Please, will someone help me to work out my calories burned?

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    sefajane1 wrote: »
    Walking at 4mph for 48mins would be 3.2 miles.

Using physics (mass X distance X efficiency ratio) would give you a net calorie (note not gross calories that many apps and databases give you) would be 112lbs X 3.2miles X 0.3 efficiency ratio = 108cals.

BTW the efficiency ratio found by @shadow2soul sounds like it is a running formala (running is approximately twice as inefficient a movement as walking).

So about 50% of MFP's calculation? I halve all exercise calories already so I'll keep doing that. Thank you 👍

I wouldn't advise halving ALL exercise calories as few are double reality. If you believe that a particular estimate is double then, and only then, does halving make sense in a mathematical sense.
    Better to work on making your personal selection of regular exercise estimates reasonable.

The difference between net and gross calories is far more significant for low rate of burn but long duration exercise - like walking.

You're calculation was close to half the MFP estimation and as walking is the only exercise I can get at the moment it seems I'm right to halve the MFP calorie burn, as I have been doing.

I thought that maybe I'm burning more calories (via exercise) than I realised but, it seems I'm not.

Then as walking is your only exercise it makes sense for you.

But it wouldn't make sense for other people who do a selection of different exercises each of which may potentially have a set of different personal and generic inaccuracies.
    e.g. if walking is double reality it doesn't follow that the "strength training" database entry has the same degree of inaccuracy.

Except she's losing faster than she thinks she should be, she has a history of disordered thinking and besides, maybe 200 is right.

Here is a post she made in another thread:
    Ex anorexic here (more times than I care to remember at death's door) - believe me, starvation mode is not real.

I used the MFP numbers for food AND Exercise calories. I didn't use 50% of them, I ate every single delicious exercise calorie MyFitnessPal gave me when I was actively losing my 70+ pounds. They worked for me. The NEAT method that MFP uses (I believe) has a slightly higher calorie burn allotment. No need to undercut that even more if one is losing too quickly. I don't think the 200 calories is that far off. I always suggest people use the MFP numbers for a couple months and see what happens. For just as many people as not they are accurate.

sefajane1, you're teetering. Eat, eat more than 1200 and eat the exercise calories, all 208 of them.
    Good insight but...
    I wouldn't try to use slightly exaggerated walking calories to fix a fundamental problem with setting an inappropriate daily goal. Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic springs to mind.

Just the same as I wouldn't try to use deliberately under-estimated exercise calories to fix a food logging problem that many seem to try to do.

I've always eaten all my fairly spectacularly high amount of exercise calories and would encourage people just to see them as just a regular part of their calorie needs, not special or a bonus or a safety net....
    Maybe having confidence in their estimates helps some people do that.

In the end all we can offer is guidance and support.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't usually eat my exercise calories, so I just use what the site gives me as a guideline. I know if I've worked extremely hard during the day and need some extra calories to keep my muscle, and I just adjust accordingly. But if you use one site only, even if the numbers are wrong, you'll learn that system and eat accordingly. My suggestion... don't jump from site to site looking for the "correct" numbers... I don't think there are any, each body is different. Just use what you're given and work with that.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Walking at 4mph for 48mins would be 3.2 miles.

Using physics (mass X distance X efficiency ratio) would give you a net calorie (note not gross calories that many apps and databases give you) would be 112lbs X 3.2miles X 0.3 efficiency ratio = 108cals.

BTW the efficiency ratio found by @shadow2soul sounds like it is a running formala (running is approximately twice as inefficient a movement as walking).

So about 50% of MFP's calculation? I halve all exercise calories already so I'll keep doing that. Thank you 👍

I wouldn't advise halving ALL exercise calories as few are double reality. If you believe that a particular estimate is double then, and only then, does halving make sense in a mathematical sense.
    Better to work on making your personal selection of regular exercise estimates reasonable.

