Extreme amount of calories left over at end.

Options
Now here is my biggest problem, trying to get enough calories to match my workouts. Today I did an hour of BJJ and an hour of Dog Brothers stickfighting. Even with regular eating....I ended up my day weighing heavier than in the AM with 1500calories remaining at the end of the day.

Love to know what to do when you have those extremes in your remaining calories.

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    save it for a cheat day
  • andresconejo
    Options
    save it for a cheat day

Do such thing like "saving" calories exist?
    Isn´t everyday a new slate?
  • JellyBeanQueen86
    Options
    save it for a cheat day

Pretty sure you can't "save" cals for another day. i agree... every day is a new start.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Two things:
    1. plan ahead. space out food throughout the day so you don't come up short
    2. use a TDEE-based approach rather than exercise calories approach, which should smooth out your intake from day to day
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I eat them.. simple lol..

1500 calories is easy as fark to eat.. get on with it and go eat.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I used to try and eat back at least 50% of my exercise cals before bed, but I've had much better results "banking" my cals for the next day or two. Since I rarely have a large amount of cals leftover on 2 consecutive days, it evens out. However, I must "empty the bank" within 1-3 days; if not, I tend to gain weight. When I first started doing 2,000+ cal burns, I would just leave them alone thinking, "Hey, the greater the deficit, the quicker/bigger the loss!" Yeah, after a week or two I gained several pounds and it took me a month to 'reset' my metabolism to start losing again. Thus the whole 'empty the bank within 3 days' approach. #YMMV

*ETA: My diary is open and Wednesday was a perfect example. I burned over 2,000 cals, but I left >900 cals in the bank. Since Thursday is a 'rest' day, it'll be easy to withdraw from the cal bank.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    save it for a cheat day

Pretty sure you can't "save" cals for another day. i agree... every day is a new start.

You certainly can "Save" calories for another day. Maybe not a year from now, but if you want to eat a bit over goal tomorrow, it evens out. Not like your body has an instant "reset" switch. I aim for my weekly goal, because I am not a robot who can eat the same amount every day.

Oh, and I recommend pizza and/or beer when you have extra calories to spare :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to save your calories for more than a day or two, wrap them tightly, place in an airtight container, and keep them in the coldest part of the refrigerator. They should keep for about 5 days. Longer in the freezer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I ended up my day weighing heavier than in the AM

of course you did... that is completely normal and nothing to do with your weight loss... why would you weigh yourself morning and night?
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes you will weigh more at night because the food and drink you have ingested throughout the day has not completely passed through your digestive track. Weigh in the mornings only for a fair comparison. I agree with the person who suggested basing your calories on TDEE- (your chosen deficit) so that you eat the same amount of calories on workout days and rest days. It balances out over a week, and you can avoid the wild intake fluctuations. Those are some amazing calorie burns you're getting! Keep up the great work!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to save your calories for more than a day or two, wrap them tightly, place in an airtight container, and keep them in the coldest part of the refrigerator. They should keep for about 5 days. Longer in the freezer.

:laugh:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Now I know what that mysterious stuff was that I found in my fridge yesterday.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    save it for a cheat day

That's silly.

I'm doing IF and I count my calories and control them in a weekly basis and I'm losing weight. The body doesn't have a calendar and doesn't "restart" every day. All changes, all calories (restriction or overeating) happen in a long time basis, not one day to another.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What does how much you weigh in the evening have to do with it?
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    What does how much you weigh in the evening have to do with it?

Darn it! You took my question from me!!!! :sad:
    So... Yea... what HE said ^^^
  • wonderbolt
    Options
    If you are under in calories I recommend whole milk, coconut milk, peanut butter
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just eat them
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Drink half a pint of olive oil...

Easy to eat the calories you'e burning, just expensive. Might be easier to cut back on the cardio than increase your fuel
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Drink half a pint of olive oil...

Easy to eat the calories you'e burning, just expensive. Might be easier to cut back on the cardio than increase your fuel

just plain olive oil???? ughhhh I like olive oil but I am not going to sit around guzzling it at night....
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    save it for a cheat day

You certainly can "Save" calories for another day. Maybe not a year from now, but if you want to eat a bit over goal tomorrow, it evens out. Not like your body has an instant "reset" switch. I aim for my weekly goal, because I am not a robot who can eat the same amount every day.

Oh, and I recommend pizza and/or beer when you have extra calories to spare :)

^yep