Don't Trust Labels. Weigh your protein bars.

You have to weigh everything. Those Quest bars that are labeled as 190 calories could be as high as 240 if you weigh it. While it may not seem like much 50 calories here, another 50 there, really adds up.

What are some other things that should be weighted and not estimated that you are guilty of?

Me im guilty of assuming every Banana is 105 calories.
Be honest everyone look at yesterday's journal and see if there is something that may not be 100% accurate. Pre packed items are likely culprits. Or protein that you scoop as opposed to weigh.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    For me, every banana was 121 calories, lol. That also wasn't accurate. I stick my blender on the scale now for convenience. Although, it really depends on the food whether it's a perfect weigh every time or just a "safe" average. Frozen foods are often overfilled so I generally always have to log for overages.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    PEANUT BUTTER!!! I carefully weigh out 32 grams. Otherwise, my "two tablespoons" is likely double.
  • jdsass82
    jdsass82 Posts: 19 Member
    I'm guilty with cheese, and I should be because cheese is so calorie dense!
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Frozen meals and ice cream bars. I weigh everything else, but the meals and bars are a pain to weigh so I just assume they are overfilled and add an extra calorie buffer.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    This is a good reminder, thanks!

One I'll always remember was sweet potatoes. MFP and I have very different ideas about what a "medium" potato looks like and it was a real shock when I started logging them by weight instead of using the size estimates.

Also italiansausage links. I bought a pack once that gave the calorie estimates based on links that weighed 82 grams. Every link in that package was over 100 grams when I weighed them. It was a huge calorie difference.
  • RelCanonical

One I'll always remember was sweet potatoes. MFP and I have very different ideas about what a "medium" potato looks like and it was a real shock when I started logging them by weight instead of using the size estimates.

Also italiansausage links. I bought a pack once that gave the calorie estimates based on links that weighed 82 grams. Every link in that package was over 100 grams when I weighed them. It was a huge calorie difference.

Yes indeed, large bananas for me were probably more like extra large bananas most of the time, and extra large for me was like, not even a thing in MFP. My grocery store gets biggun bananas.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    It NEVER occurred to me to weigh my bars :(. Dangit. I know that a lot of prepackaged stuff is inaccurate, but I guess I wanted to believe that those weren't. I have to weigh my frozen berries and my yoghurt. It won't boost the calories super high, but like you said, 50 here, 50 there. And with a 250 cal deficit, there's not room for that kind of error.
  • RelCanonical
    wyeth84 wrote: »
    every single packaged "bread" item!!!! they are ALL so off!! sliced bread, sliders, bagels, you name it... they are all incredibly off... I weight them all now and the difference is often over extra 40%!!!!

The tagline for Joseph's wraps is "we don't cut corners!" and boy, they sure don't, lol. Serving size is 56g, I think the LOWEST weigh I've gotten on one of those wraps is 61g. Still love them, just gotta log them accurately.
  • RelCanonical

Yes indeed, large bananas for me were probably more like extra large bananas most of the time, and extra large for me was like, not even a thing in MFP. My grocery store gets biggun bananas.

I will never forget a poster we had on the boards once who proclaimed that a small banana is only 90 calories and she always bought the biggest bananas she could find so that she got more banana for those 90 calories. I'm not sure she ever realized her mistake.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we have shows like Secret Eaters. A whole show dedicated to how in denial people are about what they eat. Even I, proclaimer of honesty, have gotten the biggest pizza slice out of the box but only logged it as one slice. I only get away with it because I rarely have restaurant pizza, but if I did that could eat my whole deficit.

I always eat the piece that is the best mix of big and cheesy. :D

Indeed, the more cheese, the better.
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member

I feel like Avocados can be a problem too if not weighted correctly
  • RelCanonical
    SeanD2407 wrote: »

I feel like Avocados can be a problem too if not weighted correctly

I have definitely eaten 1/3 of my daily calories in avocado without trying. They go down easy, and just like bananas, my grocery store has got those biggun avocados.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member

I will never forget a poster we had on the boards once who proclaimed that a small banana is only 90 calories and she always bought the biggest bananas she could find so that she got more banana for those 90 calories. I'm not sure she ever realized her mistake.

Secret Eaters. .

where do i find this show?
  • RelCanonical
    thanos5 wrote: »

Secret Eaters. .

where do i find this show?

I watched it on youtube, haha. It's a UK-based show.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    I am a lazy weigher -- the things I weigh are like granola and chocolate chips and nuts. The things I know that "one little handful" is a slippery slope. If I were more disciplined, I would weigh everything, but I am lazy and okay with the weight loss being less than consistent as long as it is consistently going down. XD

My prepackaged snacks will just have to keep their secrets! (But it is a good practice to do it to see how much is really in things. I did it once so I could see and it was eye opening).