No idea how to start !!

Options
Hey Everyone,
I will be starting the gym very soon but I have no idea Set to Rep ratio. I am not trying to bulk up or build huge muscles. I am a stocky guy already. Just want to be stronger, have some moderate definition and not look to jacked. Should I do 1 body part a day? Which body parts should work out more then once a week? Thank You MFP Family

Replies

• HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Full body M-W-F and something you love in between
    For a beginner, I would do 1 set (12-15) reps for your 1st 2 weeks. Then build, maybe 2 sets for the next 2-3 weeks, and build from there until 3 sets. After that, you can add weight.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Should I do 1 body part a day? - Absolutely not.

Which body parts should work out more then once a week? - All of them. ;)

Here's a link to a whole range of programs......

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Remember to factor in what time you can commit to training, what equipment you have access to and also for adherence - the training style you will enjoy (or at least be prepared to endure).

All of that^^
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Remember to factor in what time you can commit to training, what equipment you have access to and also for adherence - the training style you will enjoy (or at least be prepared to endure).

yup.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

yup.

Yup,Yup!!!
  • LaSebaya19
    LaSebaya19 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LaSebaya19 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,
    I will be starting the gym very soon but I have no idea Set to Rep ratio. I am not trying to bulk up or build huge muscles. I am a stocky guy already. Just want to be stronger, have some moderate definition and not look to jacked. Should I do 1 body part a day? Which body parts should work out more then once a week? Thank You MFP Family

Let me rephrase the answers I am looking for. I want to work out Monday to Friday. I would like to know how many sets and Reps each exercise I should do? NOT looking for crazy bulb as am a big guy already,just to be more muscular/leaner... what body parts should I do on specific days or examples of body parts I should work out on those days.? Every how often should I change up my routine? Thank you y'all
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Open the link sjomial gave you. Select a program that you like. Follow it. That will answer all your questions on what exercises, sets, reps etc. You change you routine when you are no longer progressing or get bored. I like an upper/ lower split myself. I've been following PHUL for a year with minor adjustments and variations to keep it interesting.

Step one, open the link and find a proven program.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in doing the program design yourself, look up Prilepin's Chart. That's a good place to start in understanding basic strength training design.