Anyone doing Atkins Diet? Need to start ASAP!

Options
Hello everyone! I have been doing research on all sorts of diets and wanted to give the Atkins diet a try. I have over 100 lbs to lose, and my wife wants to lose 50.
Can anyone offer any advice or guide me where/how to start? Feel like crap all the time and I need to make a change FAST!! I have a 3 and 5 year old at home!!

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    If you will google "atkins diet" you will find plenty of information.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    TheOldBallCoach43420 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Been there, did that.
    Looking for THEE actual plan itself. Want to do the Atkins 20, but feel there is more to this than simply making sure we are eating less than 20 net carbs per day.

Every website has slightly differing information, but no real outline of the actual diet itself. Does that make sense?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    We just want to make sure we are doing it correctly to get us started because both of us have quite a bit of weight that we both need to lose. Is it really as simple as making sure you stay below 20-25 net carbs per day? We haven’t really found “the plan” anywhere. We have found the list of foods that have zero net carbs but does that mean you can eat them freely? Seems odd.

It's only going to work if you're in a calorie deficit. Few people can achieve that without trying. I think the only way to find the plan would be to buy a book containing it. Or do keto, which sounds like it'd be the same thing with those net carb numbers.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I did Atkins, I went to the bookstore and bought the book "Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution" by Dr. Atkins. It had all the information I needed. These days, I suppose you'd order whatever the most updated version of that is online since there aren't many bookstores left. I know there's Dr. Atkins NEW Diet Revolution as an updated book. I'm not sure if there have been any more updates since then.

After some experimentation, I found that my body doesn't like low carb. It doesn't like the standard high carb dietitian recommended diet either so I tend to keep them around 40ish% of my diet. Experiment and see what makes you feel most satiated and lose weight best.

One website I like for low carb recipes is yourlighterside.com

Best wishes to you.
  • kenthepainter2
    kenthepainter2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I follow the South Beach Diet , it is a variation of the Atkins Diet but allows for certain carbs and you wont be eating "all the bacon and cheese you want" . Low carb works well for me but I also stay within in a max calorie limit per day.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins waaaaay back when it was all the rage. I lost quite a bit of weight but was not able to maintain the loss because I couldn't live that way indefinately. If you want to do the diet he does tell you that calories don't count. I disagree because what made me lose wasn't the combination of foods but the fact that I quit being hungry. I got sick of eating nothing but protein and fat. The Keto diet is similar. For me (I have no gall bladder) I can't tolerate that level of fat anymore so I couldn't even try now. I finally lost the weight and kept it off by just counting calories.

If you are determined to eat Atkins style then I would suggest going to a book store and picking up the book. If you have second hand book stores you will likely find several copies available.

As I recall the first couple of weeks you were allowed nothing but protein and fat and for carb he suggested 4 ounces of hard cheese, 2 cups of lettuce, 2 TBS of heavy cream and 1/2 cup of strawberries per day. I believe that works out to around 20 grams of carb. He then suggests that you eat steak and eggs with bacon freely. Most folks can do that for a week or two. As you are doing that your body drops weight because you lose alot of water as your glycogen stores are used up. After the induction phase as he calls it you can add back something like 5 grams a week until you find you are no longer in Ketosis. Then you scale back to remain in ketosis. After a few weeks you no longer care to eat because it becomes so boring. I got to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore after about 3 months. I dropped around 40 lbs but gained it right back because I hadn't learned anything that would help me keep the weight off.

Good luck to you and your wife and I hope you find a plan you can live with. For more support on a low carb lifestyle I would suggest going to groups and searching on Low Carb. There is a big group with a whole bunch of people living this lifestyle. They can support you further.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I did Atkins waaaaay back when it was all the rage. I lost quite a bit of weight but was not able to maintain the loss because I couldn't live that way indefinately. If you want to do the diet he does tell you that calories don't count. I disagree because what made me lose wasn't the combination of foods but the fact that I quit being hungry. I got sick of eating nothing but protein and fat. The Keto diet is similar. For me (I have no gall bladder) I can't tolerate that level of fat anymore so I couldn't even try now. I finally lost the weight and kept it off by just counting calories.

If you are determined to eat Atkins style then I would suggest going to a book store and picking up the book. If you have second hand book stores you will likely find several copies available.

As I recall the first couple of weeks you were allowed nothing but protein and fat and for carb he suggested 4 ounces of hard cheese, 2 cups of lettuce, 2 TBS of heavy cream and 1/2 cup of strawberries per day. I believe that works out to around 20 grams of carb. He then suggests that you eat steak and eggs with bacon freely. Most folks can do that for a week or two. As you are doing that your body drops weight because you lose alot of water as your glycogen stores are used up. After the induction phase as he calls it you can add back something like 5 grams a week until you find you are no longer in Ketosis. Then you scale back to remain in ketosis. After a few weeks you no longer care to eat because it becomes so boring. I got to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore after about 3 months. I dropped around 40 lbs but gained it right back because I hadn't learned anything that would help me keep the weight off.

Good luck to you and your wife and I hope you find a plan you can live with. For more support on a low carb lifestyle I would suggest going to groups and searching on Low Carb. There is a big group with a whole bunch of people living this lifestyle. They can support you further.

The current plan structure has more variety/not as many restrictions. Atkins20 has 20-25g of net carbs mostly coming from their large list of 'foundation vegetables', along with up to 3-4 ounces of cheese, and then the trace carbs found in eggs, some seafood etc. You can actually get quite a bit of veggies in with that amount of net carbs.

By the time you get to Atkins100 you're eating quite a bit of carbs with lots of room for veggies, nuts and seeds, dairy, some fruit, sweets and grains etc.

I'm not following Atkins but I just got done reading a few of the books and have spent some time on their website. For me personally, I just decided to do a more general lower carb, higher fat way of eating but I do think the Atkins structure is good for those who are just starting out and need a bit more help.

Op, being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals is the foundation of any plan. Tracking calories, especially when starting out, is a very good idea to do alongside Atkins. And measuring out correct portion sizes on a food scale will be a huge help as well.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    @TheOldBallCoach43420
    Check this link out:
    https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1
    This starts with Phase 1. The blue ovals give other explanation to the plan, FAQs, tips, an an acceptable food list, how to transition to the next phase. For similar information on all other phases, look to the nav bar on the right. They're all listed.

This should help you figure things out without having to buy the book. If you have more specific questions after reading through that resource, the Low Carber Daily Forum may have folks who are on the plan and can aide you there. There are some other non-MFP forums where people are doing Atkins so if you don't get what you need from the Group, PM me and I can link you there.
    HTH :smile: