Why is it not working

Options
Been eating healthy for a couple of weeks now. Cereal in the nothing, mixed salad at lunch with a bit of ham and an egg in it, chicken or pork stir-fry in the evening with minimal oil. Only snack on fruit or low fat chrisps (chips if you are not from UK). Drinks are all diet and there is no cheating. Don't seem to be loosing anything. Before I was eating pizza, cake, chocolate bars, ice-cream, anything and was maintaining weight. Why is the healthy eating not working? Don't do a lot of exercise due to health issues but a bit of walking every day. I bought smaller plate for smaller portion. Husband is eating the same and the weight is dropping off him. Not fair.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,057 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 45 years, and a pretty healthy eater (veggies, whole grains, etc.). I got fat that way, then obese, and stayed obese for several decades. In the later stages, I became very athletically active on top of the reasonably healthy eating, training most days of the week, and competing. I got pretty fit. But I stayed obese for another decade.

At 59-60, without really changing what I eat, I lost from obese to a healthy weight, and have stayed at at healthy weight for 3 years since. It was all about consuming the right number of calories.

One thing that can be a challenge for women with a male partner (who is often taller besides) is that they can eat more calories than we can, typically. It seems unfair of the universe, but there's no arguing with facts.

Losing weight is all about eating the necessary number of calories. Eating nutritiously is important for health, energy level, and more, but calories control weight.
  • babyfashion1973
    babyfashion1973 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok sobmy daily food intake is very similar day to day and has been for 2 weeks except one day this week I ran out of salad and had pasta but a typical day is
    Breakfast - cereal with skimmed milk 381 calories
    Lunch - salad with 2 slices of haþ and an egg 446 calories. The salad is a shop portion so just scan the barcode and Indid not have all of the lettuce cause it did not fit into my lunch container.
    Evening meal. Ready portion stir fry 432 calories
    Snack -low fat crisps and small piece of 70% Chocolate. 143 calories

If my maths is right it comes to 1402 calories.

Was 106 kg when weight at hospital 2 weeks ago. This included clothes but not shoes. Was 105.8 at home this morning with no clothes. Would expect some loss even if it's just a kg a week but nothing. I am notbcheating that's why I don't get what's happening.
  • dannyw1uk
    dannyw1uk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like most people here say, weigh the food, enter it in the MFP app and you'll see what you're consuming calorie wise.
    Your husband may be losing it because he's eating less than his 'maintain' calorie limit, you may well be over that given you're not the same person and have a different metabolic rate but you won't know until you track it consistently for a few weeks.

Its not what you eat but the calorie intake (and usage) you accrue. You can lose weight eating nothing but pizza as a few people have proved but that's not something anyone would really recommend.

Don't be too down on yourself though. 2 weeks is NOT a long time to see any results at all. Once you get your calorie intake right and consistent over a period of a months not weeks then you WILL see results.

And great effort by the way! The hardest part for me was starting in the first place!! Walking is a terrific low impact way to exercise and you can build from there.

Track your intake using the app
    Be consistent
    Don't be down on yourself when it doesn't fall off right way
    You can do this!!! :-)