June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq - have you tried icing your shin right in the spot that is hurting? You might also try some calf stretches/raises - sometimes shin splints occur because your calf muscles are tight and pull at the attachment points along the shin causing inflammation. 3rd thing to consider is the age and miles on your shoes and/or try running in a different pair and see if it helps.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq - have you tried icing your shin right in the spot that is hurting? You might also try some calf stretches/raises - sometimes shin splints occur because your calf muscles are tight and pull at the attachment points along the shin causing inflammation. 3rd thing to consider is the age and miles on your shoes and/or try running in a different pair and see if it helps.

I just finished icing and it definitely helped with the pain. I do have tight calves, but that's not anything new. This happened so soon after dealing with my knee/hip issue that I wonder if it might be related. My shoes are new but not brand new - I've been running in them for occasional short runs all spring and switched to them full time maybe three weeks ago. I've worried that they might be part of the issue, but then, my old shoes had over 500 miles so I was worried that might have been the issue. I'm a little overwhelmed by all the possibilities at this point.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    June goal: 90 miles

6/2: 8.51 miles
    6/4: 5.52 miles
    6/5: 5.26 miles
    6/6: 5.51 miles
    6/9: 10.05 miles

34.85/90 miles completed

I knew today was going to be hot so I got up pretty early to run. But it was already 75F (I don't know if it was ever any cooler than that). I had a nice 10 mile run. It was hot though and I felt slow. I kind of overate yesterday so I felt kind of bloated this morning. That plus the heat and the sun is probably why I felt so slow. But it was my long run and I think they are supposed to be run at an easy pace anyway, so slow was probably good. I was early enough that a lot of my run was shaded so that was nice. And between 4.5 and 5 miles there was a very light rain. It was weird too because the sun was shining and it wasn't very cloudy. But it was nice and helped me cool down some.

@RunnerGirl238 Congratulations on the PR! And good luck on your first full! You'll ace it!

@katharmonic Way to meet your goal of not finishing last! Sounds like a fun race.

@noblsheep That's a lot of stairs!

@Teresa502 I'm glad no one was hurt!

@MegaMooseEsq Hope the shin is better soon and it isn't anything too serious.

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    6/1 26.53 miles
    6/2 26.43 miles, Cycling 3 hours
    6/3 26.56 miles
    6/4 21.3 miles, 400 days on the run
    6/5 20.57 miles
    6/6 20.3 miles
    6/7 20.12 miles
    6/8 27.56 miles
    6/9 15.12 miles, Cycling 3 hours, 405 days on the run

You're running those distances daily?! You are a machine. Tell me how...
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic congratulations on not being last! That's my C goal for every single race:)

Trail running is no joke!
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    @RunnerGirl238
    As @PastorVincent once told me, left, right, repeat till you get there...

In seriousness, the distances I have been building on for awhile.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Morning all.

Was planning for a 21km hike/run today on a trail, but woke up to the kind of rain that gets races cancelled. It's eased up a bit now but more rain is forecasted in the afternoon and the trail is definitely all sloshed up by now. Kinda bummed because this was going to be the highlight of this trip.

Guess that means I'll spend the day wandering around town and eating tofu.

More on the trail for people who are interested:
    So when Kobo Daishi (founder of Shingon Buddhism in Japan) was living at the top of Mt. Koya, his mother came to visit him. However she could not go up the mountain because women were banned from the sacred grounds. So the master would walk down the mountain along this trail daily to see her, and then back again. (To think of it, he was running a trail marathon every day!) A few hundred years later, a series of 180 Gorinto - stone pillars about 3 meters tall and shaped like a pagoda - were set up to mark the course and pilgrims to Kobo Daishi's grave at the top of the mountain have been following it ever since.

Pictures and stuff: http://kansai-odyssey.com/choishimichi-koyasan-pilgrimage/

How disappointing. That trail looks awesome!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 - Congratulations on your 10k!!
    @noblsheep - that trail and the history are fantastic! Hopefully maybe you can do it on another day!
    @Lazy_Bones_85 - I rarely hear anyone mention Missoula, MT. I was actually born near there when my dad was getting his masters at the University of MT. Beautiful place to run!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 great job on your 10k. Your age group really represented!

Re: the peeing, when I was training for the marathon last year my friend said to me in seriousness "You need to decide if you're going to be okay with peeing yourself during the race" and I was most decidedly not ok with that. But you know, a little pee sometimes happens, especially when you cough/choke. I'm just not cool with letting it happen on purpose and fortunately have never had a true emergency in that department.

@Lazy_Bones_85 gorgeous!! What an amazing place to run.

@midwesterner85 good luck with your move.

@avidkeo hope you feel better!
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well, I am late to the game this month.

The last two months, I've been able to get 110 miles, so I'd like to set my first goal to 110 miles and my stretch goal at 120 miles. Marathon training is in full swing; I gotta get on the ball.

June 1 - 6 miles
    June 2 - 10 miles
    June 4 - 3 miles

19 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 91miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 101 miles

June 5 - 3 miles of speed work

22 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 88 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 98 miles

June 6 - 7 miles after work to help clear my head

29 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 81 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 91 miles

June 8 - 3.1 miles (5K with hubby, he got a new PR)
    June 9 - 14 miles

46.1 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 63.9 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 73.9 miles