June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    MOVED! I left yesterday with our girls. Drove about half way, stayed the night in a motel, then came the rest of the way this morning. Currently relaxing on my in laws couch. Hubby wont be coming until tomorrow. I hope he makes it in one day cause I want to do park run on Saturday! If not I'll wait a week. Running hasn't happened in over a week, with being sick and moving. Sigh.

How's the weather? Have you frozen solid or been blown off the island yet?
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    It was absolute heaven to get out for a little run this morning after being sat at my desk for over 12 hours yesterday. Had to laugh at the contrasting reactions for the first 10 minutes or so though: brain was bouncing about like an overexcited joyful puppy going "oooooh sunshine! Fresh air! Ducks! People" while my legs and hips were going "you want us to do what????"
    Pure therapy, I took no notice at all of speed, distance, form or really even where I was putting my feet, just enjoyed the views and the movement. One of those runs that just feels good for your soul.
    I must say one of the things I enjoy the most about living where I do and running is that when I'm not in the mood I can head up the dirt track by the river and not see many people, but when I am in the mood all I need to do is head for the beach and the tourist watching is hilarious! There was an elderly gent with a pot belly on the gym aparatus on the beach opposite a hotel this morning wearing nothing but a tatty old pair of Y-fronts. He was trying desperately to do a pull-up, bless him.
    Legs are a little tight now, I may have investigated a new way of getting over the motorway that involved a couple of unexpected uphill stretches :-)
    Ok, back to work, it looks like my desk is going to be my home for the next four days. The joys of being self-employed. Sigh.

June goal: 75km. Run so far: 55.18km

This is awesome. All of it.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    MOVED! I left yesterday with our girls. Drove about half way, stayed the night in a motel, then came the rest of the way this morning. Currently relaxing on my in laws couch. Hubby wont be coming until tomorrow. I hope he makes it in one day cause I want to do park run on Saturday! If not I'll wait a week. Running hasn't happened in over a week, with being sick and moving. Sigh.

How's the weather? Have you frozen solid or been blown off the island yet?

No wind today! Glorious sunny day - that froze my tush off haha.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well, I am late to the game this month.

The last two months, I've been able to get 110 miles, so I'd like to set my first goal to 110 miles and my stretch goal at 120 miles. Marathon training is in full swing; I gotta get on the ball.

June 1 - 6 miles
    June 2 - 10 miles
    June 4 - 3 miles

19 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 91miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 101 miles

June 5 - 3 miles of speed work

22 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 88 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 98 miles

June 6 - 7 miles after work to help clear my head

29 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 81 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 91 miles

June 8 - 3.1 miles (5K with hubby, he got a new PR)
    June 9 - 14 miles

46.1 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 63.9 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 73.9 miles

June 11 - 4 miles
    June 12 - 6.2 miles

56.3 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 53.7 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 63.7 miles

March 14 - 7.11 miles

63.41 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 46.59 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 56.59 miles

Oh my...I think I'm overly tired. March 14 should be June 14.

June 15 - 6.14 miles
    June 16 - 8.15 miles

77.7 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 32.30 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 42.30 miles

June 18 - 6.32 miles

84.02 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 25.98 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 35.98 miles

June 19 - 6 track miles (I hate the indoor track sometimes, but gotta do what you gotta do).

90.02 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 19.98 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 29.98 miles
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    01/06 3.13 miles
    02/06 1.37 miles
    06/06 2.11 miles
    07/06 1.13 miles
    08/06 1.44 miles
    09/06 3.29 miles
    10/06 1.06 miles
    11/06 3.22 miles
    12/06 2.11 miles
    13/06 1.01 miles
    18/06 3.23 miles
    20/06 3.26 miles

exercise.png

exercise.png

• NiigataA
    NiigataA Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I’m enjoying the discussion on dry vs wet heat/cold. It definitely has a different feeling ! And it gets to minus 40C here, haha.

It was a cold and miserable rainy run this morning. But as a result, it was a speedy run for me.

Today's run: 4km, 25:51

Distance so far: 32km
    June distance goal: 50km
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Plan is to drive all day / stop frequently for kitty and I to eat, use bathroom, etc. I will arrive and unload tomorrow. I should have plenty of time to stop and sleep for an hour or 2 here and there along the way.

Good luck and stay safe!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Congrats!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    It was absolute heaven to get out for a little run this morning after being sat at my desk for over 12 hours yesterday. Had to laugh at the contrasting reactions for the first 10 minutes or so though: brain was bouncing about like an overexcited joyful puppy going "oooooh sunshine! Fresh air! Ducks! People" while my legs and hips were going "you want us to do what????"
    Pure therapy, I took no notice at all of speed, distance, form or really even where I was putting my feet, just enjoyed the views and the movement. One of those runs that just feels good for your soul.
    I must say one of the things I enjoy the most about living where I do and running is that when I'm not in the mood I can head up the dirt track by the river and not see many people, but when I am in the mood all I need to do is head for the beach and the tourist watching is hilarious! There was an elderly gent with a pot belly on the gym aparatus on the beach opposite a hotel this morning wearing nothing but a tatty old pair of Y-fronts. He was trying desperately to do a pull-up, bless him.
    Legs are a little tight now, I may have investigated a new way of getting over the motorway that involved a couple of unexpected uphill stretches :-)
    Ok, back to work, it looks like my desk is going to be my home for the next four days. The joys of being self-employed. Sigh.

