Would you recommend keto

I seemto stay full longer when I have more fat in my diet than without. For those of you that have done or are doing keto, would you recommend it? What do you like/ dislike about it?

Replies

• Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    I’ve been doing “lazy” keto for two months and I can easily see myself doing it indefinitely. I can still eat most of my favorite foods with some minor tweaking, I have steady energy all day long as opposed to the spike-crash-gimme cookies or I’ll cut you cycle I used to deal with, I’m sleeping better and waking up rested. Husband says I’ve stopped snoring. Also I’ve lost 25 lbs which is awesome but still secondary to all that other good stuff.

I’ve tried other ways of eating before but this is the first time I’ve been able to almost effortlessly sustain one. I don’t get cravings anymore and I don’t feel deprived. The only downside I’ve seen is that grocery shopping and meal planning gets a bit more expensive when you’re not stretching out meals with starch.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    It is entirely personal preference. Keto doesn't do anything special for weight loss, but it's fine to do it if you enjoy it. If you feel more satiated when you eat more fat, then there's nothing wrong with eating that way as long as you're also getting your protein and micronutrients. You can follow a keto diet, or just eat a higher proportion of fat without following any named diet.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    If you are interested, then go ahead and give it a fair try. Learn about keto-adaptation and electrolytes first or else it may not go so well.

*By fair, I mean you need minimum 3 months to make a fair decision. Trying for 4-6 weeks as some do is not useful. This is specifically because your body goes through changes when you consistently eat a ketogenic level of carbs (not the same as carb cycling). The adaptations take time and I often see where people stop during the adaptation period because they mistakenly believe that keto is making them unhealthy. In fact, the short-term lack of energy will likely peak at 4-6 weeks.

Agree with this. I'm just over a month into a lower carb woe now and I'm really enjoying it, but it's way to early for me to declare that it's the way of eating that works best for me. I'm transitioning from a mostly plant focused woe and a month into that I thought it was going really good-but by month 3 I had hit a mental wall pretty hard with it, as well as started having digestive issues.

Op, if you're interested in trying lower carb/keto then it's a good idea to give it at least 90 days, to really see how it works for you-this will also allow instances of social events, eating out etc, so you can see how this style of eating works with that (I've been through one holiday and numerous social situations since starting, good learning experiences!).
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Losingweightforgood2019 Posts: 171 Member
    321 days keto and loving it! ;)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @zeejane4 appreciate your detail-rich share.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I have been doing keto for 3 weeks now where I have been net 20-40g of carbs. I had two bad days where I was closer to net 60g. Started at 178 and now at 174. So not really any faster, especially after the glycogen depletion.

Pro's

1. What I like (and this was similar to Paleo). The increase need to meal prep has given me some real vigor into planning new meals.
    2. I am eating more fish (big plus).
    3. Slowing losing weight and hit my low weight again (since I lost my original 50 lbs).
    4. Don't really miss candy

Cons
    1. Sometimes when I need a quick meal, it's difficult because there aren't many choices.
    2. I miss having tons of fruit and oats
    3. My gym performance (especially my bench) has suffered.
    4. Have to spend a lot more time figuring out meals.

I plan on being a bit more strict to see if I notice any big changes. No changes in energy or "mental clarity". I tend to think those benefits are largely driven by people making better food choices and often seen by those coming off of SAD diets. If my gym performance doesn't improve soon, I will move to a TKD style diet and consume gummy bears or some kind of glucose pre workout to see if that mitigates or improves the problem.

I second the con of not having quick meals around-there's definitely a learning curve with having food prepped and on hand for busy times. I now always have hard boiled eggs, pistachios, whole milk Greek yogurt and string cheese on hand for those times when I'm just too busy to prep a meal. I'm also experimenting with prepping meat ahead of time, so I have that on hand. Last night I marinated a bunch of chicken tenderloins and cooked them on my G.F. grill, and I'm going to see how they taste cold, (they're tiny tenderloins, similar to a chicken tender at a fast food place).

But yeah, on the other hand it's pushed me to try new meals and food, and to be more thoughtful about my meal prep which is a good thing :)
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I would recommend it if you are one that won't miss all of the starchy carbs. I was never a big sweets person, so I don't miss things like candy, but I was always a salty and savory lover, so chips and potato dishes have been a bit harder. I will sometimes play around with my daily macros so that I can enjoy something like Nachos (I use grain free Siete chips) or a few french fries. I can stay in Ketosis up to 50-60+ total carbs, so I find that I can do that once every week or two with no issues. Also, fat is very satiating for me. For example, yesterday I roasted a Pork Shoulder for dinner. As I was cutting it up, I was eating pieces of the crispy fat and ended up getting too full for dinner. Whoops! It's definitely been a very helpful tool for me to keep my hunger in check and my calories down.

So, should you try it? Sure, why not. You have nothing to lose other than a few excess pounds, right? But if you are going to try it, I'd recommend giving it at least 60 days to see how your body responds. Good luck!
  • pierinifitness
    edited May 2019
    @psuLemon curious as to why you chose to take Keto for a test drive.

From everything I’ve read, you need more time in Keto-land to adapt until which, expectantly, workout performance will lag.

My comment caveat: I have zero personal experience with Keto.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    @psuLemon curious as to why you chose to take Keto for a test drive.

From everything I’ve read, you need more time in Keto-land to adapt until which, expectantly, workout performance will lag.

My comment caveat: I have zero personal experience with Keto.

I actually regularly run experiments to see how effective it is for me. It also makes me more informed when I am working with people. Currently, i recognized that moderation wasn't effective for weight loss for me for some vanity pounds. So i figured, I would try keto to see if I needed something very restrictive to help with vanity pounds.

And I have heard once you get fat adapted, performance will improve, but I haven't seen any evidence in the literature about that... probably because there is limited information available as it relates to keto and lifting. A lot of the body builders I know doing keto all comment on the same thing.. significant decreases in performance. This is why I will probably consider doing TKD and time glucose around my lifting program.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    I ketoed every time I prepped for a show (back over 30 years ago). And while I could eat a bit more and stay satiated longer, like every competitor after a show, we indulged in the foods we ACTUALLY ENJOYED afterwords. My take is that if it's not a diet you can sustain for all the time you want to stay in shape, then it's not one you should primarily look at.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pierinifitness
    edited May 2019
    Stumbled across Nina Teicholz's Twitter account, one thing led to another and stumbled across this which may be of interest to some visiting this topic discussion:

https://ninateicholz.com/ketogenic-diet-myths-vs-facts/#more-4946

Nia Teicholz is an investigative science journalist, Professor (Adjunct), NY University, Executive Director, The Nutrition Coalition, and Author, New York Times bestseller, The Big Fat Surprise.

Caveat: I'm not peddling Keto and judge I'd struggle with it but I constantly read to learn more. Have one MFP friend (of my two) who does Keto and I always shake my head in disbelief when viewing his food diary.