exercising six days a week?

Options
I have been sedentary for years (and years and years), and now have diabetes 2 and over 50 pounds to lose.

I have started exercising on the following basis of six days per week, alternating swimming and stationary biking and alternating upper body and lower body light resistance and calisthenics training:

Sunday: stationary bike and lower body
Monday: swimming and upper body
Tuesday: stationary bike and lower body
Wednesday: swimming and upper body
Thursday: stationary bike and lower body
Friday: swimming and upper body
Saturday: rest day

My approach to both the cardio and the resistance training is to start ridiculously light (presently, the workouts are what most of you would probably consider more of a warm up than a full exercise session). I have planned a very gradual increased over time to each exercise category, to lessen the possibility of injury, but I intend to be guided by my body rather than rigidly controlled by a plan as to increases over time and will be prepared to slow down the currently-scheduled series of increase. I have a long term, four year goal in mind, which is too ridiculous to mention at the moment but which is dependent on staying injury-free.

Given the approach of alternating cardio type and upper/lower workout but with only one rest day per week, is this a reasonable approach? I would be pleased to have any input, thanks.

Replies

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    being in relatively the same position (t2d, 50+ to lose) i did much pretty much the same as you are planning and it worked for me. just keep in mind that it's essential to take in less calories than you burn.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    For now it's probably fine as you said you are starting super light. Once you started getting higher intensity, I would add in a few more rest days. So like lower/upper/rest
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you following a structured lifting program for your strength training? If not, I would find a program that fits with your goals, not one you put together yourself. here is a good list of programs:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    As someone who has been where are you, I suggest that you start off a bit more paced. I started with strength training 2 times per week and walking on the other days. After not exercising for years, you are planning two workouts per day. This is a lot even for someone well conditioned, depending on exactly what these planned workouts involve. After doing this for 5 years, I currently swim, lift, and bike, but I do one workout 4-6 days per week. I do walk at least 2 miles every day, often more. I suggest you start with one workout 3 days per week, do this for 4-6 weeks, then add one workout for 4 more weeks, and build up gradually.

Although you should start off with light weights, they should be heavy enough to provide a slight challenge or it won't benefit you. You will also benefit most from an organized lifting program. Check out the thread posted above ^^ and also check out the other sticky posts to help you get started.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    There are too many variables (current level of fitness, intensity & duration of exercise) to say with too much certainty whether or not 1 recovery day per week is sufficient (I tend to work out 7 days a week but I'm alternating between running, cycling, strength and rowing and I've been at it for over 10 years now) but your approach sounds very rational.

My best suggestion is just to monitor yourself closely for signs of fatigue or overuse, starting off easy & building up gradually is the way to go. Good luck!
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated.

My main focus for weight loss will be reducing calories. My main interest in exercising six days a week if possible relates to my diabetes: I am currently on both metformin and Jardiance and my A1C readings are still above therapeutic range. My doctor, not seeing any measure of lifestyle improvement on my part to date, has indicated that if in another 3 months at my next testing my A1C reading is still to high, he will be adjusting the medication, which I expect may mean insulin. I am super keen to avoid that, and if possible to eventually decrease my current medication. I am hopeful that daily workouts will assist in reducing blood sugars and improving metabolism on a daily basis, and at a minimum, working out six days a week rather than less is likely for me to be a motivator to eat better eat day.

So I think I will continue to give a gradual, cautious six day a week approach a try for now, but will bear the comments in the thread in mind and monitor carefully and reduce frequency if/when it seems appropriate.

Thanks again.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have Type 2 diabetes as well. I started exercising about 10 weeks ago now. I started with walking 3-4 days a week and now walk 7 days a week. I do brisk walking and aim for about 30 minutes a day with a 5-10 minute leisurely walk afterwards. Doing this has helped my blood sugar control immensely. Daily exercise (even just a moderate 20-minute walk) is so so so important for diabetics.

A few things: Check your blood sugar before working out to be sure exercise is appropriate at that time. Make sure you warm up and cool down to limit injury potential. Please make sure you carry glucose tablets with you in case of sudden low blood sugar episodes. Remember that exercise can temporarily increase your blood sugar; however, it will then usually work to decrease it over the next 12(ish) hours.

I take Metformin and with walking, watching my total carb intake, and losing weight, my a1c is between 5.7 and 5.8 consistently.