June goal: 75km. Run so far: 55.18km

This is awesome. All of it.

Weeeeelllll maybe not the guy in a "y-fronts" (which I am decidedly not going to google to see what is) :smiley:
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    So... my toenail finally decided it was going to fall off. It got to where it was catching on things, and rather than have it get accidentally ripped off, I trimmed most of it off last night. I'm not running until the half marathon on Saturday, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what (if anything) I should do to protect my toe?

Some of you will demand pics, lol. Here you go!
    sd9obctrhpk9.jpg It's not too bad, but I'm concerned about it for the race on Saturday.
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    June goal - 50 miles

June Miles - 35.54, walk 10.13
    06/01 - walk 0.79
    06/02 - walk 1.8
    06/03 - walk 1.85
    06/04 - 3.32
    06/05 - 2.3 knee pain; Myrtl
    06/06 - rest
    06/07 - walk 1.14
    06/08 - rest
    06/09 - 5.3
    06/10 - walk 2.4
    06/11 - 4.02; yoga, Myrtl
    06/12 - 0.36
    06/13 - 4.04; yoga, Myrtl
    06/14 - walk 0.69
    06/15 - walk 1.46
    06/16 - 6.01
    06/17 - walk 1? (didn't record; Bike 20m; yoga; Myrtl))
    06/18 - 4.03 tough... 80F feels so much hotter than 60F
    06/19 - 2.03; yoga; Myrtl
    06/20 - 4.13

Absolutely beautiful run this morning! It was a little chilly at about 48F and I debated clothing options. I chose shorts (short tights?) and a medium weight long sleeve, which was good enough. I could have probably gone with long tights but it was nice to be in shorts when I got home. My neighborhood is surrounded by road construction with road closures, so we meandered around that as much as possible. We ended up going on some of the closed roads but so far they've only torn up a bit of sidewalk here and there, so the roads themselves are quite passable. I might have to change up our path more as the summer wears on and they start making progress. Unfortunately that typically means encountering more dogs and people, but we'll figure it out.

I've had my Garmin set to show cadence and HR zone while I run, with an alert if I go above zone 2 and for every half mile (which I might turn off). Today's run ended up with 82% in zone 2, 12% above it... and my third best estimated 5k effort at 35:58.

The Hal Higdon Novice 1 HM plan I'm following has a 5k race scheduled for this weekend. I'm debating running that on my own, just for fun, or doing an easy 6 miles. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to help me decide?
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @zeesparrow Hal says on his website 'there's nothing magical about his choice to stick the 5 and 10km races in the plan but they bring some valuable race experience' or something to that effect. He says you don't have to run them and also that they can be at other times. If I remember correctly, I found myself a couple of 'virtual races' to run on my own on those days and just ran a little hard than I would usually during training. But.... you do you ;-)

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @zeesparrow Hal says on his website 'there's nothing magical about his choice to stick the 5 and 10km races in the plan but they bring some valuable race experience' or something to that effect. He says you don't have to run them and also that they can be at other times. If I remember correctly, I found myself a couple of 'virtual races' to run on my own on those days and just ran a little hard than I would usually during training. But.... you do you ;-)

Yeah, if you were to follow the spirit of the plan, run a 5k at race pace. Personally, I just run that day as any other training run, and I suspect most people do.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @rheddmobile - I didn't feel it was patronizing when other people/runners would tell me 'good job' when I was starting out running. I will often say something like 'looking good' or 'great progress'. There was a guy I used to see walking all the time and we would smile and say hello in passing and one day he was slowly running and I exclaimed - 'Look at you -Running! Yay! Way to go' and he got the biggest smile on his face.

Congratulations @avidkeo on getting moved! Also @midwesterner85 - safe travels to your new destination! Hope the kitty makes it ok too!

@elise4270 - great work at the gym and pool! You know that muscle ton will be back as soon as you are able to do more! It's gonna take time but you will get there, I have no doubt!

@polskagirl01 - someone here recommended these toe covers (@rheddmobile maybe?) and they work great for me. I only use them on my second toe on each foot but I haven't had an issue since using them. It won't help with your immediate need for this weekends race but maybe try putting a bit of medical tape over it or even a bandaid?

@zeesparrow - I think since it is the Novice plan the races are there figuring some who use that plan may not have run any other race before so running a couple of shorter distance races give you the experience so you know what to expect. When I used that plan after my injury I ran a fun (very cheap) 5K on the beach, even though I have run lots of races before, because it fit my schedule. I couldn't find a 10K I wanted to run so just ran the distance on my own.

On the weather discussion - we typically have pretty low humidity (Los Angeles basin is considered desert) so when it is humid we all think we are dieing! Right now though it is what we call June gloom weather. Cool marine layer in the mornings (mid-60's), overcast and even a bit drizzly at times. It clears off mostly by the afternoons and gets warm but not too warm. That will come in August and September. @KatieJane83 - I think you would really like the weather in the Pacific Northwest!

No run for me the last 2 days. Tuesday was incredibly busy, went to a concert downtown that night and didn't get home until very late, actually early Wednesday morning. So no run yesterday either. Will be heading out this morning shortly though and then have strength training this afternoon. Trainer is finally back from vacation! I am going to another concert tonight but it is at a local venue so it shouldn't be as late an evening. Hoping to run again on Friday morning!