Does apple cider vinegar help weight loss?

I'm curious to what are people's experiences with this? As I see the mentioned in a lot of weight loss YouTube videos & I'm skeptical. Drinking any type of vinegar doesn't seem healthy.

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    It's great for removing rust. :)
  • Dandylines
    Dandylines Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2019
    Another fad going around again. I tried it once and agree - it is awful and not worth it. No short cuts for me. Also not really proven in spite of the hype.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    There is a little research that might suggest vinegars, or Apple cider vinegar, might have some impact on a variety of things that can impact weight loss (this has a bit of a summation on studies done - https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/apple-cider-vinegar-weight-loss#section3 ).

But I don't know how useful the studies are; I haven't looked into it much, honestly. But from what I've seen, some of them had exceptionally small participant sizes (like, 11 people in the study kind of small), some are only animal based as yet. Some had some interesting information that looks like it would be fun to explore further, but I don't think I've seen anything definitive anywhere.

And also, the bits and pieces of diet recommendation for ACV I've seen seem to have far more claims than any sort of research has suggested, or proven. Kind of in that category of 'I took a small study and created an empire of assumptions about the data!'

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Can make you nauseous and eat less maybe....🤔 I have nor seen any CONVINCING evidence so far...
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    I don't know why so many youtubers believe that ACV will aid their weightloss efforts, it's mind boggling.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    It may help with weight loss, just not the type you're looking for...

"If you drink too much at one time, apple cider vinegar may actually cause diarrhea."
    - https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/apple-cider-vinegar-diarrhea#risks-and-warnings

Maybe this it what the YouTubers are raving about? ;)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    No
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Can make you nauseous and eat less maybe....🤔 I have nor seen any CONVINCING evidence so far...

That's what my thoughts were.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Not sure about weight loss but it does taste great, even making salad (a food I am not a fan of) more than edibubble.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    It is good to be skeptical. I think a good rule of thumb is that if anything was proven to be a quick fix for weight loss it would be a HUGE news story. You will see people come through here claiming that on keto or something they can eat a seemingly huge number of calories and lose or maintain weight but it hasn't made CNN because it is a misinterpretation of data or trolling.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Can make you nauseous and eat less maybe....🤔

That is basically my personal experience. I was given a sample bottle of apple juice with ACV...It was awful. My son was nearly sick after drinking half a glass. The rest of us had a small taste and didn't like it, and it ended up down the drain. No one really felt like eating anything for a while.

That said, I quite like a small bit of vinegar as a salad dressing sometimes.