Am I just replacing muscle with fat?

67 y.o. male, 5'10. I lost 20 pounds last year (first-time dieter) with MFP. BMI now 23. I'm at my target weight of 161.

I have never done heavy weights, just resistance and body weight, spinning, walking, swimming.

I've maintained my 20-pound loss. And, I'm doing a lot less exercise and no longer counting calories.

I'm worried that my maintenance success is may due to muscle loss (from fewer workouts and aging) offsetting fat gain.

Is that a realistic worry? I've considered getting a BMI test in a tank to monitor the fat/muscle ratio, but don't know what kind of precision or accuracy from test to test these tanks have.

Any comments on my thinking?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Well, both aging and weight loss contribute to some muscle loss, but with just a 20 pound weight loss I would doubt it is any significant amount. Is there a reason it's troubling you today?

I wouldn't worry excessively about it. It seems you're reasonably fit and doing some resistance work. I'm about your age and I think I worry more about injury than muscle loss - but I'm female.

Do you want to start a weight lifting program? I'm sure there is plenty of help for that on this site.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Sarcopenia is absolutely a concern. I would try to consume at least 161 grams of protein a day and strength train.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    While weight lifting/strength training can only be beneficial, I don't think "your maintainence success if from losing muscle and gaining fat". If you eating at maintenence calories, your body doesn't have any need to burn muscle for energy, so the chances of that happening are pretty low in any measurable level, especially if you have at least moderate protein intake.

You do lose muscle with aging, but it is a slow, long term process that is in the fraction of pounds a year. So I don't think that is the reason for your maintanence.

A dexa scan or Bod Pod body fat test can give you some additional insight to your composition, should you decide to go that route. There is no such thing as 100% accuracy, but they are the most accurate on the market.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited May 2019
    Double post.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Yes it is realistic (60 years old here) but resistance training is what we need at this age to maintain muscle and bone mass. If you're worried use a tape measure. It's more informative than a scale.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    It’s not too late to start!