Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Definitely not running related....

"Mama I got snake bit."
    The swelling is down so it not super noticable. He's on pain meds so he not acting like he's snake bit. I did enjoy him before the pain meds, when he's hurt and super lovey.

He was chasing a leopard frog this morning in the bushes and found a pygmy rattlesnake. It took me a minute to figure out that rattling wasn't him laying on a frog. I thought he got away unscathed, but it was obvious hours later that it got him in the throat. We never "caught" the snake. So I'm going to trim the bushes where the frogs can't get to comfy and invite the snakes for a bush party.
    http://www.oksnakes.org/western-pygmy-rattlesnake.html
    puvmpxv0fz9q.jpg

Really glad we don't have to bury Beary.
    vdz9kpv1j1nq.jpg

Oh gosh! One of ours got it in the forehead from probably a copperhead back when we had outdoor cats, and our vet said cats are generally much less susceptible to snake venom than humans. Ours was okay after a day or so. His poor face sure swelled up though! Interestingly cats don’t have the same advantage when it comes to spider venom, which can be exceptionally dangerous for cats. So of course our indoor cats spend all day hunting and eating spiders, trying to make me as nervous as possible.

Hoping your baby is feeling better soon!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks @rheddmobile . He'll be fine. $343.62 to an emergency vet an hour away said so. Haha! They thought he might have been lucky enough to have had a dry bite. He had the cutest little oompah loompah face.

I didn't know that about spiders. This one loves butterflies and dragonflies. I tease him about chasing something a little less innocent... But I think he should stick to pretty flying things. He got bit and wanted back in with the snake. Luckily I grabbed him.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Wow @elise4270! So glad he will be ok!
    One of my big fears letting Hobbes the Vizsla off leash on our runs along the river (other than that it is a protected bird nesting area) is that there are rattle snakes in the rocks. We have not been to snake aversion class and I am sure he would be so curious and want to check them out.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I have been absent from here for a while, so am 24 pages behind. Catching up is NOT going to happen, so I'll just say congratulations to all those who have raced well and had excellent training runs, as most of you do, for the last couple of weeks. If there are new injuries, I hope you are healing quickly. I'll try to be more active here, since I do love the encouragement you all give to each other and the side discussions.

Yesterday, I managed my longest run in years - 4 miles. It was intentionally slow, so I could go the longer distance without giving out. I was pleased. I have been "training" for an 8K on Aug 3, but my step-daughter has decided to come up Aug 1 - 4, so, even though she told me to not change my plans, I hate to be gone while she is here. If it was just the race, I'd go ahead and do it, but it is a midnight run at a town about 1.5 hours away, so I'd be gone all night. I'll just try to find something else the next weekend or later.

I did just read about your cat getting bit by the rattlesnake, @Elise4270 . I'm glad he is going to be okay. That's scary. My dog, Tippy, will bark at the snakes we have around here, but so far has had the sense to stay far enough away to not get bitten. I hope that trend continues.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I did just read about your cat getting bit by the rattlesnake, @Elise4270 . I'm glad he is going to be okay. That's scary. My dog, Tippy, will bark at the snakes we have around here, but so far has had the sense to stay far enough away to not get bitten. I hope that trend continues.

Err missed that post, glad to hear he is okay though! Scary!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Definitely not running related....

"Mama I got snake bit."
    The swelling is down so it not super noticable. He's on pain meds so he not acting like he's snake bit. I did enjoy him before the pain meds, when he's hurt and super lovey.

He was chasing a leopard frog this morning in the bushes and found a pygmy rattlesnake. It took me a minute to figure out that rattling wasn't him laying on a frog. I thought he got away unscathed, but it was obvious hours later that it got him in the throat. We never "caught" the snake. So I'm going to trim the bushes where the frogs can't get to comfy and invite the snakes for a bush party.
    http://www.oksnakes.org/western-pygmy-rattlesnake.html
    puvmpxv0fz9q.jpg

Really glad we don't have to bury Beary.
    vdz9kpv1j1nq.jpg

Well, that's one of the nine lives used...
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    Previous PR: 35:05 (during my 12k race 7 weeks ago)
    Goal: <33 minutes
    Result: 30:58 minutes

I CRUSHED IT!

W00T! Well done!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I have been absent from here for a while, so am 24 pages behind. Catching up is NOT going to happen, so I'll just say congratulations to all those who have raced well and had excellent training runs, as most of you do, for the last couple of weeks. If there are new injuries, I hope you are healing quickly. I'll try to be more active here, since I do love the encouragement you all give to each other and the side discussions.

