Does apple cider vinegar help weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I suppose it would for me as I find vinegar to be emetic, but I don't think it would hold for others, nor would I use it for myself.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Can make you nauseous and eat less maybe....🤔

That is basically my personal experience. I was given a sample bottle of apple juice with ACV...It was awful. My son was nearly sick after drinking half a glass. The rest of us had a small taste and didn't like it, and it ended up down the drain. No one really felt like eating anything for a while.

That said, I quite like a small bit of vinegar as a salad dressing sometimes.

Was that half a glass of neat ACV ?!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    I use high quality vinegars but in a totally different way. A good quality flavored vinegar (I use a local brand called Oli+Ve but there lots of gourmet brands out there ) can have as little as 10 calories per tablespoon. It runs $10 bucks a bottle, but little goes a looooong way and I seldom use a tablespoon. I use simple flavored vinegars for salad dressings. Breakfast this morning is cottage cheese, blueberries, strawberries, a few grams of grape nuts and 12 grams of strawberry vinegar. Their chocolate vinegar is great on yogurt, and makes a killer base for pork carnitas. Fig balsamic makes a great marinade for pork tenderloin. Honey- ginger balsamic makes a nice light stir fry seasoning. I have a whole arsenal of flavored vinegars, and consider them my secret weapon of weight loss, lol.

I tried drinking the Bragg’s ACV years ago for acid reflux. It neither helped nor hindered. Changing what I ate? Years of tormenting, painful reflux was gone within a couple of weeks. Thank heavens!!!!!!
  • 171lake
    171lake Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have an ounce a day. I have it in the morning. It wakes me up (flavor is so astringent that I don’t need coffee) and flavor makes it that I don’t crave food for a few hours. I’m also sure that could be accomplished with other foods too.

I know the reason I’m losing weight is that I’m eating less than I’m burning, but for me apple cider vinegar has been a good ingredient in a diet of mostly good ingredients helping me in weight loss.
  • bigmanatee
    bigmanatee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29091513

A very respectable journal article on rats benefiting from ACV. If you know any overweight rats please inform them of the benefits!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unless drinking it makes you throw up all your food, otherwise no.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    ACV made me eat more. I tasted it out of curiosity and it was so gross I had to eat garlic mashed potatoes to cover it up. Those were some good potatoes.

Might go good on french fries, though. I love regular vinegar on french fries. Anyone ever have Gibby's fries? They're always at our local festivals, which are coming up soon. I always get french fries with my parents and we watch the airshow, which is generally either the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds. I can't remember which this year. I hope it's not too hot.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    ACV made me eat more. I tasted it out of curiosity and it was so gross I had to eat garlic mashed potatoes to cover it up. Those were some good potatoes.

Might go good on french fries, though. I love regular vinegar on french fries. Anyone ever have Gibby's fries? They're always at our local festivals, which are coming up soon. I always get french fries with my parents and we watch the airshow, which is generally either the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds. I can't remember which this year. I hope it's not too hot.

Malt vinegar is better on french fries. ACV is better in cocktails (really), or fruit salads. Balsamic is good in most everything. ;)