of good support here.

Right. It's all about finding a plan that suits you well enough to sustain long term. Consistency + Time. Dogged perseverance is key in this equation as well. :smirk:

Low-carb may be the thing. I find it helpful to aide me in not overeating foods I have trouble moderating and to prioritize micronutrient-dense carb sources. But cutting carbs isn't what makes you lose weight, it's eating less than you burn to create the calorie deficit necessary to lose weight. The best tool for job that depends on the person, their lifestyle, and preferences.

And you don't have to stick with the same plan. I did keto to lose all my weight, with calorie counting of course. :wink: Then I switched up to just low-carb (100ish grams) with don't-give-a-darn on weekends in maintenance. Still doing fine. I have friends who just used MFP with no other plan and are doing great and making progress as that strategy on its own works fine for them.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    baconslave wrote: »

Sign me up!

As we've all learned from our own n=1 experience with physicians, they don't always practice themselves what they preach in the office. He was a human after all. We seem to have trouble with doing what we know we should do even though we know better.

That's not saying Atkins is some sort of magic bullet. But it's a perfectly legitimate tool to achieve calorie deficit long term. Consistency over time is what yields results. There's more than one road to get there.

There's also quite a bit of controversy about his actual health status at the time of his death, so none of us can really make any conclusions about if he was healthy or not.

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Forget the advice from Danp and others like it. There is a difference in diets. The studies prove that low carb diets like Atkins or Keto have a better effect on weight loss.

For the original poster, I would suggest just using MFP to track what you eat at first. Don't try to do it all at once because sustained weight loss takes time and is essentially a lifestyle change that has to stick after your goal weight is reached.place

You've taken the first step in recognizing that you are overweight. Now realize what got you there in the first place...most likely poor eating habits and little or no regular exercise.

Start by removing all the crap. Cut out fast food, processed packaged food and start making your own meals and snacks. Try to avoid refined sugar in all it's forms (corn syrup, dextrose, sucrose anything ending in -ose). Stay away from soda and fruit juice. Diet soda is okay as long as you have only one serving (8oz) per day.

Find an exercise routine that you can enjoy and stick to. Walking is a good start. Humans were designed to move and so the more you move the better you feel. Added weight can be a burden for exercising so consider weightless exercise at the local swimming pool - water walking, water calisthenics, swimming, water aerobics etc..

And lastly don't expect the weight to come flying off. It will take time to lose 50 - 100 lbs. just keep trying and keep moving forward.

Ultimately keeping your carb intake below 30-50g per day will go a long way in aiding your weight loss. Low carb diets like keto have enough evidence to prove they work fundamentally better for people with health related weight issues.

OP - choose your way of eating, whether it be simply calorie counting whole eating what you like, or Atkins, or anything else. Use a food scale to accurately weigh (estimated portions can be wildly off) and measure what you need to, log everything accurately.

If you find your chosen way of eating doesn't work for you, for any reason, then try another. It takes time, and you'll refine what you're eating as you continue on and the weight will come off.

I would suggest ignoring any advice other than from medical professionals that say that you HAVE to eat a certain way to lose weight. It's about portion control and unlearning old eating habits.

Best of luck to you and your wife. And haunt the forums/ask questions. Lots of good support here.

Right. It's all about finding a plan that suits you well enough to sustain long term. Consistency + Time. Dogged perseverance is key in this equation as well. :smirk:

Low-carb may be the thing. I find it helpful to aide me in not overeating foods I have trouble moderating and to prioritize micronutrient-dense carb sources. But cutting carbs isn't what makes you lose weight, it's eating less than you burn to create the calorie deficit necessary to lose weight. The best tool for job that depends on the person, their lifestyle, and preferences.

And you don't have to stick with the same plan. I did keto to lose all my weight, with calorie counting of course. :wink: Then I switched up to just low-carb (100ish grams) with don't-give-a-darn on weekends in maintenance. Still doing fine. I have friends who just used MFP with no other plan and are doing great and making progress as that strategy on its own works fine for them.

"Dogged perseverance" is an excellent way to state it. I love my carbs, but like you, I actually seem to feel better and maintain easier on lower carbs. Not keto, but low. 100-120ish is my sweet spot.

I just didn't do the "don't give a darn" weekends because when I don't give a darn, it's a full blown way over calories darn that I'm not giving. :D
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    My 2 cents. You want to lose weight. You need to change your lifestyle to represent that. You have to make choices that are in alignment with your mission. Train hard, stay consistent, go see a reputable dietitian, stick to the plan. It will be a two year journey, fraught with setbacks, breakdowns, but, also, victories and life saving achievements. Plans are nothing without commitment and fad diets of any kind will always lead to failure in the end. Why, because you never truly changed your way of life. Do it right and get the results you are looking for.
  • baconslave
    zeejane4 wrote: »

Sign me up!

