What happens when you eat 10,000 Calories in 1 meal?

Options

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Interesting. so in theory while not mentally sound, i am better to full on binge on all my foods in one meal overloading my system to not hold all the calories. VS spread out that food over three days where i may hold more of it.

And THAT is the logic that results in the rolling around in severe discomfort and then throwing up, yes. On the whole, as an experience, I would not give it five stars on TripAdvisor.

not 10,000 calories. but i mean say i normally eat 1400/day and then i got out and have 3 spices of pizza, deep fried pickles (1-2) half a pint of the really bad B&J's and 2 beers/glasses of wine then a few hours later have chips. that would be a huge number of calories but not make me sick. (maybe not feeling super awesome but not puke).

I think you'll notice that I mentioned in my initial post that eating the extra as very calorie-dense foods gives you a much better chance of not feeling bad.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. But binge eating huge amounts of calories is a bad idea whether you burst your stomach, or throw up, or don't.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Twiley510 wrote: »
    Joey Chestnut consumes 35,025 calories in less than 10 minutes every 4th of July.

Nathan's hot dog sausage=170 each
    Nathan's hot dog bun=297
    Total calories per hot dog=467
    Last few year's average= 75 consumed
    Total calories = 35,025

Once upon a time, I would eat two hot dogs and an entire box of Twinkies for breakfast then have a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Ice cream for dessert because every meal deserves dessert. Wash it all down with a Coke.

Hot dogs with Miracle Whip and ketchup=1074
    10 twinkies = 1500
    Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice cream = 1040
    20 oz Coke = 240

Total = 3854

After that, a typical lunch would be a pound of fried chicken livers, a hamburger, a personal sized pizza, potato wedges, a Snickers or other candy bar, and another coke. NOT separate lunches--all those items every day. All from a convenience store.

Total = 1900 or more.

That's 5774 for 2 meals.

After that, dinner. Ridiculous amounts of food either fried or pasta-based with plenty of bread on the side. If we had spaghetti, I had an entire loaf of garlic bread by myself. We always made one for each person in the house. If someone else didn't finish theirs, I would.

I have no doubt that most days in my life I went over 10,000 calories and probably had several meals that would come close if I really thought about it. Like the time I ate an entire large super supreme Pizza Hut pan pizza by myself at one sitting. Then ate a pan of brownies for dessert. Coke to wash it down. Looks like that's about 7000 calories.

10,000 calories in a day is easy to do if you are eating the wrong foods. Think about it.

I did think about it and read your food list, and sorry but there is no way I'd be able to keep down all that food. I'm sure there are some people who have habituated themselves to large volumes of food or high fat content who could do that, but I don't think that's normal, no offense intended. I still eat what most people would consider "wrong foods" pretty much daily, and I have never been able to eat that volume of fatty foods. In fact, that's the idea behind eating low carb - that for a lot of people, eating high fat makes it almost impossible for them to overeat. The only way I can even imagine getting near 10,000 calories would be non-stop chugging of a non-carbonated sugary drink!

Owning a like. I know my habits tend to go more toward the restrictive side, but even when I was in restrict-binge-purge cycles, there was absolutely no way I was throwing back 10,000 calories a day. The menu above does *not* strike me as a typical, normal, healthy meal. I can't even fathom still being hungry after having that many hot dogs, 10 twinkies, and a full pint of ice cream.

That's overeating, plain and simple.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Twiley510 wrote: »
    Joey Chestnut consumes 35,025 calories in less than 10 minutes every 4th of July.

Nathan's hot dog sausage=170 each
    Nathan's hot dog bun=297
    Total calories per hot dog=467
    Last few year's average= 75 consumed
    Total calories = 35,025

Once upon a time, I would eat two hot dogs and an entire box of Twinkies for breakfast then have a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Ice cream for dessert because every meal deserves dessert. Wash it all down with a Coke.

Hot dogs with Miracle Whip and ketchup=1074
    10 twinkies = 1500
    Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice cream = 1040
    20 oz Coke = 240

Total = 3854

After that, a typical lunch would be a pound of fried chicken livers, a hamburger, a personal sized pizza, potato wedges, a Snickers or other candy bar, and another coke. NOT separate lunches--all those items every day. All from a convenience store.

Total = 1900 or more.

That's 5774 for 2 meals.

After that, dinner. Ridiculous amounts of food either fried or pasta-based with plenty of bread on the side. If we had spaghetti, I had an entire loaf of garlic bread by myself. We always made one for each person in the house. If someone else didn't finish theirs, I would.

I have no doubt that most days in my life I went over 10,000 calories and probably had several meals that would come close if I really thought about it. Like the time I ate an entire large super supreme Pizza Hut pan pizza by myself at one sitting. Then ate a pan of brownies for dessert. Coke to wash it down. Looks like that's about 7000 calories.

