Sugar and keto

Options
Hi all- I’m new to the keto diet, 2nd week in- macros are 10%carbs/ 50 fat and 40 protein roughly- can I ask does it matter what my carbs are made up of- the reason I ask is I totally crave and miss white coffee with one sugar- I’d limit myself to one a day and if I count this in my macros is it ok? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nope. Sugar is sugar regardless of the source. Some metabolize quicker than others but that isnt a huge deal. You could always slowly transition to nutritional sweeteners to save calories later on if you prefer to save the calories
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    How many coffees a day and do you drink it black? If it was one black coffee a day with a one teaspoon (not heaped) of sugar it probably would be fine

I would think that you want to try and use a lot of your carbs for non starchy veg where possible.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2019
    Options
    elliej wrote: »
    To reach ketosis you should probably be aiming for a max of around 40 grams of carbs and 75 grams of protein per 2000 daily cals, and just one tsp of sugar has 5g carbs. However, I see you're actually setting your diary at 800 calories a day, which sounds to me like it cannot possibly be enough to sustain your bodies basic functions for any length of time and surely is not enjoyable.

Also the whole point of a true ketogenic diet is that instead of relying on sugar (glucose) that comes from carbohydrates (such as grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits - and yes, white sugar) in your diet, it relies on ketone bodies, which your liver produces from fat. So eating white sugar really defies to point, even if it does fit your macros.

From what I understand, ketogenic is a short term and extreme diet which shouldn't be undertaken lightly.

Ketosis can certainly happen at higher rates of carbs, especially if it's coming from fibrous sources, and that is completely false about protein. It takes insane amounts of protein to have an effect and the people spouting that non sense don't have evidence to support their claims. If anything, it might have a minor effect on short term ketone production, but what is more important is protein supports muscle retention, metabolism and overall health.

I certainly agree on the calorie thing. 800 calories is going to be bad for overall health, could lead to deficiencies, and is a great opportunity to lose muscle.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon my comment wasn't supposed to be any note on OPs protein intake and is likely the only thing making 800cals a day remotely satisfying! Now edited

My general point was regarding sugar and that while 'keto' is often a buzzword/fad diet looking into the science behind why it works and what it's for may be helpful, perhaps I should have just said that.
  • mirandafinch
    mirandafinch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies! I’ve been following the blood sugar diet and it’s an 8 week plan at 800 cals a day- after that time you up things. I’ve lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks so it’s working but I still crave coffee and sugar- I used to have about 8 cups a day 😱 but would be happy with one at the moment! 🤔😬😃
  • mirandafinch
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your replies! I’ve been following the blood sugar diet and it’s an 8 week plan at 800 cals a day- after that time you up things. I’ve lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks so it’s working but I still crave coffee and sugar- I used to have about 8 cups a day 😱 but would be happy with one at the moment! 🤔😬😃

Op, what are your stats? 800 calories is a really bad idea unless you're morbidly obese and doing a supervised plan under a doctor.

I used to respect Mosley but he's really gone off the deep end with his new plan. 800 calories a day, every day, is a horrible idea and it's just setting people up for failure and health problems.

• mirandafinch
    Options
    I’m 5’3 and weigh 11 stone 11lbs. According to the Nhs guidelines I’m overweight verging on obese!!!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    800 calories is drastically under eating and can lead to possible health issues. There is no need to take such drastic measures to lose weight unless medically supervised/required.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Hi all- I’m new to the keto diet, 2nd week in- macros are 10%carbs/ 50 fat and 40 protein roughly- can I ask does it matter what my carbs are made up of- the reason I ask is I totally crave and miss white coffee with one sugar- I’d limit myself to one a day and if I count this in my macros is it ok? Thanks in advance!

If doing keto, the coffee with sugar might come at the expense of nutrients found in fruits and veggies. It's only an issue since your doing keto. You only have so much to spend on carbs...
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    @mirandafinch --
    You could have a bigger cup of coffee with lower amounts of sugar. Do that for a bit, until you can wing your self off of sugar.
    Could you take sugar substitute.
  • mirandafinch
    Options
    Hi, yeah I do exercise, spin twice a week and a couple of resistance workouts. I’ve tried sugar substitutes before but can’t stand the taste. I can spot fake sugar a mile off 😃