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I worked out six days a week for 15 months and it worked, but my body couldn't take it. Rest days are just as important as workout days.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Eventually, and as quickly as possible, lose the swimming as a means of reaching your goals and keep it for fun recreation...at your comfort of course. You see....if there is one thing I've learned. It is that, things like swimming, walking on the tread mill for 60 min are a waste of time for weight and strength goal reaching. Use a Stairmaster machine to replace those, and eventually get to Hiit training ( going all out for 30 sec...then resting). Depend on weight training. You will lose weight just sitting around days after weight training.

I don't know much about diabetes, but folks I know who are trying to avoid insulin depend on daily exercise and swimming is one of the best. Resistance, use of all major muscle groups, cardio-it's all there. OP is trying to manage diabetes first, not change physique.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    While high-intensity training is wonderful and has a ton of benefits, it isn't always appropriate for diabetics. The truth is that higher intensity training, if done when blood sugar is above 200, can be a dangerous situation. Exercise AND eat to your meter, my friend. You also need to know that if you develop retinopathy associated with diabetes, high-intensity exercises may not be your friend.

I guess what I'm saying here is that there is a whole community of folks with diabetes who understand the limitations that are associated with it. If your health goals include decreasing your a1c, then your plan sounds pretty darn good to me.

In 10 weeks of walking and yoga I have:

Lowered my blood pressure significantly
    Lowered my a1c to 5.7 to 5.8 range
    Cut my triglicerides in half (I'm now comfortably in the normal range)
    Gone from total cholesterol of 212 to total cholesterol of 120
    Decreased my anxiety and depression

Only you know your own health goals. Do something that makes you happy, fits within your lifestyle and budget, and is something you can stick with. Once you have your diabetes managed you can start to fold in higher intensity stuff. Respect your body and give it the time it needs.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated.

My main focus for weight loss will be reducing calories. My main interest in exercising six days a week if possible relates to my diabetes: I am currently on both metformin and Jardiance and my A1C readings are still above therapeutic range. My doctor, not seeing any measure of lifestyle improvement on my part to date, has indicated that if in another 3 months at my next testing my A1C reading is still to high, he will be adjusting the medication, which I expect may mean insulin. I am super keen to avoid that, and if possible to eventually decrease my current medication. I am hopeful that daily workouts will assist in reducing blood sugars and improving metabolism on a daily basis, and at a minimum, working out six days a week rather than less is likely for me to be a motivator to eat better eat day.

So I think I will continue to give a gradual, cautious six day a week approach a try for now, but will bear the comments in the thread in mind and monitor carefully and reduce frequency if/when it seems appropriate.

Thanks again.

Did your DOCTOR tell you to exercise 6 days a week to reduce your A1C? It sounds like your doctor doesn't know anything about your level of exercise and this seems concerning, especially given the insight from others on this thread. Please check in with your doctor whether this much change this quickly is ok for your situation.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Hi sparky00721. I realize I am late to your question. I get asked a lot of questions at the gym. Not because I'm anything great. Only because people remember me, from when I started 2.5 years ago, I've lost 52 pounds and added muscle. My Planet Fitness location keeps its members, so we've all seen who is progressing. People ask how I stayed with it. Well, your attitude is how. You've set a long time goal. That's the golden ticket. Set a longterm goal. This will allow you to develop patience, and help this become a "life style" opposed to something you want to do out of necessity, although it is necessary. I believe anyone should give themselves at least 12 months to expect and measure real change.
    Its also great that you know to take it easy, and gradually increase intensity and workload, although 6 days seems a lot for a beginner, you're swimming. That's not to bad. However, about your training schedule you have posted. Eventually, and as quickly as possible, lose the swimming as a means of reaching your goals and keep it for fun recreation...at your comfort of course. You see....if there is one thing I've learned. It is that, things like swimming, walking on the tread mill for 60 min are a waste of time for weight and strength goal reaching. Use a Stairmaster machine to replace those, and eventually get to Hiit training ( going all out for 30 sec...then resting). Depend on weight training. You will lose weight just sitting around days after weight training. Body transformation and goal reaching weight loss isn't easy. Even 2.5 years later, there are days I don't want to go. Days I am toppled over from pushing so hard. But I push through any metal block that pops up. Truth is, I'm 47 years old, and I've never looked or felt like the shape I'm in now. I never thought it was possible. I did it for my son, as I didn't have energy to play ball with him before. Now I do it for me. So most of all, have patience. By next year at this time, you won't even recognize yourself. As long as you stay with it. (:

