How often should you lift weights?

Options
achagpar
achagpar Posts: 493 Member
Hi all! I’m female, 47, 121 lbs; losing my last 6 lbs and have incorporated weights into my workouts (thanks to a lot of advice from all of you!). The goal is weight loss/toning/retain muscle (not really looking to gain weight or bulk up). My question is how often should you lift? I am doing classes like BodyPump. Should I do this everyday? Most days? Take a rest day in between days? Any advice you have would be very helpful! Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes leave a rest day in between. Workouts tear down your muscles. Rest days let them rebuild, which is what makes them stronger.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I would recommend choosing a program to follow. There are quite a few listed here.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That will address most of the questions you may have about frequency, how many sets etc.
  • achagpar
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Given your goal, with the right whole-body workout, once a week would get your job done but it would be a challenging workout.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I would recommend choosing a program to follow. There are quite a few listed here.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That will address most of the questions you may have about frequency, how many sets etc.

This^ and after trying a program for a few weeks, see how well you recover and adapt from there. Either increase volume or decrease it. But without know how the program is designed, there is no way to answer your question effectively. Most programs will specify the starting volume and schedule, including rest days.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the program. I do full-body, so can get by on twice per week, especially if I have a third day for some accessories. If you only do body pump as your strength training, just do alternate days.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I do full-body lifting 3x a week, Mon/Weds/Fri. I was afraid of bulking my thighs but it isn’t happening. I am really pleased with how it seems to be reshaping my body even after only 3 months.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I do dumbbells 5 days a week alternating between lower body and upper body/core. (This week, it's lower body today/Tues/Thurs and upper/core on Mon/Wed; next week it'll be upper/core on Sun/Tue/Thurs, lower on Mon/Wed).
  • achagpar
    Options
    Thanks all!