Whiskey, Bourbon, or Scotch

Options

Replies

• clairemarie1016
    clairemarie1016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    All the love for Jameson and no one has mentioned Red Breast? It's from the same distillers but tastes even better IMO. A glass of that in a snifter is outstanding. All we have where I'm deployed is Jameson but my glancairn glass really brings out some of the different notes. People say I'm crazy with special glasses in the desert but we only get three drinks a day so I make sure I enjoy it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/06/04/my-favorite-irish-whiskey-is-back-and-better-than-ever/

Absolutely!
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Blech. Hate all dark liquors. I prefer a good vodka, gin or wine.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    aren't bourbon and scotch both whiskey?

so i think this is a trick question....

regardless, I like the Gentlemen Jack. I like Crown, I like Wild Turkey and Johnny Walker (all colors of labels)

But I will drink most anything. It's not like I'm a snob

My understanding is that Bourbon is distilled once, Scotch is Distilled twice and Whiskey is distilled 3 times.

Me, being Irish, i would only ever choose Whiskey. Jamesons or Bushmills

No.

Whiskey (or whisky) is a generic term. It basically just means a spirit distilled from grain and aged in barrels.

The common subtypes are defined by variations in the grain used and the ways it is aged. Number of times distilled is not a part of any official definition that I know of, although there are traditions on the subject.

Here are the cliff notes for some of the most popular ones:

Bourbon Whiskey - The majority of the grain has to be corn. It must be aged in new charred oak barrels Must be made in the USA.

Scotch Whisky - Must be made in Scotland. Traditionally, though not always, made from barley that has been malted over peat fires. Is then aged in oak barrels. (Which interestingly enough are often ones previously used for Bourbon)

Canadian Whisky - It has to be made in Canada and it has to be whisky. They don't seem too particular up north.

True. Number of distillations does not matter for the general catagories, just for specialty catagories. Since I am a bit of a dork I couldn't resist a little expansion on this idea. But please realize that there are way too many specific methods, recipies and rules to list:

Bourbon: majority corn as mentioned, also contains wheat, rye, and/or barley.

Tenessee Whisky: same basic ingredients as Bourbon, but with an added step of being filtered through giant vats of charcoal (sugar Maple). Think Jack Daniels.

Scotch Whisky: As mentioned most of them are made from malted barley alone. Scotch from the island of Islay (ex: Laphroaig, Ardbeg) are the ones (region) that halt the malting process with smokey peat fires. Others just use non smokey heat sources that don't give that peaty smell. Scotland has several regions, Speyside has distilleries that make Macallan and Glenlivet. Glenmorangie comes from the highlands. Depending on who you talk to there are 5 or 6 different whisky regions in Scotland. Many like your Johney Walkers are blended scotch, several distilleries share with each other to get the different blends. A "Single Malt" is a whisky from one distillery alone. ***Oops, wanted to point out that a blend can also be the same distillery, but from different batches or from different years and possibly different grain bills. They may mix a batch that has aged for 5 years with a batch that is only 3 years to mellow or intensify.***

Irish whiskey: unlike Scotch, the Irish didn't define their regulations as well, so they can have a little wiggle room in how their single malt, or single grain whiskeys are produced. Jamison and Bushmills are both blended, some like Red Breast are single pot still whiskey's. They used to be referred to as pure pot still, they are generally a single malt that is distilled 3 times before aging.

Another interesting side note. There are 2 main types of processing. Batch or continuous. Batch is what it sounds. One batch of ingredients are throughout the whole process. Most scotch and irish are batched in copper pot stills. Jack and Jim have batch processes but they use stainless cylindrical containers. Whisky's like Canadian Club are a continuous process. They use a column still. That means that after fermentation the different batches are mixed in a holding tank that feeds a column still that runs non-stop.
    Most blends are run in batches, but then after aging the different batches are mixed prior to bottling. ***Oops, wanted to point out that a blend can also be the same distillery, but from different batches or from different years and possibly different grain bills. They may mix a batch that has aged for 5 years with a batch that is only 3 years to mellow or intensify.***

Another silly side note. Barrels; here in America we are only allowed to use our barrels once. That is why we sell them all over the world for others to use. The Irish and Scotts will generally use the same barrel around 3 times. They like our used barrels because our bourbon mellows the flavors given off by the charred oak. Bourbon barrels are not the only ones used. For example; Bushmills Black (Black Bush) is aged in bourbon barrels, but is then transferred to a used Sherry barrel for a couple years before bottling.

