Why you should NEVER pick a weight loss method because it helped someone else lose weight.

Options
NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
I have noticed during my time here that when someone starts showing positive results on the bathroom scale they want others to do what they are doing. I don't really understand why.

All fat weight loss is driven by a calorie deficit. This does not mean you have to count calories or even log here at MFP to lose weight. It just means that however you get there it is a calorie deficit that makes your body lose fat weight.

My reasons for not picking a diet because it helped someone else:

1) Many people lose water weight in their first week or so regardless of their method. This often creates tales of losing 10+ pounds in 2 or 3 weeks. It is helpful to remember that your weight will fluctuate and that some or all of that water weight will show back up in time for various reasons. Quick losses are not real losses unless a person is very heavy and even then it will still take a long time and slow down as weight is lost.

2) People get excited quickly and exit quickly. That person you are listening to for your new weight loss method may have only been on it for 3 weeks and will be off of it in another 3. That doesn't make that system wrong but just don't get taken in by people who have barely had time to understand what they are doing before they quit it.

3) Even if a person lost all the weight they wanted to lose and maintained that loss for years it only means they are an expert on themselves. Much of weight loss is mental not physical and while we all may lose weight because of a calorie deficit we won't have the same mentality while doing it.

4) All methods have huge drop out rates and regain rates. Obesity has not been solved by the {insert diet name here} method.

5) All legitimate and healthy methods have successes if they have been around for awhile. Obesity may not have been cured for everyone by {insert diet name here} but it has been solved for some.

I am no expert except at failing which I have done many times for multiple decades. What I have learned from my failures and why I am not failing at the moment is that I have to pick/design a system that fits me not try and force me to fit a system. I now realize that a legitimate and healthy diet is made up of parts and I can choose which parts I want to apply to myself. My current method is a combination of 4 different plan systems with rules and concepts that are made up by me and different people I have heard mention good ideas over the years.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,189 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! :flowerforyou:
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Excellent post! :flowerforyou:

Yep!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Keto, Nutrisystem or "diet plans" such as those I don't care to hear about. I do Weight Watchers and there's no special food. All you do is stay within a certain amount of points. It does help for someone who needs to lose weight and can't stick to not overeating so I do tell people what I'm doing if they ask me but I don't push it on them. I still eat what I want but just less of it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Good thread.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm kind of at the point where if one more person tells me to try keto my brain will actually literally melt and drain out my ears.

Ha, that'd be a big weight drop, too...losing your brain. :)

Yes, there's plenty of ways to lose the weight, just like there's plenty of ways to live a life. A new user may have to experiement a bit to find the way of eating that allows them to get all the calories they need, still feel satisfied, and lose weight. My husband, for example, is very high on protein, high on fat, and low on carbs. And his protein is red meat. And he generally eats once a day, around dinner. I would gain weight AND go mad on that plan. I need balance among all macros, and I prefer white meat far more. And I can't eat once a day or I get angry or faint. So he does what works for him and I do me.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm kind of at the point where if one more person tells me to try keto my brain will actually literally melt and drain out my ears.

You do you. I'm doing me.

Yep. And that would be a very quick weight loss....

[edit: should have read the whole thread, that was too easy to jump on...]