How often to fast (48-72 hours)

Options
2»

Replies

• fletcherbritny4
    fletcherbritny4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dr. Jason Fung has a book on fasting that list all of the benefits of an extended fast. Everyone saying it is not sustainable or is bad for you obviously hasn't done research from reputable sources. by the way Google is not a reputable source.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Dr. Jason Fung has a book on fasting that list all of the benefits of an extended fast. Everyone saying it is not sustainable or is bad for you obviously hasn't done research from reputable sources. by the way Google is not a reputable source.

Dr. Fung isn't a reputable source.

Random strangers on internet forums aren't reputable sources either. I know around here Dr Fung is not considered reputable but there are plenty of people who do consider him reputable (and plenty who don't, I get that, no need to bombard me with links).

I never realised people on here were so freaked out by fasting.

I don't generally fast myself because I like eating too much but I can't see why fasting those kind of lengths would be a big problem. Humans are undoubtably more adapted to periods of fasting than the constant grazing that has become the norm. I imagine doing it weekly would be a bit much (and it seems your body feels the same way) but say once a month might work for you.

I've never understood why so many people on here get so upset when someone tries something different to what they're doing. Keto is not the diet for me but I have no problem believing it works for some others. OMAD did not work for me at all but equally I believe it's great for some people. I know it's shocking to think but we're not all the same.

• autumjo14
    autumjo14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Fasting really helps me. When I fast 16-20 hours, I feel less bloated and I don't find myself over eating and stuffing myself. I guess it kind of just clears my mind and helps me to eat less and better foods because I realize , "I'm only eating for 4 hours, I have to make the best choices." It is all about what feels best. Everyone's body is totally different so we can't bash each other because one person agrees or disagrees. It just good sometimes to let others know the things you have tried.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

Dr. Fung isn't a reputable source.

Random strangers on internet forums aren't reputable sources either. I know around here Dr Fung is not considered reputable but there are plenty of people who do consider him reputable (and plenty who don't, I get that, no need to bombard me with links).

I never realised people on here were so freaked out by fasting.

I don't generally fast myself because I like eating too much but I can't see why fasting those kind of lengths would be a big problem. Humans are undoubtably more adapted to periods of fasting than the constant grazing that has become the norm. I imagine doing it weekly would be a bit much (and it seems your body feels the same way) but say once a month might work for you.

I've never understood why so many people on here get so upset when someone tries something different to what they're doing. Keto is not the diet for me but I have no problem believing it works for some others. OMAD did not work for me at all but equally I believe it's great for some people. I know it's shocking to think but we're not all the same.

I think people get "freaked out" when confronted with goofy stuff like Keto and fasting because strict calorie counting requires consistent discipline and people are afraid they will fall back into the cycle of binging and guilt fasting. Or, denial of favorites and a miserable diet of unattractive foods.

Relax folks. Don't worry about fasting or niche diets. Just don't do it and keep counting.
  • Icanredefinemyself
    Icanredefinemyself Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Huge fasting fan here. I fully agree it is a black listed topic. Regrettably.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    Huge fasting fan here. I fully agree it is a black listed topic. Regrettably.

Only in the main forums. There are discussions about fasting in Groups. Try joining in one of the intermittent fasting groups or the OMAD group (one meal a day.)

The main forums are Vanilla. No pun intended, but they are mainstream, count calories, do some exercise, keep it simple type forums. The various groups keep things sane. The guidelines will explain if you want to take a look:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10712305/welcome-new-members/p1

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/community-guidelines