Given that someone already addressed the diabetes related aspects of this thread, I'll address what I bolded. There are a few problems here. 1. the OP's goals don't actually seem to be at all related to intensive strength training so the last clause of what I bolded isn't applicable to this situation. 2. you seem to think that swimming can't be taxing to the body in such a way that it could nessistate rest days. That's simply not accurate. Sure you're likely not going to go get many overuse injuries, but swimming can be (and is often) very cardio intensive. It's a very good option for someone wanting to improve their fitness.

The last bit is also extremely over exaggerated, to such an extent that it's not actually true assuming you're talking about losing weight from calories burned through weight training.
  • sparky00721
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Concerning the advice to clear things with a doctor, good advice I think generally for someone my age, level of deconditioning and diabetes. Fortunately, I already have the blessing of both my GP (from the diabetes perspective) and a cardiologist to engage enthusiastically in exercise.

With my GP, I did not specifically address the 6 days a week issue, but he has been recommending for months that I engage in exercise (cardio and/or resistance) for 45 minutes per day “most days” of the week. To give you a sense of how gradual my approach is, my current stationary bike and limited lower body workout runs a total of about 25 minutes only, and my swimming (currently, six non-consecutive pool widths) and upper body workout is only about 30 minutes. So I am under-exercising from his perspective currently. If I showed him my proposed plan, he would almost certainly say “good start tubby, but up the volume

Regarding the involvement of a cardiologist, long story with scary misdiagnosis but ultimately a happy ending. In short: after concluding following four different tests that I had a likely 70% occlusion of my left anterior descending artery (the "widowmaker" - a serious condition) that would almost certainly require a stent placement, an expedited angiogram cleared me entirely. He said that with my excess weight, obvious lethargy and presumed heavy diet of pizzas that it was almost criminal that my heart, arteries and ventricles were free of any concerns - not quite his wording but definitely the subtext. He encouraged me to exercise from a general health/diabetes perspective and did not suggest any restrictions.

So I consider myself medically cleared to knock myself crazy with a reckless six day a week schedule.

Concerning the diabetes itself, as far as I know I have not yet developed any diabetic complications. The reference to the exercise concern relating to diabetic retinopathy was not known to me, and a helpful remind to get checked again.

Just to keep me honest, I will commit to posting again in either six months or when I crater, whichever come first, in case anyone may be interested.

Thanks again!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    My concern at that plan is psychological rather than physical: from a compliance point of view, if you're going so very light on each day, the time and effort involved in getting to the gym, changing, showering etc will quite quickly start to seem like way too much faff for the short workout time and limited improvement you're likely to see.

You might be better off with bigger workouts on a smaller number of days, if you are physically capable of safely upping the intensity and length. That will give you more improvement (if your workouts are well within your capacity, your body doesn't bother increasing your capacity; you have to break things a bit in order to rebuild them better) and less likelihood of getting sick of FOREVER going to the gym.
  • sparky00721
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Thanks ceiswyn, I see your point and that may prove to be the case for me down the road, but so far in early days I am loving it. If things change, I will certainly be keeping your comments in mind.

I work downtown into the evenings and the downtown YWCA is less than one block from my office and is open to 10 pm. So far I have been popping over in the evening after finishing work to exercise when it is less busy and to this point, it has been a nice way to end a sometimes stressful day before heading home rather than a burden. But as I say, early days.

I have found that my eating pattern when I do get home after exercising is much improved (I am usually a binge heavy-eater at night, it is absolutely my kryptonite) but if I have worked out, so far it has just been a fruit, lots of water and a modest pat on my own back for being a gym hero.

If I alternated work out days, I much fear that on the rest days, I would simply go home after work and plop on the couch, TV remote in one hand and my other hand inexplicably inching toward the speed dial button for delivery pizza and a mess of honey-garlic chicken wings on the side.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I think 6 days a week is great. Consistency is good for habit forming. Just listen to your body and stop if you have sharp pains or take an extra light day if you have too much DOMS. And if you do decide to work out on that 7th day, swimming or walking or yoga are great "active rest" days.