Don't Trust Labels. Weigh your protein bars.

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Off to weigh all my Quest bars...
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    SeanD2407 wrote: »
    You have to weigh everything. Those Quest bars that are labeled as 190 calories could be as high as 240 if you weigh it. While it may not seem like much 50 calories here, another 50 there, really adds up.

What are some other things that should be weighted and not estimated that you are guilty of?

Me im guilty of assuming every Banana is 105 calories.
    Be honest everyone look at yesterday's journal and see if there is something that may not be 100% accurate. Pre packed items are likely culprits. Or protein that you scoop as opposed to weigh.

I don't really agree with this.

Sure, if weight loss is not progressing as expected, one strategy is to weigh everything and log more accurately.

But the blanket idea that everyone has to weigh everything - no, I don't agree

I never weighed any packaged food and I eat quite a bit of it.
    People could look in my journal and find lots of things that are not 100% accurate. Possibly nothing in there is.
    But law of averages evens it out - 50 calories here adds up, 50 calories there subtracts.

But that doesnt matter - my weight is doing what is expected.

IMO the aim is not to weigh everything to the nth degree of accuracy - the aim is to do it well enough for it to work, that's all.
    Calorie counting is a means to an end, not an aim in itself.

I agree. I have never had a problem losing weight despite using cups and teaspoons for measurements or even eyeballing. I doubt my calories attributed to exercise are accurate either but everything seems to be close enough.
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    edited May 2019
    thanos5 wrote: »

where do i find this show?

This is a bit off-topic but as OP mentioned it's on youtube and it's BRILLIANT. They intersperse the stories with scientific experiments examining how behavior relates to food choices - it's honestly so well put-together. I love it.

Plus, those accents, I mean...
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    I came looking for a thread about weighing food this morning, because I looked at my pre sliced sourdough loaf that had a single slice (not serving) had 111 calories. I'm not stupid, and can see that in a boule shaped loaf, the outer slices are significantly smaller than the middle, and it turns out a middle slice is double the weight of the average packet "slice" weight. Averages only even out if you eat the whole batch.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Protein powder - the scoop was actually less than a serving.

I was surprised - I'd think they'd manage it the other way so you'd go through it faster - needing to buy sooner.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    sheloves89 wrote: »
    thanos5 wrote: »

where do i find this show?

This is a bit off-topic but as OP mentioned it's on youtube and it's BRILLIANT. They intersperse the stories with scientific experiments examining how behavior relates to food choices - it's honestly so well put-together. I love it.

Plus, those accents, I mean...

The host of Secret Eaters is the host of so many UK shows that sometimes I hear her in my head, snarkily chastising me for my poor choices in life.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    heybales wrote: »

I was surprised - I'd think they'd manage it the other way so you'd go through it faster - needing to buy sooner.

My protein powder scoops, if I fill them completely, are always significantly over the serving listed on the packaging. Two-thirds full scoop is closer to serving size.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    heybales wrote: »

My protein powder scoops, if I fill them completely, are always significantly over the serving listed on the packaging. Two-thirds full scoop is closer to serving size.

Same here. And my PB2 always comes out to be way over unless I shake the container a lot to fluff it up. Always weigh my PB2.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I'm a very inconsistent and lazy weigher most of the time. With that said, I don't think there is anything quite as depressing as looking at a 20 gram serving of peanut butter. It just makes me sad, lol.

If left unchecked, my typical serving size would be closer to 4x the amount.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited May 2019
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I'm a very inconsistent and lazy weigher most of the time. With that said, I don't think there is anything quite as depressing as looking at a 20 gram serving of peanut butter. It just makes me sad, lol.

Off topic from the original post but I too am deeply saddened by what a "true" serving of PB looks like. If you add a serving of powdered PB and a bit of water to the real stuff you get a bit more but it's still got that creamy, sticky goodness that just cant be replicated by powdered PB alone.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »

Off topic from the original post but I too am deeply saddened by what a "true" serving of PB looks like. If you add a serving of powdered PB and a bit of water to the real stuff you get a bit more but it's still got that creamy, sticky goodness that just cant be replicated by powdered PB alone.

Yep, I've resorted to that method to help cover the 75g( roughly 3/4) of banana that I consume each morning. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    hlr1987 wrote: »
    I came looking for a thread about weighing food this morning, because I looked at my pre sliced sourdough loaf that had a single slice (not serving) had 111 calories. I'm not stupid, and can see that in a boule shaped loaf, the outer slices are significantly smaller than the middle, and it turns out a middle slice is double the weight of the average packet "slice" weight. Averages only even out if you eat the whole batch.

Not sure about your bread in particular

But most things - Or they even out over time as a law of averages.

Bananas for example - every one I eat is logged as a small banana ( I always buy small ones so they fit in my lunchbox for work ) - they look around the same size but I'm sure some are bit bigger, some bit smaller - but differences average out.

Same with standard things like slices of bread in regular loaves - not much difference between them and will average out.

That works for me.
  • prehistoricmoongoddess
    prehistoricmoongoddess Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited June 2019
    Recently I have been buying some vegan sausage rolls which are fabulous. I then saw the same make but mini ones. I was rather puzzled when I came to log them, as it said the pack was 180 grams and that there were 8 in a pack each 22.5 grams. But there were only 6 in my packet. I weighed the two that I was going to eat and they weighed 75 grams. So the whole label was completely wrong...
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    yukfoo wrote: »
    Watched an interesting documentary a couple of weeks ago. A random food calorie test. The label said 474 calories. Turns out it actually tested at over 1700 calories in the lab. Can't trust any calorie count but hey..it's all we have.

God almighty, what was the food?

I started a thread a while back which wasnt that interesting to others judging by the lack of replies about why so many 'basic' foods ( I think I was trying to search for raw salmon) are different according to different supermarkets. So I think Tesco was different to Sainsburys, was different to Aldi, to Lidl, to Morrison and so on and so on.

How can this be when this is not a processed food?

Most posters advised to use the label and the manufacturers calculation but quite honestly I dont know if I can trust them
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited June 2019
    nooboots wrote: »
    yukfoo wrote: »
    Watched an interesting documentary a couple of weeks ago. A random food calorie test. The label said 474 calories. Turns out it actually tested at over 1700 calories in the lab. Can't trust any calorie count but hey..it's all we have.

God almighty, what was the food?

I started a thread a while back which wasnt that interesting to others judging by the lack of replies about why so many 'basic' foods ( I think I was trying to search for raw salmon) are different according to different supermarkets. So I think Tesco was different to Sainsburys, was different to Aldi, to Lidl, to Morrison and so on and so on.

How can this be when this is not a processed food?

Most posters advised to use the label and the manufacturers calculation but quite honestly I dont know if I can trust them

When in doubt look on the USDA standard reference database, that will be most accurate. Personally I dont notice too much of a difference on fresh or frozen produce or meats. Even salmon is around the same, typically its 100-110 calories for 112 grams or so. It also depends on whether its skin on or skin off.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    FWIW

The FDA allows food companies wide latitude in the accuracy of the calories listed on package labels—20 percent in either direction. That means if a label says 200 calories per serving, it could be 240 calories or 160 calories or anything in between.

https://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/nutrition/article/can-you-trust-calorie-counts