Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Those of us who practice IF and don’t have eating disorders such as binging never gain weight practicing IF and know at a personal level the benefits received that others can do nothing other than scratch their head in doubt because they haven’t experienced the same.

I’ve never gained weight practicing IF (disregarding normal fluctuations day.)

You're lucky man, I fast 16 hours a day and yet i can gain 2lbs over a weekend if i allow myself to fall off the wagon. We are talking over 3000 calories here though haha.

I would suggest that "falling off the wagon" is a low-level eating disorder. This might generate some "hate mail" responses so let me define an eating disorder (albeit a low-level one) as eating more or less than necessary given your healthy goals. With that definition, I've had low-level eating disorders in my past and I gained weight.

I don't buy the cheat meal mentality preferring instead to use the treat meal moniker and then only in the context of a weekly timeline rather than a single day. So, a big calorie day needs to be evaluated, in my world, in the context of my feeding week.

Can't see comments from people I've blocked so if my response does not consider these comments.

This is all my way of thinking applicable to how I fuel my body currently and how I'm maintaining while continuing being an IF practitioner even in maintenance land, for 97 of 104 days, since I arrived in maintenance land on February 20th.

There's no turning back for me, easier to maintain that chisel it off at my age.

I would think making up your own alternate definitions of clinically defined words makes communication a bit difficult, no?

NovusDies wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't understand the claim that it's impossible to gain doing IF if you don't have a bingeing disorder.

Because IF is magik and if the magik doesn't work on you then there must be something seriously wrong with you.

IF isn’t magic, nobody says it is. But it has many amazing benefits but because it doesn’t suit your lifestyle you refuse to entertain the idea that it works. Which is fine, but I suggest you do some actual research on up to date peer reviewed studies.

Some of the folks you are lecturing have been doing IF for some time :smile:

The research into issues like autophagy and telomeres is in its very early stages so is theoretical. Studies that even hint at causality are animal studies and therefore not something to bank on just yet. That some doctors have decided to increase their fame and profitability by doubling down on a new field (that hasn't been proven or disproved yet) doesn't automatically make a theory a fact. If someone enjoys eating in an IF schedule and hopes they will also profit from these theoretical benefits, that's awesome. But saying the benefits are proven is not only inaccurate, it could lead people who struggle using an IF schedule to stick with it anyway, possibly stay overweight due to that struggle, and end up negating any theoretical benefits by remaining overweight (which is a proven health risk :wink: )

I agree with most of what you are saying. I myself have been fasting for years, It’s a part of my job to research this stuff and the link I posted shows proven results on non animal tests. SOME of these studies have been proven. Those who do IF know what it does because you can literally feel it. Especially those with Tummy trouble like myself and a number of my clients.

I’m not saying it’s this magic pill. I am staying that it has proven positive benefits.
  • ejdinwiddie
    ejdinwiddie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My input is completely anecdotal and entirely dependent on what an individuals weaknesses are in their diet, but I will point out that the typical American diet uses high calorie meats, refined carbs, and sugar in the meals that fall outside of the 16:8 eating time frames. Breakfast foods such as pancakes, doughnuts, biscuits, muffins, bacon, sausage, fruit juices, coffees that are basically ice cream, are all very calories dense and are very easy to overeat. Restaurants, particularly fast food, reinforce this at breakfast, but if you were to eat out at lunch, you will find options with lean proteins, vegetables, etc. Same with late night options, which are often offer heavy desserts or night caps/alcohol that often has surprising amounts of calories.
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i am currently doing IF.However I must state i also count calories and make better food choices. I do 16:8. It works better with my work schedule and life with the kiddos. All in all do what you wish, I have read that it helps burn fat but not sure so i will not type a thesis however I will tell you do what works for you. Have I lost doing IF yes, have i gained doing IF no , but again take note that I am counting calories, making better food choices, and exercising.