Gentle Reminders

The other day I was standing in front of the mirror bashing myself because this last month I've traveled quite a bit and only maintained my weight loss, rather than loosing any more weight. I realized that the negative talk wasn't going to get me anywhere, so instead I started listing off what I've called some "gentle reminders" to myself to keep me motivated, but keep me motivated the right way. Some things like...

- You enjoyed your time without ruining your diet. Good job girl - now get back on track
- You lost 30 pounds before the lull, you can do it again. The break was okay, just refocus and you've got this

Since then, I've added a few other gentle reminders for when I'm down or need to be motivated

- Your clothes don't lie. You may feel bloated today, but you're still fitting into pants 2 sizes down and that's an accomplishment.
- Some days the workouts are harder than others. That doesn't mean you're getting out of shape.
- Don't hit snooze again. That's what got you into this - get up and get that workout in.
- One fast food meal may not ruin your diet, but it will if you let it become a habit. Don't tread down that slippery slope when you've come so far.

And just some like that.

And that got me thinking - I wonder if anyone else has gentle reminders for themselves and others? So if you have things you tell yourself on the good and bad days, I'd like to hear them :smile:

Replies

• smcworldtrip
    smcworldtrip Posts: 1 Member
    I'm a fitness class instructor and at the beginning of each class I remind everyone to make themselves proud during the workout - some days that might mean setting a new PR and sometimes that means just showing up! I try to approach my fitness/health journey the same way. When I'm getting down on my progress, I remind myself that sometimes just showing up/maintaining is something to be proud of in itself! I don't motivate others by yelling negative things at them or pointing out their flaws, so I try to show the same kindness to myself :) Some days it is easier than others.

I love this post! It is so easy to operate from a negative head space. Thank you for the nice reminder!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I have been telling myself this lately, and MFP is the reason. We start again tomorrow. Brand new. Everyday you open the app in the morning, you start over with a clean day ahead prepared to allow you to make good choices that get you closer to your goal. No matter what happened yesterday, today I have a brand new page in MFP and that's what I focus on.

The other mantra I have been repeating to myself more times in a day than I can count is "progress over perfection!"

Love all of yours. I also was traveling the last couple weeks and ended up pretty much maintaining and we should be very proud of ourselves for that!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    These are great reminders! Just one small suggestion:
    kmalik5 wrote: »
    The other day I was standing in front of the mirror bashing myself because this last month I've traveled quite a bit and only maintained my weight loss, rather than loosing any more weight. I realized that the negative talk wasn't going to get me anywhere, so instead I started listing off what I've called some "gentle reminders" to myself to keep me motivated, but keep me motivated the right way. Some things like...

- You enjoyed your time without ruining your diet and learned some habits that let you maintain while traveling. Good job girl - now get back on track
    - You lost 30 pounds before the lull, you can do it again. The break was okay, just refocus and you've got this

Since then, I've added a few other gentle reminders for when I'm down or need to be motivated

- Your clothes don't lie. You may feel bloated today, but you're still fitting into pants 2 sizes down and that's an accomplishment.
    - Some days the workouts are harder than others. That doesn't mean you're getting out of shape.
    - Don't hit snooze again. That's what got you into this - get up and get that workout in.
    - One fast food meal may not ruin your diet, but it will if you let it become a habit. Don't tread down that slippery slope when you've come so far.

And just some like that.

And that got me thinking - I wonder if anyone else has gentle reminders for themselves and others? So if you have things you tell yourself on the good and bad days, I'd like to hear them :smile: