Does anyone else hate running with earplug headphones?

Options
2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Aftershokz but will probably be sending them back: not loud enough outdoors unless you wear the earplugs. Aaaaagh!

I don't find induction headphones loud enough outdoors, either, and they kind of "buzz" at the loudest setting (at least the couple I tried) and still not loud enough.

Keep in mind you won't like any earphones if it's loud outdoor, it's either running "underwater" with noise cancelling earphones, or having to deal with the outside noise and wind with the over ear design. I have not found anything that is good enough for loud and windy outdoors, but a quality over ear design that is capable of getting loud can feel less annoying than hearing your own footsteps inside your head.
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I love my mpow's. They we're $35 Canadian through Amazon. And they are perfect.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Aftershokz but will probably be sending them back: not loud enough outdoors unless you wear the earplugs. Aaaaagh!

This surprises me since I can make them loud enough to not hear my surroundings. I guess it may have something to do with my head shape and size. They seem to work for me.

Good luck finding something you like. I've been buying 1-2 new ones a year until I finally found the Aftershokz.
  • deetucker70
    deetucker70 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I second the Aftershokz. They are awesome. I run alone often so my son got these for me for Christmas. You can listen to your music but still hear your surroundings.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options
    WandRsmom wrote: »
    I love my mpow's. They we're $35 Canadian through Amazon. And they are perfect.

I second Mpow! I have a pair of the mpow flame, and I love them (I think it was 20-25 USD)! I use them for every workout, and charge them maybe once a week, but they're only ever really down to 80%!

I am going to look into another pair but *maybe* without the cord. I have held onto them for a while, but am more afraid of losing a bud if they're completely loose!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options

Well, after that rant, they actually worked well for listening to the news while I ran today. They're growing on me, I guess.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    alondrakar wrote: »
    I bought my husband the Jabra Elite Active 65t Alexa Enabled True Wireless Sports Earbuds off of Amazon and he absolutely loves them. Can't leave home without them. He thought people with Airpods on looked funny (and I agreed). Ha!

I thought I was weird for thinking that! I never mentioned it to anyone because it's silly, but something about plastic sticks coming out of someone's ears feels like a sci-fi B-movie.

They remind me of the "is that hairgel?" scene from There's Something about Mary.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I had jaybirds for about two years and they suddenly stopped connecting to anything. Even support couldn’t help. They were okay for general workouts but even bear crawls I had to keep adjusting them. Moved on to a pair of fully wireless Sennheiser Momentum’s and absolutely love them. I don’t run but for cardio I do heavy bag and double end bag work and even with 45 minutes of straight impact I never have to adjust them. They stay put and the sound is fantastic.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Powerbeats 3 Bluetooth works for me.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    This is now an old thread, but my update is that I now use Aftershokz and I love them in terms of listening to mostly news while I run. I can still hear ambient sounds, which is great

I only wish they wouldn't slip down the back of my neck and get caught on my collar. I spend a little time pushing them back up.
  • Member75234
    Member75234 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes! Its terrible, I don't like hearing myself breath, swallow, etc.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I got mine at walmart... they are wireless, and they kind that go over your ears so they stay in place. They work fine.
  • Idratherberunning2017
    Idratherberunning2017 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have Plantronics BackBeat FIT wireless. You don't shove them into your ear, the part that holds them sits over your ear. I love the battery life and the fact that they don't cancel all sound outside. When I decided to buy them upon recommendation, some Amazon reviews complained that they bounce on their neck, but this has not been my experience because I'm not exceptionally bouncy when I run, so that's something to consider. I have to say they're the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned.

I second these for running. I spent a lot on Beats wireless only to find out they aren’t sweat proof. They died within a week or so.

I found the back beats at Costco and I love everything you said. Plus, tight fitting plugs cause suction in my ears when running. That seriously messes up my hearing for days. I do not have that problem with back beat, and they seem quite sweat proof so far.

Yes, I’m a sweater, why do you ask🥵🥵🥵

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    dmanakho wrote: »
    I hate running... :blush::s

Me too, and I hate headphones too :s .
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love my AirPods but not for working out. They losen up every once in a while due to sweat. It’s super annoying to be in the zone and have to readjust.
    Ive been looking for a decent quality Bluetooth over the ear kind but they all seem so bulky...
  • aziz_n1
    aziz_n1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I gave up with earplug phones as they kept falling out of my ears. Have therefore gone back to slimline headphones with a lead connecting to my phone. Old fashioned, maybe, but they work.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I made my own plugs at work, drilled them to fit over the buds, and they work a treat.

bmx93g44birw.jpg