Sugar and keto

Options
2»

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’3 and weigh 11 stone 11lbs. According to the Nhs guidelines I’m overweight verging on obese!!!

I'm morbidly obese and eat closer to 1600 calories a day, that's twice as much as you. I'm still averaging 3lbs per week which is technically too fast. You should definitely spend some time reading through the message boards here and reading about too-low calorie diets. You are seriously setting yourself up for failure.

And to answer your original question, if your goal is simply ketosis, then technically you'd still be able to achieve that using Sugar in your coffee, however*, if you are looking towards keto to help with blood sugar regulation, and based on the current "diet" you are following you probably are, then you should be avoid sweeteners all together, both table sugar as well as artifical sweeteners. I'd even go so far as to recommend avoiding fruits in the beginning until you get to a point where you are better able to regulate your blood glucose.

I follow a Whole Foods Keto Diet and really enjoy my way of eating and it is a fantastic tool to help control my cravings and stay within my daily calorie goals.

*Keto has been shown to help improve blood sugar numbers and even reverse Type II Diabetes/Pre-Diabetes/Insulin Resistance. If these Dx don't apply to you, then there is no reason for you to follow Keto for blood sugar regulation.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’3 and weigh 11 stone 11lbs. According to the Nhs guidelines I’m overweight verging on obese!!!

I'm morbidly obese and eat closer to 1600 calories a day, that's twice as much as you. I'm still averaging 3lbs per week which is technically too fast. You should definitely spend some time reading through the message boards here and reading about too-low calorie diets. You are seriously setting yourself up for failure.

And to answer your original question, if your goal is simply ketosis, then technically you'd still be able to achieve that using Sugar in your coffee, however*, if you are looking towards keto to help with blood sugar regulation, and based on the current "diet" you are following you probably are, then you should be avoid sweeteners all together, both table sugar as well as artifical sweeteners. I'd even go so far as to recommend avoiding fruits in the beginning until you get to a point where you are better able to regulate your blood glucose.

I follow a Whole Foods Keto Diet and really enjoy my way of eating and it is a fantastic tool to help control my cravings and stay within my daily calorie goals.

*Keto has been shown to help improve blood sugar numbers and even reverse Type II Diabetes/Pre-Diabetes/Insulin Resistance. If these Dx don't apply to you, then there is no reason for you to follow Keto for blood sugar regulation.

A bit of a side trail, but this is a pretty neat video where they test various sugar substitutes. A couple of the artificial sweeteners had no effect on blood sugar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfqvTZWilw&feature=youtu.be
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Thanks all for your replies! I’ve been following the blood sugar diet and it’s an 8 week plan at 800 cals a day
    800 calories a day for 8 weeks is in no way a good idea...
    I’ve lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks so it’s working
    You have successfully lost a little water and a lot of muscle. Probably very little fat if any...

If one loses weight/fat at a deficit -- which she is, why does it matter if she is eating 800 calories, or at 1500? A deficit is a deficit, so why does 400, or 700 calories make a difference?

Calories are the fuel your body uses to do the important stuff it does that literally keep you alive, and it can only burn so much body fat at any given time. So if you undereat, your body will try to burn muscle to make up the difference, and if it can't get enough energy from even burning some muscle, it will simply not do some of the things you need it to do to stay healthy. It's why anorexics will eventually die.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

Losing weight in a healthy manner us about finding the middle ground where you are giving your body enough calories to be healthy, but still staying in a deficit so it has to get a little extra energy by burning body fat.

I am not entirely sure that is correct.
    Calories is just food, but its the carbs that fuel your body, and if you don't eat the carbs, then the storage carbs/fat is used to fuel the body. Right. So I believe this because there are people who are 600 lbs, and lose weight at 12000 calories, they are able to lose a 1 lbs a day.
    Why is there a difference between some one who is 400 lbs over weight vs some who is 50lbs over weight.

Now also, just because there are discussions -- The question is what is the medical background of everybody one the website... Just because on here doesn't make it true.

You don't have to have a medical background to know how the body works.
    People who are 600 lbs can lose weight at an otherwise dangerous rate because the danger of weighing 600 lbs is worse than the danger of losing weight quickly. They should be monitored by a doctor to make sure the fast weight loss isn't causing any serious issues.

I'm fine with the advice I'm giving some one being corrected if I'm wrong. If you have sources that suggest what I've posted is incorrect, I'd love to learn more. :smile:

This.

Morbidly obese people who are in a life and death situation will sometimes be given the ok to lose weight rapidly-under the close supervision of a doctor. For someone like the OP, who isn't even that overweight, eating a VLCD is doing way more harm than any good.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Thanks all for your replies! I’ve been following the blood sugar diet and it’s an 8 week plan at 800 cals a day
    800 calories a day for 8 weeks is in no way a good idea...
    I’ve lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks so it’s working
    You have successfully lost a little water and a lot of muscle. Probably very little fat if any...

If one loses weight/fat at a deficit -- which she is, why does it matter if she is eating 800 calories, or at 1500? A deficit is a deficit, so why does 400, or 700 calories make a difference?

It matters when you consider the rate of weight loss...
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi, yeah I do exercise, spin twice a week and a couple of resistance workouts. I’ve tried sugar substitutes before but can’t stand the taste. I can spot fake sugar a mile off 😃

Hiya OP - I also struggle with AS however I am getting on with the Tate and Lyle half brown sugar half stevia - might be worth a go !

Also, I did the 800cal blood diet this year for 12 weeks (high starting weight) monitoring my BP and BG as I went as I was just about hitting T2 critieria.

I tweaked it and did 800 cals NET (so I ate my exercise calories, Med style diet) - I found it easier to split this over 2 meals and found for the first time ever I think that I dont need to eat all the time after all. It has definitely reset my thinking about how often I have to eat and what I can manage perfectly well on portion-wise. MFP has taught me the importance of using a scale !

I also think when the overall calorie intake is very low, you dont have to remove sugar or reduce it to the point where it makes it all a bit hard and difficult - I say be damned and have the coffee ! I couldnt cut my tea back at all and still lost a truck load of weight.

My health markers are now normal (not even pre diabetic !) apart from still being fat :) so I've upped my calories and am keeping to the same woe to lose weight at a slower rate.

VLCD's do seem to be unpopular on MFP however the NHS are trialling this as a first line of treatment for T2 - reference info for the woo-ers is here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#overview

OP I dont know if you have any issues with blood sugar or it was just that this diet appealled - but if you want to add me as a friend to compare notes, please feel free !

Good luck !