Eating and burning calories

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!
    I need some help please?
    MFP has set my calorie intake at 1200. When I input my calorie burn, it adds it to the amount of calories I need to eat.
    I'm a little confused! If I have my full 1200 calories a day but go to the gym and burn 800 calories, do I need to then make sure I eat those calories again?
    I thought I needed a calorie deficit, so burn more calories than I eat?

If some one could help me that would be amazing 😊

1200 calories per day is your deficit without exercise. Burning 800 calories in a gym session would be a pretty substantial session in the gym and could be inflated...but, only eating 1200 and burning 800 would give you a net calorie intake of only 400 calories which is pretty much the same thing as only eating 400 calories. Does that sound remotely healthy to you?

Your body needs calories (energy) to function. You burn a *kitten* ton of calories merely existing. Not providing your body with adequate energy will ultimately result in your body shutting down "non-essential" function like growing hair, nails turning brittle, loss of menstrual cycle, etc in order to conserve energy.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Since every "body" is the same according to some
    When one's body says feed me do they choose the milkshake @1500 calories, or the 1500kal meal or do they choose, the 4/8/12 oz chicken/fish.

"My body's signals are subtle (tiredness and indecision) and easily overlooked. My mind's signals are powerful and impossible to go against once established." Question , if you are already overweight, then you will always be overweight?

Listening to what I thought were my body's signals resulted in my being morbidly obese for thirty years, yes. You know how I lost all that weight? By ignoring those signals. --- And you don't think you could have had the
    same result by making better food decisions?
    What I am saying, There are people who are hungry, they don't go for the 1500 kal meal, they go for
    cheese/fish/meat/ protein shake

What I am saying is that this requires people to be able to accurately tell whether they're hungry and what they need. Many people can't.

Hunger and need are two different thing... People don't need a Mcdonalds meal, they choose to eat it.

"If I heard my body clearly, do you think I would binge eat" Again, why didn't you binge eat on fish/chicken/plain salad. Who fed the body the milkshake?. You heard your body correctly and clearly you choose something that was quick and easy and filled with calories and not something like celery. tuna, or something else.

Why are you assuming that this had anything to do with signals from my body?

Yes. from what you just said, Yes.
    "My mind's signals are powerful and impossible to go against once established"
    Your body stated it needed food. Your mind stated, let me eat an entire box of pasta.
    You choose to do that.

...and if my body actually did signal a genuine need for energy, why do you think it would be a good idea to give it things that provided almost none?
    Better to give that body - Plain salad w/chicken than a McDonald meal

Can you please learn how to quote and reply without jamming your text together with the text you're replying to?

And you are once again ignoring my repeated point: when I feel 'hungry' it has nothing to do with my body.

Let me state that again: my feelings of hunger are not signals from my body. Can you understand that simple concept?

O.k -- If you say so.

Thankyou. I'm genuinely glad that you've taken that information on board. I hope you find it explains a few things.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Simple example of how listening to the body can fool someone if they don't understand the language - hence it being foreign until you learn it.

The person that hears the advice to eat many small meals a day - and they make them healthy, fruits, vegetables, whole grain, milk-related, ect. But that's all they've heard and really know about nutrition.
    This is far from far-fetched level of knowledge for many - they've heard and remember a few pointers over the years.

Their snacks are small 150-250 calories - high carb content since what they've heard.

About 45-60 min after each snack - they feel very hungry so they eat their next snack even though it was for another 1-2 hrs out.

They have no idea about the spike to insulin and then resulting low-blood sugar they receive, making them feel hungry well before they really need to eat.
    Making it very difficult to maintain that method - perhaps ultimately failing by some amount as more snacks are eaten.

The other easy example is taking a steep deficit, and after a short bit not feeling hungry.
    Not realizing the body has likely slowed them down in daily activity, and perhaps some high level metabolism functions - so they are actually burning less daily than before - no wonder not hungry. Not a good sign though.
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I got to the overweight position that I am in because I used to get up in the morning and have a cup of tea then go to work and eat nothing until I returned home at 6 or 7pm ... I still wasn't hungry and could easily have 'listened' to my body but my head knew that I needed fuel so I ate. Thirty minutes after eating I felt hungry and spent the rest of the evening eating anything and everything because I 'listened' to my hungry body that had just been woken up.

After many, many years I realised I was wrong and substituted the evening binges with only healthier options. The crisps and fatty snacks were gone and I had replaced them with low fat yoghurts and fruit and energy bars. I was still fat and the hunger remained so I continued to eat!

Now I listen in a different way. My body still says it doesn't want to eat but I ignore it and have breakfast, even if it is only a banana. I have lunch, maybe a sandwich or salad or fruit. I eat an evening meal and find that the constant feelings of hunger in the evening has become less.

I, in effect, retrained, or am in the process of retraining, my body to rethink its messages. I started this change about a month ago and I am feeling a difference already. I could have continued to listen to my body and got no where. It wasn't the foods that I was eating; it was the wrong messages my body was giving.

Now, I'm off for that chocolate biscuit. Only kidding!

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    And that's the point -- we just muddle along and make bad decisions, and that's why were are here.
    We eat an entire box of pasta, we have a 1500 calorie drink from Starbucks, a Happy meal, a box of pasta, day in and day out. Not because of miss reading our hunger cues.

Beef, chicken, creamer, milk, cheese..

Other people are here because they went through phases where they don't receive proper hunger cues which cause them to not eat enough and become underweight. So that happens too.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Since every "body" is the same according to some
    When one's body says feed me do they choose the milkshake @1500 calories, or the 1500kal meal or do they choose, the 4/8/12 oz chicken/fish.

"My body's signals are subtle (tiredness and indecision) and easily overlooked. My mind's signals are powerful and impossible to go against once established." Question , if you are already overweight, then you will always be overweight?

Listening to what I thought were my body's signals resulted in my being morbidly obese for thirty years, yes. You know how I lost all that weight? By ignoring those signals. --- And you don't think you could have had the
    same result by making better food decisions?
    What I am saying, There are people who are hungry, they don't go for the 1500 kal meal, they go for
    cheese/fish/meat/ protein shake

What I am saying is that this requires people to be able to accurately tell whether they're hungry and what they need. Many people can't.

Hunger and need are two different thing... People don't need a Mcdonalds meal, they choose to eat it.

"If I heard my body clearly, do you think I would binge eat" Again, why didn't you binge eat on fish/chicken/plain salad. Who fed the body the milkshake?. You heard your body correctly and clearly you choose something that was quick and easy and filled with calories and not something like celery. tuna, or something else.

Why are you assuming that this had anything to do with signals from my body?

Yes. from what you just said, Yes.
    "My mind's signals are powerful and impossible to go against once established"
    Your body stated it needed food. Your mind stated, let me eat an entire box of pasta.
    You choose to do that.

...and if my body actually did signal a genuine need for energy, why do you think it would be a good idea to give it things that provided almost none?

Better to give that body - Plain salad w/chicken than a McDonald meal
    As everybody states, a carb is a carb no matter where it comes from,
    So if a person is hungry, allow them to have plain salad w/chicken than a McDonald meal.

idk. i lost 20lb or so eating a mcchicken on a regular basis and fries and nuggets. sometimes the mcchicken has lower calories than some salads and the fat keeps me more satiated than the salad ever would

Ahh.. So you listen to your body when you were hungry and you stopped when you body said so. -- Interesting.