The last few pounds, what gives???

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    LaurenMT96 wrote: »
    @NovusDies I started out all wrong, was losing 3lb per week on 1200 cals for 10 weeks, my RoL was set at 2lb per week until Xmas 2018, then down to 1.5lb per week in Jan, and 1lb per week in Feb to now, However end of April was when i just ground to a halt.
    No nothing has changed, If it's not my metabolism.. I really dont know what or how to fix it.

You started at 260ish, right? You were losing too fast but you had plenty of fat stores originally and you only did it for 10 weeks. I am no expert but it is extremely unlikely you did any damage to yourself.

What was your weight at the first of February and then at the end of March?
  • LaurenMT96
    LaurenMT96 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    yyvdi3ucavsd.png
    lcshe84znqup.png
    @NovusDies I am a data geek, that is all of my weigh-ins, Feb end weight 170 March end weight was 166.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    As for maintenance calories, I can tell you that my maintenance is around 1350 (before exercise), I'm 5'5" and about 148 lbs. I'm 62 years old. I've spoken to my doctor about how low I have to go to maintain and he says it has to do with how much weight I lost. I asked him if it would ever get better and he said it might, eventually.

Nothing you can do about it but try to build some muscle which you are already doing. Outside of that I don't know what else to tell you. Good luck.
  • LaurenMT96
    Options
    @quiksylver296 Yeah I did as thought this may be the reason, By Friday i am always 165. give or take 0.1 or 0.2 lb
  • LaurenMT96
    Options
    I even tested the accuracy getting on/off holding a few of my weight plates and they were bob-on!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    So your rate of loss between Feb 1 and March 29 was .91 pounds per week representing a daily deficit average of 456.25 calories.

On what date did you add in your strength training? I would rather not mention this but it appears it is typical for you to have a negative number around the first week of the month. Is it safe to assume that is part of your cycle?
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Oh and I should mention I have no idea what it is like in your situation. I still have a long way to go before I run into my last few pounds. I am kind of decent at data analysis though so I will help with what I see but for actual experience you need to lean on others.
  • LaurenMT96
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @NovusDies I started around week 64/65, i had a scale spike (doms) but didn't log as i knew it was my muscles repairing, I was back down to 165 after a week or 2 and sat there ever since.

And unfortunately not, I don't have a period due to the type of birth control pill that I'm on (but that's normal/good for someone with PCOS according to my doc!) It may be the payday splurge at the start
    of the month lol
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I am same height but weigh less and I seriously doubt 1700 is your maintenance if you are active and lifting. I took a quick peek at your diary and it appears you net out 1700 for the week but have bigger weekend calories and restaurant meals. My weight always spikes up after larger calorie days and eating out and then will take days to get back down to where I was before. It is likely that you are eating more calories than you think on the weekends and messing up the deficit you made during the week.

If I were you, I would try to eat a consistent calorie amount every day and eat at home as much as possible, weighing every single thing before I start worrying about my metabolism. It is more likely you are just eating more than you think.
  • LaurenMT96
    Options
    @dmt4641 I have done average weekly calories all the way through my weight loss, it would be a bummer to have to change my routine now but I'm willing to give anything a go! I will try to net 1700 daily rather than Weekly and see what that does to my next friday weigh in, Thankyou :smile:
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this article last year and I loved it. It looks like it may have even been updated recently. Not sure if you will find anything that hits home with you, but it might be worth a read...
    https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • dmt4641
    Options
    The last few pounds require much stricter logging. What worked in the beginning won't necessarily work at the end. I eat out and have cocktails too, but I know the result will be bloating and weight gain that will take a few days to go back down. That can really mask your fat loss. I think you could go a little higher on weekends, but 2500 to 1400 calories are big swings. Maybe do 1900 a couple days and 1600 other days so you will always be in a deficit each day instead of several days over maintenance.

I would also change to .5 lb a week at some point soon once your weight starts going in the right direction. And at this point you should worry more about inches lost and how your clothes fit and progress pictures. My weight has barely moved in the past few months but I've lots inches everywhere and look more toned because I am being very consistent with my weight training. And if you are only one month into weight lifting, be patient and in a few months you will see some amazing changes in your body regardless of whether you weight has gone down very much. Newbie gains!! What program are you doing?

• NovusDies
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @NovusDies I started around week 64/65, i had a scale spike (doms) but didn't log as i knew it was my muscles repairing, I was back down to 165 after a week or 2 and sat there ever since.

And unfortunately not, I don't have a period due to the type of birth control pill that I'm on (but that's normal/good for someone with PCOS according to my doc!) It may be the payday splurge at the start
    of the month lol

Correct me if I am wrong but can't you still experience some aspects of your cycle even if it is being controlled?

Anyway the numbers do not lie. You can't wake up one day and suddenly a deficit average of 456 calories evaporates into thin air.

If nothing has indeed changed my opinin, fwiw, is that you will woosh in the next week or so.

• LaurenMT96
    edited June 2019
    Options
    7eifukyyna0c.jpeg
    @dmt4641 My lifting Is going well, this was a few days ago, I already have good lower body strength from horse riding and doing barn chores day in day out (pushing wheelbarrows carrying heavy buckets etc) but I put my own program together (don’t shoot me) with an upper lower body split, I’m enjoying it though so far!
  • LaurenMT96
    Options
    @NovusDies I'm not sure... that is interesting though, I may have to do some research!

Thanks for all your help, I will keep on keeping on!
  • dmt4641
    Options
    A structured progressive overload program would help you get the most out of your newbie gains. I have done several of them, but now I do Alexia Clark workouts because I enjoy them and never get bored. I have actually gotten the best results from this program because I am very consistent with it because its enjoyable. The best program is the one you actually do!
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Whatever you are doing Lauren - you look fantastic :)
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thankyou @cheryldumais I am 5 foot 8 though so I can't imagine my maintenance cals are 1700, unless my metabolism has adapted due to so long in a deficit? Who knows.

@NovusDies I had 1 when i went on holiday to Egypt (SEP 2018) and one at Christmas 2018 ( both over a week long) and a 5 day break at easter.. other than that I haven't had any others.

I am 5'7.5'' and my maintennance is at 1750 or so. I am cutting to 1500 to lose .5 pounds a week. I set MFP at sedentary as I have an office job but add and eat back my exercise calories (I estimate those modestly). I don't think it's unreasonable that your maintenance is 1700 at all...