June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

On the weather discussion - we typically have pretty low humidity (Los Angeles basin is considered desert) so when it is humid we all think we are dieing! Right now though it is what we call June gloom weather. Cool marine layer in the mornings (mid-60's), overcast and even a bit drizzly at times. It clears off mostly by the afternoons and gets warm but not too warm. That will come in August and September. @KatieJane83 - I think you would really like the weather in the Pacific Northwest!

Finally, slowly catching up on this thread! I agree! I do enjoy that kind of weather. I will actually get bummed if it's been too long of a stretch with no gray, rainy days, lol. Yes, I know I'm odd! :D
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    June goal: 90 miles

6/2: 8.51 miles
    6/4: 5.52 miles
    6/5: 5.26 miles
    6/6: 5.51 miles
    6/9: 10.05 miles
    6/11: 6.25 miles
    6/12: 6.10 miles
    6/13: 6.22 miles
    6/16: 10.03 miles
    6/18: 3.36 miles
    6/19: 5.10 miles
    6/20: 6.03 miles
    6/23: 9.26 miles
    6/25: 6.22 miles

93.42/90 miles completed

I had a really nice 6.22 mile run this morning. It was humid, but it was only 68F and the dew point was only 65 so it was a lot more comfortable than Sunday's run at 85F with a dew point of 72. I was able to get going a little early so I had time for 6 miles instead of just 5 and today's run puts me over my goal for June. I did yell at the lady down the street who lets her dog loose. As I was heading home I saw a couple walking and here comes that dog and starts barking around the man's feet. I told her that she wasn't supposed to let her dog run lose. It really annoys me because not only could the dog have bit the man, but he could have tripped him they way he was under foot. I don't know why some people think it is ok to let small dogs run loose. The only dog's that have ever bit me were small dogs.

@Elise4270 Poor kitty! I hope he's better soon!

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq Fingers crossed for you here, although that does make it difficult to type. How about toes? Nope. Can't do that. ANKLES crossed for you! :) I've been meaning to ask, what do you do for your 30 minutes/day of mobility?

I've been doing a lot of short yoga videos (Yoga with Adrienne on youtube), but I also try to do a few minutes of foam rolling every couple of days, and I have a series of exercises from my PT that I'm doing before running, so I count all of that, too.
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Cool! I discovered her yoga videos through one of the running-specific ones a while ago, but only just started doing them more regularly this month. I randomly pick one (or one of my coworkers does) and it really seems to help a lot!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @zeesparrow it's kinda sad but I'm almost afraid to say it, lol. It is my 3rd year in a row attempting to train for my first full marathon! First two attempts I injured myself (different injury, different leg each time, lol). I decided the Philly Marathon was jinxed for me, hence switching it up to MCM. I'm keeping everything crossed that the 3rd time is the charm?

@midwesterner85 super frustrating about the internet/data but YAY for a happy kitty! I hope you get everything else sorted soon!
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @zeesparrow it's kinda sad but I'm almost afraid to say it, lol. It is my 3rd year in a row attempting to train for my first full marathon! First two attempts I injured myself (different injury, different leg each time, lol). I decided the Philly Marathon was jinxed for me, hence switching it up to MCM. I'm keeping everything crossed that the 3rd time is the charm?

Definitely!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Stunner of a day here for running this morning, sunny and cold - about 6 degrees so long-sleeve merino and gloves for the top half but shorts for the lower. Dropped the kidlets off at school and did a quickish 4km before yoga - our wednesday yoga class is pretty full on and I've found it's so much better if I arrive warmed up.

In more exciting news, I have signed up with two girlfriends to do a two-day trail marathon at the end of July. Three runs in total: 16km on Saturday morning, 5.1km on Saturday afternoon and 21.1km on Sunday morning. To make it more fun, we're taking a massive motorhome (so no parallel parking then) so will be able to park up and really enjoy the event, with refreshing cold beverages and plentiful snacks to hand.

It's a pretty hokey event. The entry form is hilarious (you can mail your entry in and you can pay by cheque (I don't think anyone in New Zealand has owned a chequebook in the past 10 years)). The entry fee is a *whopping* $35 all up. And the disclaimer has things such as:
    • "We do not have marshalls on every corner to pander to your every need and tell you porkies about how wonderful you look",
    • "This is an off-road forest run and you will need to deal with your demons",
    • "Toilets are at the start/finish areas – none on course but bushes galore"
    Such a shame @avidkeo left the neighbourhood six weeks too soon!

Wow that sounds so fun! Where is it?