Italian Restaurant - lunch with the boss on Friday Which would you choose?

Options
For those of you who have been successful in this journey which would you choose at an Italian Restaurant:
  • Eggplant Parmesan
  • Manicotti Shells Florentine
  • Linguine Primavera

I usually go with the Eggplant Parmesan but the other two look good too.

I will do oatmeal for breakfast with unsweet tea (about 100 calories) and a Salad or Green Smoothie for dinner to balance out the calories for the day.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You have a good plan for the day. Enjoy your lunch. :)
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the Florentine - love spinach!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Why would she ask for one? She planned her day accordingly in order to fit the meal in.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I obviously know nothing about your relationship with your boss, or OP's relationship with hers, but in my professional subculture, it would generally be seen as odd to ask for a doggy bag to take home, when lunching with the boss.

OP, having a good plan for your day is the key thing, and it sounds like you've got that under control. I agree with the perspective about eating something that isn't fiddly, but that's so individual. I like pasta with marinara & veggies, but man, I always seem to wear the tomato sauce, no matter how careful! ;)
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I'd say choose the one you think would be tasty. Just remember you don't have to eat ALL of it. If it fits in your daily goal that's fine - or if it's a big portion just eat part of it. Eat slowly and visit with the boss. I agree that a doggy bag might be odd with the boss so just leave food on the plate if needs be. As others have said figure out a strategy that makes sense for you. These things will happen again and we just have to learn how to navigate through them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 - I am my boss. By the way, I don't do doggy bags. I order with the goal of eating everything on my plate. Prior to returning to disciplined status, I never let being full keep me from finishing my entire plate.

Horrible advice.

He did say "Prior to returning to disciplined status . . . ".

I read it as saying he now orders keeping in mind the amount being sensible, but used to eat everything even if it was too much. The latter is a bad strategy for weight loss ;) , but I don't think that part was advice. Just my reading of it, though.

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 - I am my boss. By the way, I don't do doggy bags. I order with the goal of eating everything on my plate. Prior to returning to disciplined status, I never let being full keep me from finishing my entire plate.

Horrible advice.

I read it as saying he now orders keeping in mind the amount being sensible, but used to eat everything even if it was too much. The latter is a bad strategy for weight loss ;) , but I don't think that part was advice. Just my reading of it, though.

@AnnPT77 I always read statements like that with potential or practicing ED folks in mind and how I've seen simple statements turned to read something they didn't. So, in conjunction with ...other statements made in this thread...I think I'll leave that bit as is. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Horrible advice.

That's how I read it as well - something he used to do, and does not recommend. He currently orders something he knows he can finish without overeating.

That's what I do when I am not going straight home after a meal out. So on those occasions I get an appetizer or split an entree. American restaurant portions are inevitably more than one meal for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have been successful in this journey which would you choose at an Italian Restaurant:
    • Eggplant Parmesan
    • Manicotti Shells Florentine
    • Linguine Primavera

I usually go with the Eggplant Parmesan but the other two look good too.

I will do oatmeal for breakfast with unsweet tea (about 100 calories) and a Salad or Green Smoothie for dinner to balance out the calories for the day.

I think it's great that you are coming up with a plan! Some primaveras have cream and I'm never a fan of potentially slurping a linguine with a cream sauce a splattering my attire as I am wont to do. So with that in mind I'd pick one of the others because I could control the splatter factor better.

A totally separate observation is that your plan for the day as you've described it seems lacking in protein and very heavy in carbs. You may want to consider addressing that. It looks like you would be below a recommended minimum intake for protein.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    The linguine will present the spatter danger but if it is prepared without a cream sauce, I would tend to go with that because I love veggies :) I also love eggplant parmesan but I am finding that breaded and fried stuff, while absolutely delicious, wants to kill me later in the day.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I always choose the fish special at a restaurant
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I usually try to find a dish with veggies and protein. Are you vegetarian?
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I usually try to find a dish with veggies and protein. Are you vegetarian?

Not hard core but I do try to go the vegetarian route whenever the opportunity arises.