There's also quite a bit of controversy about his actual health status at the time of his death, so none of us can really make any conclusions about if he was healthy or not.

Quite true. :smile:
    But I didn't feel like arguing with that poster about those disputed particulars. Some sources claim he had those cardiovascular issues due to a chronic infection. We can't know really, as you said. Whether or not Atkins was following his own diet, in my view, doesn't really matter to us. We all know that evidence is emerging that low-carb (higher fat) diets are safe to use, if not the best for everyone everywhere due to preference and also genetic issues for some individuals. What's best is probably to achieve a healthy weight.
  • baconslave

"Dogged perseverance" is an excellent way to state it. I love my carbs, but like you, I actually seem to feel better and maintain easier on lower carbs. Not keto, but low. 100-120ish is my sweet spot.

I just didn't do the "don't give a darn" weekends because when I don't give a darn, it's a full blown way over calories darn that I'm not giving. :D

Oh I'm with you there. I make sacrifices on weekdays to minimize the carnage from the weekend. :lol::blush: It is hard sometimes though. But my life and family are ridiculously unpredictable those 2 days of the week. I got tired of having my whole week ruined because people changed plans last minute and the only available things to eat blew my calorie budget all to hades. So I fixed the problem. I eat low during the week, then I can have a little bit of what I want and absorb the nonsense from my family's actions. I get full quicker than I used to before I lost the weight, too. It works for now.
  • jdsass82
    jdsass82 Posts: 19 Member
    We just want to make sure we are doing it correctly to get us started because both of us have quite a bit of weight that we both need to lose. Is it really as simple as making sure you stay below 20-25 net carbs per day? We haven’t really found “the plan” anywhere. We have found the list of foods that have zero net carbs but does that mean you can eat them freely? Seems odd.

No, it is not as simple as keeping it to 20-25 net carbs per day. Keep a real calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Most people who do Atkins or some other extremely restrictive diet lose weight quickly and pile it all back on later. Learn about nutrient dense real food and eat those in moderation. Weigh your food and log it. Move more. Atkins or some other kind of low carb diet isn't going to save your life. Learning how to eat properly is and will help you sustain a healthy lifestyle in the long-run.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Been there, did that.
    Looking for THEE actual plan itself. Want to do the Atkins 20, but feel there is more to this than simply making sure we are eating less than 20 net carbs per day.

Every website has slightly differing information, but no real outline of the actual diet itself. Does that make sense?

The atkins.com website shows everything you need to know. You just have to look around a bit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2019

Sign me up!

Evidence? (Other than his post death edema)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I follow the South Beach Diet , it is a variation of the Atkins Diet but allows for certain carbs and you wont be eating "all the bacon and cheese you want" . Low carb works well for me but I also stay within in a max calorie limit per day.

South Beach is not (or was not) a variation of atkins. Atkins is not eat all the bacon and cheese you want.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    We just want to make sure we are doing it correctly to get us started because both of us have quite a bit of weight that we both need to lose. Is it really as simple as making sure you stay below 20-25 net carbs per day? We haven’t really found “the plan” anywhere. We have found the list of foods that have zero net carbs but does that mean you can eat them freely? Seems odd.

You have to have a calorie deficit, as well as low carbs. Often people will lose without tracking calories, at least at first, because they have to cut out so much of what they used to eat and it takes a while to find replacements (but you easily can!). Many people find that as they adjust they start filling in calories with low carb/no carb foods and then end up eating as much as before. But some find that eating that low carb kills the appetite or otherwise that they lose without tracking calories.

I believe the diet has changed over the years in some respects, but don't know how the "new" Atkins is different.

I believe at one point it was recommended that the available carbs be used mainly on vegetables, which seems sensible to me for health reasons. I'd personally not just eat 0 carb foods freely, as I could easily go over on some of them, but plan some low carb breakfast, lunch, and dinner options and start eating them. As well as the veg, you'd obviously want some protein source and then some kind of fat (dressing, sauce, cook veg in butter or oil).

If you want more structure, consider tracking on MFP and looking at calories too.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Yup.
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Atkins/Keto may work well for you. Or it may not. I tried it once and couldn't maintain it. I lost 11 pounds but I stayed exhausted, achy, and foggy. I knew there'd be an adjustment - Keto flu, it's called - but it was supposed to have happened by day 6 or 7 at the latest. It never happened. I felt as bad on Day 14 as I did on Day 3. Nowadays I eat a little bit of everything and just count calories. It's slow but it's working and I feel well.