Why you should NEVER pick a weight loss method because it helped someone else lose weight.

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Bump for a good thread.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    We live in a time where a work lunch consists of gluten free, vegan, and dairy free salads or a sandwich as an option. I was definitely the odd one out being the only one that ate a sandwich. I’m also the only one who (consensus says) “doesn’t need to lose weight”. Hmmm. Weird.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

The idea that Fraser and Duke and others argue for is that taking the focus off losing or weight as the definition of failure or not, worth or not, and instead just doing healthful things that make you happy, exercising in a sustainable way, and eating a healthy diet often actually does lead to weight loss, or at least weight stabilization and the promise of future weight loss. Neither of them does keto (Fraser was into a mediterranean way of eating when she wrote Losing It, although she wasn't recommending any particular way of eating), but they found that for them the dieting mindset was counterproductive.

This is one of the cornerstones of my own system. While I do make sure I am in a calorie deficit most days I prefer to think of it as eating a healthy and satisfying number of calories and if I lose weight too that is a bonus. I was way too scale and weight obsessed in the past and it was never sustainable for long periods of time. This way takes all the pressure off me to do anything but try and be happy today.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    My reasons for not picking a diet because it helped someone else:

My current method is a combination of 4 different plan systems with rules and concepts that are made up by me and different people I have heard mention good ideas over the years.

So, obviously you have benefited by people sharing their ideas on weight loss. I know I have. The reason people share the current plan they are on that "appears" to be having success for them is because it "appears" to be having success for them and perhaps it will help someone else. Whether or not that will translate into their "answer" to their weight issues, it is the sharing with others that can be helpful to the rest of us...like you yourself said in the part of your quote that I have highlighted, YOU have obviously benefited from others sharing what they think are good ideas. And you have also picked & chosen components from various plans to suit you so I'm unsure why it bothers you so much if someone else thinks their current plan is "the one".

While you may tailor someone else's ideas to your personal preferences, it is still due to someone else's sharing their ideas. And certainly others have benefited from you sharing your thoughts also. I thought that's what MFP is all about; a type of group support. We are in this common struggle to help each other & sharing is part of that. Thank you for sharing.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My favourite social media post about dieting was one where a woman started by asking "which diet is right for me?" And her answer was simply "whichever one you can stick to.

Keto, south beach, calorie counting, weight watchers...all of those plans will work IF you can follow it.

My mistake was in thinking that if I couldn't follow it perfectly that the whole thing was garbage...moderation and progress instead of perfection have been much better for me ❤