So:
    Bourbon: Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam

Tenessee: Not a huge fan, but the single barrel Jack is nice.

Scotch: Glenlivet, Glenfidich, but I'm on an Aberlour kick at the moment. Laphroaig is just too much for me.

Irish: Bushmills is my favorite (Black Bush), but I have lots of Jamison as well. Redbreast 12 is a great treat.

Canadian: I have some Canadian Club around, but I just don't drink much of it. I use it for mixing.

Yeah...I need to stop now:happy: .

Edit: added my "***Oops..." sentence.
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Copper Fox single malt. DELICIOUS!!!! Plus its made in Virginia with mostly Virginia products. Love to support local businesses!

*Technically its called Wasmund's Single Malt Whiskey. But its also known as Copperfox. I just know its delicious. Pour it in a glass and who cares what its proper name is!
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    what's your favorite, and what brand?

Bourbon - Maker's Mark <3
    14.jpg

Only good part about living in Kentucky is I live on the "Bourbon Trail". I"ve been to the distilleries. Makers and Woodford Reserve are my favorites. YUMMY@!!!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    aren't bourbon and scotch both whiskey?

so i think this is a trick question....

regardless, I like the Gentlemen Jack. I like Crown, I like Wild Turkey and Johnny Walker (all colors of labels)

But I will drink most anything. It's not like I'm a snob

My understanding is that Bourbon is distilled once, Scotch is Distilled twice and Whiskey is distilled 3 times.

Me, being Irish, i would only ever choose Whiskey. Jamesons or Bushmills

No.

Whiskey (or whisky) is a generic term. It basically just means a spirit distilled from grain and aged in barrels.

The common subtypes are defined by variations in the grain used and the ways it is aged. Number of times distilled is not a part of any official definition that I know of, although there are traditions on the subject.

Here are the cliff notes for some of the most popular ones:

Bourbon Whiskey - The majority of the grain has to be corn. It must be aged in new charred oak barrels Must be made in the USA.

Scotch Whisky - Must be made in Scotland. Traditionally, though not always, made from barley that has been malted over peat fires. Is then aged in oak barrels. (Which interestingly enough are often ones previously used for Bourbon)

Canadian Whisky - It has to be made in Canada and it has to be whisky. They don't seem too particular up north.

Thanks. I was fairly certain I was correct on that.
  • CubanSammich
    Options
    Henessey- Cognac maybe because I was raised in a black neighborhood and thats all we'd drink
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Glad no one's said Kessler or Canadian Mist... safe to assume everyone in this thread has graduated from high school

To the contrary: Kesslers is smooth as silk...wouldn't put it at the top but definitely won't turn it down
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Tequila.

Makes the clothes fall off.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    There is no E in whisky.

you're partially right. The spelling is dependent on the country of origin. If the country of origin has an E in its name ie: United Stated, Ireland...then it is spelled whiskey. If the country of origin does not have an E in its name ie: Canada, Scotland... then it is spelled whisky
  • rgbushphd
    Options
    Whiskey, Bourbon or Scotch: Yes! All of them.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    for Sipping: Crown Royal Reserve or special reserve
    for Mixing: Crown Royal or Crown Royal Black (depending on the flovor I am looking for)

Bourbon: Makers Mark (you should not mix a good bourbon just don't)

Not really a fan of Scotch for some reason I ALWAYS get this weird after taste that I find very unpleasant
  • Crzymommyof2
    Options
    im a bourbon girl... straight shots and its on :)--the only kind I don't do is old crow,,,,, barf
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Jim Beam - Jacob's Ghost, any of the Red Stags, and Devil's Cut (<<my fav).

Great - 9:15 in the morning and I wanna start drinking....lol
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Bulleit is my favorite whisky. Not a fan of Scotch.
  • _Moose51_
    Options
    Tequila --- Patron, Avion, Herradura, Don Julio
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    When it comes to whiskey, there are 2 kinds: Scotch and the rest.

Glenmorangie 18
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Glad no one's said Kessler or Canadian Mist... safe to assume everyone in this thread has graduated from high school

We have Canadian Mist - but it is for those folks that come over to hang out and don't BYOB. LOL
  • _Moose51_
    Options
    Tequila.

Makes the clothes fall off.

Can I offer you a shot? :)
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey Whiskey, straight :drinker: