I don’t understand calories

One of the biggest reasons I don’t count calories is I don’t understand how to log everything. I freak out if i couldn’t find something in my fitness pal and I’m pretty sure I log it wrong.

For example I had a cappuccino with skim milk on sugar one sweetner I don’t know how to log that.

Any calories tracking suggestions? I personally just find it overwhelming but I just wanted to see what I consume.

Replies

• savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Track the cappuccino, skin milk, and the sugar one sweetner. separately
  • browneyedbelle92
    browneyedbelle92 Posts: 37 Member
    I get so freaked out like tonight I had chicken treat and only chicken not chips and I couldn’t find that option lol
  • browneyedbelle92
    Do you think you can lose weight without counting calories
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    what is a chicken treat? is it a purchased item you can scan?

• savannahs21
    You can also log everything separately or you can Add a food to the database
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    For restaurant food, see if the restaurant has nutrition information on their website. Chain restaurants tend to be better about posting their calorie info, and you may be able to use that info for non-chains. Starbucks has a lot of info that should work for coffee drinks you buy anywhere.
    You don't have to count calories to lose weight, but I find it helpful to see exactly how much I'm eating. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, meaning that you burn more calories than you eat. MFP helps me estimate how much I burn, and counting calories lets me know if I have enough calories left in the day for an evening snack.
  • browneyedbelle92
    I feel that because I get frustrated or obsess it’s very hard but I will definitely try logging individually. Chicken treat is like red rooster basically thanks guys ❤️
  • trbp72
    trbp72 Posts: 33 Member
    Yes...if you don't see it in the database...add it by entering it in...I find a lot of foods are entered incorrectly when searching...so I often enter things from scratch...just so that I know it is accurate...there seems to be a lot of food that gets entered with just the calories (no macro break downs)...so it is probably best and will help you gain an understanding of the workings if you enter everything you are logging from scratch...
  • savannahs21
    browneyedbelle92-- You can look up Red lobster and log that
  • browneyedbelle92
    Thanks guys I get so worried but logging individually I never thought of that so thank you.

I have lost weight without calorie counting before but I either eat too little or too much.
  • savannahs21
    Yes i agree, less calories is still calorie counting
  • ItsAJourny
    ItsAJourny Posts: 69 Member
    What
    What do they do? sardelsa

What I do is listen to my body and eat healthier foods (choose an apple instead of a cookie). Lots of veggies and fruit. Water. Exercise. Pay attention to when my body feels good. Avoid snacks after dinner. I also weigh regularly (at least once a week). It provides good feedback.