Eating and burning calories

Options

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    @tinkerbellang83 - You can gain weight by over eating anything. But -- How much plain salad w/chicken would one have to consume to get over weight.
    " also don't seem to grasp that some people have a psychological struggle with hunger cues which means that logging is far more effective than listening to their body." Please choose to eat crap.
    show me one person who became overweight, because they had too many apples, or chicken, or fish. That they ate only 3200 Kal of, veggies and protien

Its not the hunger cues thats the issue, its what you put in your body.

Oh. You completely ignored everything I said in favour of your own unsupported prejudices after all.

Well, OK then. You just carry on being wrong, if it makes you happy. And I'll just carry on being right, since it's made me thin :)

And people lost weight by getting on the Keto diet and changing the food options that they ate. Are they wrong?
    Hmmmmm?

• Commander_Keen
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Since every "body" is the same according to some
    When one's body says feed me do they choose the milkshake @1500 calories, or the 1500kal meal or do they choose, the 4/8/12 oz chicken/fish.

"My body's signals are subtle (tiredness and indecision) and easily overlooked. My mind's signals are powerful and impossible to go against once established." Question , if you are already overweight, then you will always be overweight?

Listening to what I thought were my body's signals resulted in my being morbidly obese for thirty years, yes. You know how I lost all that weight? By ignoring those signals. --- And you don't think you could have had the
    same result by making better food decisions?
    What I am saying, There are people who are hungry, they don't go for the 1500 kal meal, they go for
    cheese/fish/meat/ protein shake

What I am saying is that this requires people to be able to accurately tell whether they're hungry and what they need. Many people can't.

Hunger and need are two different thing... People don't need a Mcdonalds meal, they choose to eat it.

"If I heard my body clearly, do you think I would binge eat" Again, why didn't you binge eat on fish/chicken/plain salad. Who fed the body the milkshake?. You heard your body correctly and clearly you choose something that was quick and easy and filled with calories and not something like celery. tuna, or something else.

Why are you assuming that this had anything to do with signals from my body?

Yes. from what you just said, Yes.
    "My mind's signals are powerful and impossible to go against once established"
    Your body stated it needed food. Your mind stated, let me eat an entire box of pasta.
    You choose to do that.

...and if my body actually did signal a genuine need for energy, why do you think it would be a good idea to give it things that provided almost none?

Better to give that body - Plain salad w/chicken than a McDonald meal
    As everybody states, a carb is a carb no matter where it comes from,
    So if a person is hungry, allow them to have plain salad w/chicken than a McDonald meal.

idk. i lost 20lb or so eating a mcchicken on a regular basis and fries and nuggets. sometimes the mcchicken has lower calories than some salads and the fat keeps me more satiated than the salad ever would

Did you lose weight on that, or was it CICO type of diet? ....
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi! I Agree with a lot of what has been said. And congrats on the loss, that’s amazing!!
    Personally I listen to my body. There are days where I only eat around 800 calories but then eat 2000 a few days later. As long as your net calories consumed for the week are less than calories lost then you will lose weight.
    My average is probably 1300 cal per day.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 - You can gain weight by over eating anything. But -- How much plain salad w/chicken would one have to consume to get over weight.
    " also don't seem to grasp that some people have a psychological struggle with hunger cues which means that logging is far more effective than listening to their body." Please choose to eat crap.
    show me one person who became overweight, because they had too many apples, or chicken, or fish. That they ate only 3200 Kal of, veggies and protien

Its not the hunger cues thats the issue, its what you put in your body.

Oh. You completely ignored everything I said in favour of your own unsupported prejudices after all.

Well, OK then. You just carry on being wrong, if it makes you happy. And I'll just carry on being right, since it's made me thin :)

And people lost weight by getting on the Keto diet and changing the food options that they ate. Are they wrong?
    Hmmmmm?

Sorry, did you mean this as a reply to me? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with anything I've said.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes you should eat them. MFP is a NEAT calculator meaning it calculates a calorie goal independent of any exercise you would do. If you don’t exercise at all, and eat at the calorie target MFP provides you should lose weight at the rate you selected over time. When you exercise you are meant to log and eat back those calories so that you NET 1200. In your scenario, if you burn 800 cals and eat 1200 you are netting 400 cals which is far too low.

That said - a couple of points.

Some people find the exercise calorie burn estimates to be inflated so they often start by eating back 50-75% and monitoring progress to ensure it’s accurate for them. In your case 800 is a lot - what sort of exercise are you doing and where did you get the number from?

1200 is the lowest recommended calorie amount for women and most people don’t need to go that low in order to lose. What are your stats? How much weight are you trying to lose? What rate of loss did you choose?

Read the stickied most helpful forum posts at the top of the getting started section they have a wealth of information.

Thank you for replying .
    I started my weightloss journey last year and so I've lost 6 1/2 stone (87 lbs) I did this by going to the gym 6 days a week and eating low fat food/cutting rubbish out.

My weightloss has slowed down now (I knew it would) so I've decided to calorie count. I've put my stats into MFP and they've said 1200 cals a day. I go to the gym 4 days a week now and burn approx 750-900 calories. I have a active job and walk a few miles a day

So, following your advice, I need to up my calories on the days I go to the gym?

Thank you again for your reply, it's very much appreciated

Emma

I want to get back to the OP for a moment. I just want to be sure you've set your activity level on MFP properly because I was under the impression that it wouldn't set a calorie goal as low as 1200 if you have an active activity level? It might be worth double-checking your settings just to be sure.
  • Commander_Keen
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

48 cals extra/day above maintenance will lead to a 5lb weight gain per year... do that for 10 years that is 50lbs with only eating slightly more, it doesn't take crap food to add 48 cals to your day.

You can gain wait from anything... provided you ate to your TDEE to a T.
    but show me one person, that gain 50lbs over 10 years from eating an apple, or chicken

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

48 cals extra/day above maintenance will lead to a 5lb weight gain per year... do that for 10 years that is 50lbs with only eating slightly more, it doesn't take crap food to add 48 cals to your day.

You can gain wait from anything... provided you ate to your TDEE to a T.
    but show me one person, that gain 50lbs over 10 years from eating an apple, or chicken

is that all you eat, apples and chicken? think most of us have a varied diet and for those that don't count calories, eating 48 cals of healthy food is easy to do. and with such a slow rate of gain, it can "sneak" up on you. or if you eat like you always did, but become slightly less active.
  • Commander_Keen
    edited May 2019
    Options
    "erickirb wrote: »

is that all you eat, apples and chicken? think most of us have a varied diet and for those that don't count calories, eating 48 cals of healthy food is easy to do. and with such a slow rate of gain, it can "sneak" up on you. or if you eat like you always did, but become slightly less active.

No, its an extreme example.

I would love to meet a few people who is on this board that is here, because they ate too much protein, or veggies

Can you also show me, a person who kept to their TDEE average via weekly or monthly. And what is the likeliness of that occurring.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    "erickirb wrote: »

No, its an extreme example.

I would love to meet a few people who is on this board that is here, because they ate too much protein, or veggies

Can you also show me, a person who kept to their TDEE average via weekly or monthly. And what is the likeliness of that occurring.

I didn't say they keep tdee weekly/monthly, just for most people, they don't track calories, making it very easy to go over maintenance and gain weight over time