New to working out and not sure where to begin

Options
Mcwi3681
Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
edited May 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm brand new to working out and idk what I'm doing, or what to do. I started last week with 15 min aerobic videos I found on YouTube, 3 times/week and this week I'm up to 30 min videos, 3 times/week. The other 2-3 days I do mild stretching, a touch of yoga, and walking.

My goal is to lose another 15 lbs and just to be healthy and fit, toned even. 90 minutes of cardio a week doesn't seem like it'll do the job though.

Should I do longer or more frequent sessions, is there a (hopefully free) program I should follow, or is there something else altogether I should be doing?

I'm coming from a borderline-sedentary lifestyle so when I say I'm new, I'm NEW. Idk 90% of the exercise abbreviations I've been reading in these posts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ETA: I chose cardio/aerobic workouts because that's what I watched my mom do back in the late 80s/early 90s during the "step class" craze, and I didn't know what else to do!

Also, I'd really like to focus on my stomach (after 3 kids that area def needs some work). Is it helpful to spend, say, 10-15 min a few times a week on just that area? Otherwise how do I go about giving my midsection special attention?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Besides some aerobic activity, have you considered lifting weights? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Honestly, play around and see what you like to do. There are so many ways to stay fit and active. But starting out slow like you did is very smart, as it helps avoid injury. But as the weeks progress you become more fit, make sure you are adjusting your works to be slightly more challenging. But you have a range of things to choose from. You can try and start running by using the C25K program. If you want to try cycling you can maybe look into local spin classes or try a couch to cycling program. Also, look around online at the local gyms near you. Often they have free trial memberships for like a week or so. Maybe get one of those and go try the group classes offered. Get a trial pass to kickboxing and try that out. A lot of churches near me offer Zumba classes. Try Yoga. The options are endless.
  • caellak
    caellak Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I honestly hate cardio and prefer weights, even if it's just movement with your body weight! Cassey Ho (aka Blogilates) really got me into fitness though. She created Pop Pilates and it's amazing! you can pick and choose from different videos on her YouTube channel (blogilates) or if you go to her website, she does beginners workout calendars and monthly workout calendars you can follow that are completely free (you just have to sign up with an email address) she also has tips on healthy lifestyle and some recipes!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Look up Fitness Blender on YouTube. It's likely the most popular free service for workouts and variety. Try several of their videos and see what you like.

My wife had never done a YouTube video in her life until I showed her Fitness Blender. Now she's a FB addict. She does their stuff around 3 to 4 times a week along with her old standby -- Debbie Siebers (Slim in 6).
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Crossfit.com is all you will ever need
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions! I'm really excited to look into these workouts, thanks so much!!
  • JewRob63
    JewRob63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Look at your portion sizes, is a start for weight. Leg muscles will do the most calorie burn. HIIT, Cycling classes, Cross Training or just leg/weight workouts
  • jabari18
    jabari18 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You made a great start so far. Focus on your consistency. Aim for increasing your step count when you are not working out. And play around with different activities until you find the one that motivates you the most. That is the one you will stick to and be consistent with. For me discovering martial arts training motivated me to be consistent. Now I feel incomplete when I miss a class
  • purwonder
    purwonder Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think you are right on track. I learned aerobics from watching my mom exercise to Denise Austin, Jane Fonda, so many more. Most of those people are still in excellent physical health today, so they must have been doing something right. Stick with it, make sure you’re eating a healthy diet, and enjoy the journey.