10,000 calories in a day is easy to do if you are eating the wrong foods. Think about it.

I did think about it and read your food list, and sorry but there is no way I'd be able to keep down all that food. I'm sure there are some people who have habituated themselves to large volumes of food or high fat content who could do that, but I don't think that's normal, no offense intended. I still eat what most people would consider "wrong foods" pretty much daily, and I have never been able to eat that volume of fatty foods. In fact, that's the idea behind eating low carb - that for a lot of people, eating high fat makes it almost impossible for them to overeat. The only way I can even imagine getting near 10,000 calories would be non-stop chugging of a non-carbonated sugary drink!

Back in my early 20s when I heavily drank, I imagine I probably came close to 10,000 days because I could add at least 2,000 from alcohol, plus it would always involve a ton of eating.

But like eating too much food, those had a lot of negative effects, and I never really absorbed it all because it would come back up.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Interesting. so in theory while not mentally sound, i am better to full on binge on all my foods in one meal overloading my system to not hold all the calories. VS spread out that food over three days where i may hold more of it.

And THAT is the logic that results in the rolling around in severe discomfort and then throwing up, yes. On the whole, as an experience, I would not give it five stars on TripAdvisor.

not 10,000 calories. but i mean say i normally eat 1400/day and then i got out and have 3 spices of pizza, deep fried pickles (1-2) half a pint of the really bad B&J's and 2 beers/glasses of wine then a few hours later have chips. that would be a huge number of calories but not make me sick. (maybe not feeling super awesome but not puke).

I think you'll notice that I mentioned in my initial post that eating the extra as very calorie-dense foods gives you a much better chance of not feeling bad.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. But binge eating huge amounts of calories is a bad idea whether you burst your stomach, or throw up, or don't.

sorry i was just thinking "out loud". I shouldn't have posted that particular thought in the end.

I don't tend towards binge and purge. Just on a special night out with a high cal meal, some alcoholic drinks and one of those fancy desserts the calories totally add up to a day's worth (or more depending on the type of alcohol). But that in theory i shouldn't gain the equivalent amount of fat as the calories consumed would indicate (straight math) based on the discussion on the thread. not something i plan to do nor to eat enough to make myself sick. Just a high calorie but "normal" night out.

And i totally would eat 2-3 slices of hawaiin pizza, a few deep fried pickles, half a pint of B&J's and two beers in a meal back in the day. and not feel sick at all. And yes maybe some Chicago popcorn a few hours later.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It depends on what it is as to how much of that will get packed as fat.

If you ate 10,000 calories of pure whale blubber, your insulin would never be triggered, and you would store none of it. If you ate 10,000 in pasta, pizza and ice cream, your insulin would be working overtime diligently storing some of the excess. If you ate 10,000 in pure protein (for a long time), you'd eventually starve (google rabbit starvation diet).

So if you're gonna binge--leave out the carbs. Of course most binge-worthy foods are a carb/fat mix--Ideal for long-term storage!

did you seriously just say that if you eat 10,000 calories of fat it would not be stored or cause any weight gain? :*

Yep. You have to have circulating insulin to store fat. You need carbs to trigger insulin. So without insulin your body would use what it needs and pass out the rest.

I actually proved this (to a lesser degree) in my weight loss journey. I was a huge carb eater and insulin resistant--so constantly had tons of insulin busily packing fat. I lost my first 50 lbs (in 8 months) by simply removing carbs almost completely from my diet--but the kicker was I was eating MORE calories from fat and protein to make up the loss of volume. Till I hit a wall--no more came off, but regardless of how much I ate (carb-free) I didn't gain at all. Then I started actually cutting calories. 1200/day for 8 months (and low-carb but not no carb) and lost the last 80lbs. Fat and protein alone do not make you gain.

This is over-simplified because the body is very complex and food is rarely just one thing, but in general it is true. I find CICO to be even more of an over simplification and not as accurate if you don't take into account the source of the calories.

how do you explain people that use keto to maintain or bulk??

...or Inuits.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    it'd be interesting to know whether you'd gain the same amount eating 10,000 calories of food vs a single 10,000 calorie drink (if one existed w the same amount of fat/nutrients/everything else)

10,000 calories is 10,000 calories. You might pee a lot more with the drink though.
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Thank you for clarifying. Your post specifically said 10,000 cals is easy to do if you're eating the wrong foods, it wasn't clear to me that you meant after a lifetime of working towards it in that way. [/quote]

You're welcome!

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    SO I just watched both of the videos... I could totally eat what she ate in a day! Not sure how much I was really eating at my "peak" weight several years ago, but probably a good 3,000-4,000 on weekends.