Yesterday, I managed my longest run in years - 4 miles. It was intentionally slow, so I could go the longer distance without giving out. I was pleased. I have been "training" for an 8K on Aug 3, but my step-daughter has decided to come up Aug 1 - 4, so, even though she told me to not change my plans, I hate to be gone while she is here. If it was just the race, I'd go ahead and do it, but it is a midnight run at a town about 1.5 hours away, so I'd be gone all night. I'll just try to find something else the next weekend or later.

WB! :D
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @zeesparrow great job!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    @MobyCarp thank you for your insight and experience. You make a lot of sense. There was a 5k near me yesterday but unfortunately I found it after it was already full. So... virtual 5k it is!

June goal - 50 miles

June Miles - 38.65, walk 10.13
    06/01 - walk 0.79
    06/02 - walk 1.8
    06/03 - walk 1.85
    06/04 - 3.32
    06/05 - 2.3 knee pain; Myrtl
    06/06 - rest
    06/07 - walk 1.14
    06/08 - rest
    06/09 - 5.3
    06/10 - walk 2.4
    06/11 - 4.02 ; yoga, Myrtl
    06/12 - 0.36
    06/13 - 4.04 ; yoga, Myrtl
    06/14 - walk 0.69
    06/15 - walk 1.46
    06/16 - 6.01
    06/17 - walk 1? (didn't record; Bike 20m; yoga; Myrtl))
    06/18 - 4.03 tough... 80F feels so much hotter than 60F
    06/19 - 2.03 ; yoga; Myrtl
    06/20 - 4.13
    06/21 - walk 1.15
    06/22 - walk 1.8
    06/23 - 3.11 (virtual 5k race); walk 1? (didn't record walk)

The last couple days were rest days, so I just took the dogs for a couple sniffy walks. This morning was another walk with the dogs, then my virtual 5k race/training run. I was getting hungry before I left so ate a couple Gu chews. I waited 30-45 minutes before leaving but that was not the best idea of the day.

For this run, I set my Garmin to provide an alert if I was over 11 min/mile, which would not be fast enough for my goal, but I didn't want it to remind me too much if I was struggling. I started out faster than I planned, at under 10 min/mile, but I just went with it. It was breezy, 60F with winds of 13mph and gusts over 20mph. And of course, it didn't seem to matter which direction I ran, I felt like I was running into the wind. At least it helped keep me cool, and when I wasn't running into the wind, it felt so much faster and easier!

My first mile came in at a record 9:39! Each successive mile was slower... so much for negative splits. But those Gu chews I ate? I got stomach cramps at about halfway and they didn't go away. The second mile was still faster than my goal, though I was struggling. At about 2.25 miles there is a slight incline, my stomach was upset, the wind was gusting and I slowed down... then walked quickly up the rest of that hill for 15-20 seconds. Garmin reminded me I was over my pace, but I needed the break to evaluate things and catch my breath a little. I started running again as I reached the top and kept pushing. With about a quarter mile to go, I started thinking about my first 10k race and the volunteers who cheered you on. They weren't there today, so I cheered myself on. "You're almost there!" "Looking good!" "Keep it up!" Then I told myself, c'mon you can do this. Just two more minutes if you push. You can do anything for two minutes! And I said, please Garmin, tell me it's been 3 miles.

I turned the corner and Garmin buzzed. I looked down and it said 3.02 miles. I kept running. At 3.05 miles I picked up the pace to bring it in strong, until it buzzed again at 3.1. I kept going a little farther to make sure it would record 5k... stopped running... and then got a little sick :mrgreen:

Previous PR: 35:05 (during my 12k race 7 weeks ago)
    Goal: <33 minutes
    Result: 30:58 minutes

I CRUSHED IT!

Did you ever!!! Great job!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

WB! :D

I really do not like how : D turns into :D instead of :smiley: so it looks like I am LOL when I mean happy. :(
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @zeesparrow Great job crushing that personal record!!! Loved that you cheered yourself on!

@kgirlhart Those flowers are beautiful! When the wind is blowing, I always feel like I am running into the wind in both directions. I know that isn't possible, unless it just magically turned when I did, but it sure feels like it. It does stink that it is that hot early in the day. Good for you for running anyway.

@PastorVincent Thanks for the welcome back.

Today is a rest day. I hope to get in a shorter/faster run tomorrow after my dad's VA appointment.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Getting ready fo leave for my run today and there’s lightning, so no go. I may try running the neighborhood at night if it clears up. Otherwise, I will bike a little indoors and run tomorrow.

@zeesparrow Congrats on your virtual 5k! Is that your first sub 10 minute mile? And congrats on the rite of passage of getting sick on a run. I haven’t puked yet but my husband has! It’s a whole thing. As far as waiting after eating a GU, my blood testing indicates quick carbs like that hit your blood almost immediately and peak at about 15 minutes, then last about 45. So no need to wait, really. And make sure you get enough water with the chews.