The other day I was standing in front of the mirror bashing myself because this last month I've traveled quite a bit and only maintained my weight loss, rather than loosing any more weight. I realized that the negative talk wasn't going to get me anywhere, so instead I started listing off what I've called some "gentle reminders" to myself to keep me motivated, but keep me motivated the right way. Some things like...
- You enjoyed your time without ruining your diet. Good job girl - now get back on track
- You lost 30 pounds before the lull, you can do it again. The break was okay, just refocus and you've got this
Since then, I've added a few other gentle reminders for when I'm down or need to be motivated
- Your clothes don't lie. You may feel bloated today, but you're still fitting into pants 2 sizes down and that's an accomplishment.
- Some days the workouts are harder than others. That doesn't mean you're getting out of shape.
- Don't hit snooze again. That's what got you into this - get up and get that workout in.
- One fast food meal may not ruin your diet, but it will if you let it become a habit. Don't tread down that slippery slope when you've come so far.
And just some like that.
And that got me thinking - I wonder if anyone else has gentle reminders for themselves and others? So if you have things you tell yourself on the good and bad days, I'd like to hear them