Only once or twice did I actually feel sick while eating that much (over several years; not daily but definitely on a weekend when I had nothing to do except eat & watch TV), and usually bc of fried food an/or just too much at one time. She spaced out her meals for recovery (lol!).

She didn't talk about how long her joints hurt past that first day after the 10K challenge, but the pain from edema probably went away the next day after she drank lots of water and presumably worked out a bit, too. Also wondering why she was taking the digestive enzymes, though. I mean in most overfeeding situations, those would not be consumed... probably just to keep her from getting a bad stomach ache the next day, lol??

Also LOVED how she brought along the cheeze ball tub to the gym with her :smiley:
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Very interesting topic OP.
    Makes me wonder about how many calories the people on “My 600 Pound Life” consumed daily to get to 600 pounds. I would think it would have to be almost non stop eating all day when they are awake.
    10,000 calories is an awful lot of food.

Not positive, but guessing I’ve never eaten that much in one day. So, I guess it’s consistently, overeating, not a one day binge, where the pounds add on.

Yes, it is interesting to watch “My 600 Pound Life” patients lie to Dr. Now and themselves about how much they are eating. There was one woman in this current season who was hospitalized for a few months and lost about 100 pounds on a controlled diet. Then she went home and in her mind she was still eating 1200 calories, but at her next weigh in she had gained. So she had to be eating at least quadruple what she was eating in the hospital, but she kept saying she was sticking to the diet.

I find their denial fascinating, and helpful for addressing my own.

I’ve seen several episodes where people are hospitalized, for complications usually, put on a restricted diet, lose a lot of weight, released from the hospital, put the weight back on. Deny to Dr Now that they were not sticking to the diet. Denial runs rampant. It would be helpful to know what a typical day of eating was for them. How much they had to be eating to get to such a high weight. Going from, however many calories, to a limit of the 1200 calories Dr Now puts them on.
    I never kept track of calories until MFP. To get an idea I logged a typical day of what I might eat, before I started counting calories. It wasn’t anywhere near 10,000 calories. Really, how much can a normal stomach hold, without becoming painfully uncomfortable.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Makes me wonder about how many calories the people on “My 600 Pound Life” consumed daily to get to 600 pounds. I would think it would have to be almost non stop eating all day when they are awake.

Not positive, but guessing I’ve never eaten that much in one day. So, I guess it’s consistently, overeating, not a one day binge, where the pounds add on.

Yes, it is interesting to watch “My 600 Pound Life” patients lie to Dr. Now and themselves about how much they are eating. There was one woman in this current season who was hospitalized for a few months and lost about 100 pounds on a controlled diet. Then she went home and in her mind she was still eating 1200 calories, but at her next weigh in she had gained. So she had to be eating at least quadruple what she was eating in the hospital, but she kept saying she was sticking to the diet.

I’ve seen several episodes where people are hospitalized, for complications usually, put on a restricted diet, lose a lot of weight, released from the hospital, put the weight back on. Deny to Dr Now that they were not sticking to the diet. Denial runs rampant. It would be helpful to know what a typical day of eating was for them. How much they had to be eating to get to such a high weight. Going from, however many calories, to a limit of the 1200 calories Dr Now puts them on.
    I never kept track of calories until MFP. To get an idea I logged a typical day of what I might eat, before I started counting calories. It wasn’t anywhere near 10,000 calories. Really, how much can a normal stomach hold, without becoming painfully uncomfortable.

To comprehend gaining and gaining up to 600 pounds, to be eating that much regularly... not sure I can. I ate a whole large pizza once and thought I was going to die. Friggin BED. Anyway.

Rather than seeing what those people ate at 600 pounds, it'd be interesting to see the change in what and how much they ate over time. And if location had any influence. I put on a ton when we moved next door to three fast food places and two pizza places. The temptation every day is awful.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I think to maintain a 600lb weight someone's maintenance would be around 5000 calories
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »

To comprehend gaining and gaining up to 600 pounds, to be eating that much regularly... not sure I can. I ate a whole large pizza once and thought I was going to die. Friggin BED. Anyway.

Rather than seeing what those people ate at 600 pounds, it'd be interesting to see the change in what and how much they ate over time. And if location had any influence. I put on a ton when we moved next door to three fast food places and two pizza places. The temptation every day is awful.

They are supposed to eat a 1200 calorie, low carb, low fat, high protein diet. I've seen a lot of chicken and vegetables.

When I lived in upstate New York we had amazing takeout in our little town, but weight was not an issue for me at that time because I didn't get takeout all the time, and was a full time yoga teacher with a part time restaurant job, and I walked a lot.