Healthy Fulfilling Breakfast

I need some breakfast ideas. I'm cutting back on carbs. I CANNOT eat eggs. I hate yogurt. What do you usually have for breakfast?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Yogurt. Sorry.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Do you like cottage cheese? I mix in berries with it. Yummy. Interesting though....I just got back from Europe and they always set out cheeses and meats for breakfast- that doesn't appeal to me in the morning, but a lot of folks were eating it.
  • Ruby_Larkspur77
    Ruby_Larkspur77 Posts: 5 Member
    I do not like cottage cheese. I do like other cheeses and meats though. That's a good idea. Thanks.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I love protein shakes, and that is what I have most days (2 scoops = 220 calories, 4g carbs, 50g protein). On weekends I like to have a rye toast with cream cheese and prosciutto. If you're cutting carbs, I still like cured meats and cheeses for breakfast even without the bread :)
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    I generally don't eat breakfast, just have coffee with heavy cream.

You don't have to eat "traditional" breakfast foods for your first meal of the day, eat whatever you want. I very rarely eat breakfast foods, my first meal of the day is generally anything from a salad to a cauliflower rice bowl to a grilled NY Strip steak and anything in between.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Plain Cheerios and unsweetened almond milk.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I used to eat eggs (vegetable omelet) and now am into smoothies, so that won't help.

I am another who will recommend just eating whatever you'd eat at a non breakfast meal.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    What does cutting back mean? Under 50/day under 25/day? Savory oatmeal is good. I do eggwhites for my protein, but a scoop of protein powder would work well here plus cheese and sausage and avocado. 14g carbs 12net, for a 1/4 cup dry. Or move away from the breakfast idea entirely and do a lettuce wrapped chicken BLT with chicken breast mayo and bacon.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    I normally have fruit and yoghurt, but never mind...

How about a mini fry-up? Sausages, bacon (or lower calorie/vegetarian equivalents) mushrooms, optional tomato? You can grill/broil them if you don't want to fry 'em.

Alternatively, in continental Europe it's quite common to have a selection of sliced meats and cheeses for breakfast.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Also what about tofu or tempeh? Its can serve as a good base for a scramble with meat and veg added.
  • Ruby_Larkspur77
    Ruby_Larkspur77 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks all.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    protein waffles
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    My first meal is usually lunch and that's a peanut butter and banana sandwich with coffee.
    On the rare times I eat in the morning, I just have leftovers from supper the night before.
    No need to relegate yourself to "breakfast" foods.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    edited May 2019
    Here's my only breakfast with no eggs, yogurt, or cottage cheese, that is also lower carbs than protein:

ea6ae19537ee4aa4c371b81f30ca7ea8.png

Use non-chocolate, non-sweetened protein powder for less carbs. Although, this has so few calories now that it might be a snack rather than a meal:

fce2f22ccd300f5e532598f1e330778e.png

You could bump the calories up with coconut oil, which is what I used before switching to coconut shreds.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited May 2019
    I'm the type that needs breakfast foods for breakfast lol. I eat eggs and bacon on a tortilla or I eat oatmeal. Sorry those don't really work for you though. In your case, I'd just eat some other type of food that is not a "breakfast food". Whatever you like to eat for lunch and dinner, for example.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,854 Member
    I eat all kind of stuff. Pancakes with sausage, ramen, tuna packets, brookies lol. Doesn't have to be specific foods. Today I had chicken jalepeno sausages on bread for breakfast
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I also don't like yogurt (I'm not sure why people appear to be so resistant to this...) and am very picky about eggs (got food poisoning as a kid from eating them and even then I wasn't a big fan of most preparations). My typical breakfast is almost entirely carbs, that said I agree with the idea of eating some sort of meat. I also will eat leftovers for breakfast if I'm at home.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Turkey bacon, turkey sausage. Avocado on toast. Oatmeal. Quest Choc protein Smoothie. Kodiak protein pancakes. Kashi go lean cereal with almond Milk
  • KevinWH87
    KevinWH87 Posts: 74 Member
    Smoked salmon is a good breakfast choice. Perhaps on some avocado toast 🤤
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I buy Ocean's snack kits with Rice crackers. The rice cracker still has some carb but the tuna is lovely for protein and the whole thing is 146 calories. The ones with Ritz crackers are alot higher.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    My go to is eggs (you don't like), pineapple (lots of carbs), and cottage cheese (you don't like). So I am no help. But I agree with the others. It sounds like you don't like any traditional breakfast foods, so don't have traditional breakfast. Just have whatever you would normally eat at other meals.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    We've been programmed/trained/brain-washed into believing that breakfast=eggs, bacon and "traditional breakfast" stuff in the morning when we wake up. De-program your self/mind and take yourself out the self-imposed prison/box of "this (fill in the blank") equals breakfast and eat whatever you want to for "breakfast", meaning eat what you normally would for "lunch or dinner" and what you like instead. I'm telling you, this will free you in ways that will make you GLAD. I see the post Mike PTY just wrote above--do this and your entire life/lifestyle will change for your betterment...I promise!
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    What about curried lentils, tarka dhal?
    Kippers?

When you say you dont like cottage cheese, are you talking about the abomination that is 'fat free' or 'low fat' cottage cheese or are you talking about the 5% fat (full fat) cottage cheese? They taste nothing like each other.

I love Longley Farm, I can only buy it in Home Bargains which is bizarre to me. I used to be able to get it in asda but then they started only doing the fat free one.

Normal, full fat cottage cheese tastes like eating double cream, its delicious. I have it with plenty of salt on and some chilli flakes.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    nooboots wrote: »
    What about curried lentils, tarka dhal?
    Kippers?

When you say you dont like cottage cheese, are you talking about the abomination that is 'fat free' or 'low fat' cottage cheese or are you talking about the 5% fat (full fat) cottage cheese? They taste nothing like each other.

I love Longley Farm, I can only buy it in Home Bargains which is bizarre to me. I used to be able to get it in asda but then they started only doing the fat free one.

Normal, full fat cottage cheese tastes like eating double cream, its delicious. I have it with plenty of salt on and some chilli flakes.

Love love love Longley Farm cottage cheese! I can only get the full fat one in my local health food store and I have had to find out which days they get deliveries so I can get it before it goes!
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Its the only cottage cheese I can eat. Almost every single other supermarket (I dont know if you are in the UK) only does fat free or low fat version, except for Aldi I think it is who do a nice cottage cheese but dont stock it continuously.

Longley farm is so hard to find. I'll be standing outside the shop with a placard if they stop selling it at Home Bargains (its not even a food shop so it baffles me why they sell it but I dont care)
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    I workout first thing in the morning so I usually just grab a few dates and a banana before I go.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    nooboots wrote: »
    Its the only cottage cheese I can eat. Almost every single other supermarket (I dont know if you are in the UK) only does fat free or low fat version, except for Aldi I think it is who do a nice cottage cheese but dont stock it continuously.

Longley farm is so hard to find. I'll be standing outside the shop with a placard if they stop selling it at Home Bargains (its not even a food shop so it baffles me why they sell it but I dont care)

I know! Waitrose does a full fat one which is ok but not a patch on longley farm. Amazon sell the full fat natural flavour though. I’m in love with the chive one but if you want plain try amazon. In desperation I also looked up the website and they do click and collect if you’re anywhere near the farm itself (I’m not!).

It is one of a small group of foods that I absolutely rely on as weight maintenance staples. Get actual anxiety when I’m running low! 😂