The last few pounds, what gives???

Replies

• LaurenMT96
    LaurenMT96 Posts: 184 Member
    edited May 2019
    Weigh-In today. Week 5 with no loss :(
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    If it's been 5 weeks now, consider dropping your cals a little. Because you're so close to goal weight I'd say don't drop more than 100-150 per day. Did you say you were on 1700 currently? Alternatively, up your activity levels.
  • LaurenMT96
    edited May 2019
    @shaf238 Yes I'm on 1700 net, set at losing 1lb per week on lightly active.
    I may have to cut cals.
    I don't think I can be anymore active, I work 45 hour week, strength train 3-4 times a week, own 2 horses and a dog which all need to be looked after and exercised, I dont know what more I can do haha!
    I was losing consistently until i started lifting.
  • shaf238
    edited May 2019
    At 1700 you've got a bit of leeway to cut down a hundred or so calories. Give that a go for a month and see what happens. Also, given you're so close I'd suggest a rate of losing 0.5lbs per week.
  • LaurenMT96
    shaf238 wrote: »
    At 1700 you've got a bit of leeway to cut down a hundred or so calories. Give that a go for a month and see what happens. Also, given you're so close I'd suggest a rate of losing 0.5lbs per week.

Thankyou, wouldn’t reducing my rate of loss increase my calories? Or am I being dumb??
  • LaurenMT96
  • shaf238
    Yes it would but you should be reducing the rate of loss when you're within a few lbs of your goal weight anyway. What I was (poorly) trying to say is when you weigh yourself over the next few weeks you should only be seeing 0.5lb loss per week (obviously sometimes this may be masked by other facts so patience will be needed!).
  • LaurenMT96
    edited June 2019
    8.5 weeks, no Loss. Cals still averaging at 1700 net/day for the week. Thinking of trying a reverse diet, any experiences or tips anyone??
  • LaurenMT96
    edited June 2019
    @Panini911 I was hoping the same would happen to me! I have been in a deficit for 71 weeks (with 2/3 diet breaks) and lost 95lbs. I have 3lb until goal weight but I am sick of sitting at this weight..

I was thinking maybe as i've been in a deficit for so many weeks, my metabolism has adapted, maybe time for a reverse diet back upto maintenance?
    Never done it before but maybe once I settled there for a few months I could drop the last 3!
  • LaurenMT96
    @panini911 Congrats on the loss by the way !! Amazing
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Thanks

if there is no health issue i'd assume it is an issue with calorie calculations (be it food or exercise).
  • LaurenMT96
    @panini911 I don't think so, I weigh and log everything, always have done through my weight loss. It worked well for the first 95lbs / 63 Weeks. I had 2 Weeks no loss (after losing 1lb per week consistently) So started lifting and 8.5 weeks later still no loss x
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I feel your pain. I never did get to my ultimate goal weight after a loss of about 108 lbs. I am still 10 lbs away a year and a half later. If you really want to hit that goal you may have to accept that 1700 calories is not right for you and drop a couple hundred calories down. I have a slow thyroid and even though I am medicated I suspect that's my issue. Some of us are just what horse folk call "easy keepers". My dad used to tell me if there were a famine he and I would last longer, lol. Incidentally you look great in your profile pic. Congrats on the great loss!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    LaurenMT96 wrote: »
    @panini911 I don't think so, I weigh and log everything, always have done through my weight loss. It worked well for the first 95lbs / 63 Weeks. I had 2 Weeks no loss (after losing 1lb per week consistently) So started lifting and 8.5 weeks later still no loss x

How often have you taken a diet break in the 95 pounds you lost? If you have not taken one, now is a good time.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • LaurenMT96
    edited June 2019
    Thankyou @cheryldumais I am 5 foot 8 though so I can't imagine my maintenance cals are 1700, unless my metabolism has adapted due to so long in a deficit? Who knows.

@NovusDies I had 1 when i went on holiday to Egypt (SEP 2018) and one at Christmas 2018 ( both over a week long) and a 5 day break at easter.. other than that I haven't had any others.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Your metabolism wouldn't adapt down that much if you believe your maintenance TDEE is around 2200. From what I know adaptation happens in a very unhealthy weight loss pattern over an extended period of time not just because you are in a prolonged deficit.

What was your rate of loss for the last 2 months before you stopped seeing positive progress?

Have you been travelling more? Under more stress than usual for some reason?
  • LaurenMT96
    @NovusDies I started out all wrong, was losing 3lb per week on 1200 cals for 10 weeks, my RoL was set at 2lb per week until Xmas 2018, then down to 1.5lb per week in Jan, and 1lb per week in Feb to now, However end of April was when i just ground to a halt.
    No nothing has changed, If it's not my metabolism.. I really dont know what or how to fix it.