The difference between net and gross calories is far more significant for low rate of burn but long duration exercise - like walking.

You're calculation was close to half the MFP estimation and as walking is the only exercise I can get at the moment it seems I'm right to halve the MFP calorie burn, as I have been doing.

I thought that maybe I'm burning more calories (via exercise) than I realised but, it seems I'm not.

Then as walking is your only exercise it makes sense for you.

But it wouldn't make sense for other people who do a selection of different exercises each of which may potentially have a set of different personal and generic inaccuracies.
    e.g. if walking is double reality it doesn't follow that the "strength training" database entry has the same degree of inaccuracy.

Except she's losing faster than she thinks she should be, she has a history of disordered thinking and besides, maybe 200 is right.

Here is a post she made in another thread:
    Ex anorexic here (more times than I care to remember at death's door) - believe me, starvation mode is not real.

I used the MFP numbers for food AND Exercise calories. I didn't use 50% of them, I ate every single delicious exercise calorie MyFitnessPal gave me when I was actively losing my 70+ pounds. They worked for me. The NEAT method that MFP uses (I believe) has a slightly higher calorie burn allotment. No need to undercut that even more if one is losing too quickly. I don't think the 200 calories is that far off. I always suggest people use the MFP numbers for a couple months and see what happens. For just as many people as not they are accurate.

sefajane1, you're teetering. Eat, eat more than 1200 and eat the exercise calories, all 208 of them.
    Good insight but...
    I wouldn't try to use slightly exaggerated walking calories to fix a fundamental problem with setting an inappropriate daily goal. Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic springs to mind.

Just the same as I wouldn't try to use deliberately under-estimated exercise calories to fix a food logging problem that many seem to try to do.

I've always eaten all my fairly spectacularly high amount of exercise calories and would encourage people just to see them as just a regular part of their calorie needs, not special or a bonus or a safety net....
    Maybe having confidence in their estimates helps some people do that.

In the end all we can offer is guidance and support.

...and yet - the Exercise calories were spot-on for me with my walking, and using a food scale.

It's always about using one's own numbers over Time to establish Trends. Not relying on a website or some talkers on a forum thread. (I'm talking about not-listening-to-me-as-well-as-you.)

Where's that hug emo...?

But that's a false assumption.
    Your calorie balance worked out - that does not validate all the component parts of estimating CI and CO.
    2+2+2+2 = 8 and so does 1+1+3+3

None of us know our exact and changing BMR, activity and exercise precisely - nor to we need to in reality.
    I fully support adjustments based on long term results though.

What I'm trying to convey is that putting some effort into making the component estimates more reasonable increases the chances of getting the right outcome rather than deliberately skewing some of the estimates to compensate for others. It also tends to account for changes better.
  • sijomial
    Options
    I'm just trying to encourage eating a lot more.

She's at 21 BMI and still losing (and saying she doesn't know what to do) and she's worried about 100 calories give-or-take on a single day's exercise.

It's a lot bigger problem than that.

FFS!
    And adding 100 calories extra after a walk won't fix the bigger problem!

And that fix won't be universal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    And she's actually at 19 BMI. 112 pounds, 5'4" - if you look at the OP of this thread we're on now.

Here's the other thread where she says she's still eating 1200 (for those reading along...)
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43705487
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks @AnnPT77 (again 😁) and everyone else 😊

I will enjoy the family holiday and then after a week eating normally (as I do now) I'll see where I'm at, weight wise, and switch to maintenence 👍
  • ungowa1
    ungowa1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people can even be guessing your calorie burn without even asking you if you are walking up hills or not, makes a big difference.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    ungowa1 wrote: »
    I don't know how people can even be guessing your calorie burn without even asking you if you are walking up hills or not, makes a big difference.

I walk a street route, fairly level ground with just a few (4 or 5) slight inclines and declines. I realise that that's not much to go on but I was just after a rough idea to see if my calculations were right.

All sorted now anyway.