Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,919 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I gained about 45 lbs due to a pregnancy, medication and extreme stress. I have struggled big time to take any of it off and am investigating what may be holding me back. During the two years I gained I also became a daily coffee drinker (probably 2 cups a day, always black). I've always been sensitive to caffeine, but truly love drinking coffee so I just drink it in smaller amounts. Just today it occurred to me that daily caffeine may be holding back my weight loss efforts. Anyone see a change when they left caffeine behind? Thanks!

If anything, caffeine is a stimulant and would slightly increase your metabolism, not the other way around. Black coffee and caffeine are not hindering your weight loss. Caffeine is often the key ingredient in weight loss supplements.

Yes, for example this garcinia supplement looks to have four sources of caffeine:
    1. Straight caffeine
    2. Green tea
    3. Guarana
    4. Yerba mate
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day and reached maintenance
  • mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I mainline caffeine via coffee and Coke Zero and I’ve lost 20 lbs since March. But seriously black coffee isn’t going to contribute to weight gain. I would only think it could help make you feel a little fuller and also (very very slightly) increase metabolism.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    What 2 cals a cup? I think lyle McDonald actually talks about caffeine slightly raising calorie burn.
  • FitSeachely
    FitSeachely Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you are very sensitive to coffee, is it possible that it affects your sleep quality? An unrestful night sleep can do a lot on the body. Repeat it daily and add everyday stress and your body goes into alarm. I never knew how much coffee was sabotaging my sleep until I stopped drinking coffee. I still take the same amount of time falling asleep (which is less than 90 seconds most nights) however I do not move as much while sleeping (I’m in a deeper sleep maybe?)

My husband says coffee doesn’t affect him, he can drink a cup and go straight to bed. I beg to differ. He moves and snores a lot more after being over caffeinated.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Did you have your thyroid function checked?