How often to fast (48-72 hours)

Options
I have enjoyed limited fasting, and have finally broken my platteu.

Is there a limit as to how often to fast? Is 48 hours once a week reasonable?

Not looking for medical advice, just feeling out the common sense consensus.

I did two 48 hour and one 72 hour water fasts these last 3 weeks... but this week it's like my body said no. Previously i felt great... but this week i was very low energy and low mood etc.

I enjoy the 48 hour fast because doing 1500 cal/day just leaves me constantly snacky. Committing to the fast lets me still lose but also eat to satisfaction the other 5 days a week.

I'm in good health all around.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly valued,

Replies

• Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @Annie_01 ... yes ... definitely listening to my body and eating normally this week. It's the main reason i posted. I wasn't sure if it was a glycogen depletion issue or etc.

@Kathryn247 ...i do near-OMAD in my non fasting days. If you have time, what problems from fasting were you refering to? Again, i am only looking at the 48 ish hour ranges.

Also for clarity, i drink 2 cups black coffee and 64 ounces of water on my fasting days.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I was interested in prevailing opinion... and so for you who opined, thank-you.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    @Silent_Soliloquy have you not done any research yourself on the potential negative effects of doing this?
    I did a quick Google and found 1) few reputable sources of information, which indicates it's not a generally okay thing to do, and 2) a whole bunch of negatives, and nothing positive that's proven and can't be achieved through other means.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Scar tissue? Do you mean stretch marks?
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I've been doing various IF protocols for 7 years now, but have never done water fasts since I don't see the point of them.

OP, have you looked into Martin Berkhan's stuff yet? He's pretty much the Godfather of IF and his site has tons of info on it, he also just came out with a book that might be worth reading

https://leangains.com/
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Options
    @zeejane4 ... i have seenthe lean gains program. The results they profess are astonishing if the goal is to have a shredded muscular look
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @L1zardQueen and @nutmegoreo

This is getting outside the scope of what i first intended from this thread... But i did a five day fast earlier in the year... and i had a large raised scar from a puncture wound on my calf... i had it for years. 2 days after my fast ended i noticed it was completely flat. 2 weeks after it was basically skin colored.

I didn't know anything about autophagy at the time. And I'm not saying the one isolated incident is a scientific study... but i am interested in what further cleansing my body could go through with fasting, and the ideal length, etc.

With the insides of our bodies housing all kinds of scar tissue from 30+ years of life (and in my case a lot of boxing), it has become a subject of interest for me. Not something i in any way am suggesting for others.

Additionally (since we are this far in), when examining the minnesota starvation experiment (1945), it was shown that hunger is at its highest during caloric restriction. After 48-60 hours of fasting, hunger ceases. And in the cases of many extended fast studies, metabolism does NOT drop (many times it increases) during a water fast. Also patients on 1000 calories a day lost 22% of their muscle. Patients on zero calories lost zero.

No hunger? Higher metsbolism? Seemed worth studying further.

I am not buying it. I am not saying that there may be some "research" out there but I highly doubt it is a credible study. Anything you really want to believe can be believed with the right google search including that the world is flat.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Options
    @WholeFoods4Lyfe I quintupled my woo's by posting this thread lol.

Sent you a FR