Gaining weight despite being on point

Options
2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    (Takes another deep breath) while I think reverse dieting can be effective for establishing NEW maintenance calories vs protected. After reading and listening I believe it does nothing to boost RMR/metabolism. We know rmr is suppressed by being in a deficit, it generally increases when returning to a eucaloric or hyper caloric intake. NEAT that had been suppressed often increases and the TEF goes up dt increased intake. I think this could be why people think it works. Though some experts recommend going directly to protected maintenance or even a slight surplus for psychologic and hormonal help.
  • psychod787
    Options
    I used Kevin halls bwp. It takes metabolic adaptation into account. I used your old weight of 270 and activity lvl of lightly active 1.6 modifier. Age 30. Maintenance post diet is roughly 2600.
  • Noxxys
    Noxxys Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing reverse dieting even though I should of a long time ago as it would of helped minimize the body fat I'm gaining at the moment, but with the weight I gained so far already there's no point now, best thing to do would be just eat at maintenance and lift heavy and pray my metabolic returns to normal and then next time I decide to lose weight again I'll do it the right way this time instead of crash deficit and I agree returning to a deficit right now will not help me at all it will just make matters worse.
  • psychod787
    Options
    Noxxys wrote: »
    I'm not doing reverse dieting even though I should of a long time ago as it would of helped minimize the body fat I'm gaining at the moment, but with the weight I gained so far already there's no point now, best thing to do would be just eat at maintenance and lift heavy and pray my metabolic returns to normal and then next time I decide to lose weight again I'll do it the right way this time instead of crash deficit and I agree returning to a deficit right now will not help me at all it will just make matters worse.

Best of luck. I just want to say, I love Layne Norton, but dont forget that he is driven by his own agenda. Look into research of Libeil and Rosenbaum. Kevin Hall. Other experts.
  • Noxxys
    Noxxys Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you will look into them and likewise
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    It might be my 'fat brain' but 10.5 stone for a man seems very low. Im the same height and Im aiming for 12.5 stone (might never make it, might have to settle for about 14 stone)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    What is a reverse diet?
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    It might be my 'fat brain' but 10.5 stone for a man seems very low. Im the same height and Im aiming for 12.5 stone (might never make it, might have to settle for about 14 stone)

Not necessarily - depends on his aesthetic goals I guess.

I'm also 5'6" and female, and the healthy range goes up to 11st (154lbs) for us... the range for men is probably not greatly different (I haven't looked it up, but I'm guessing a few pounds more for men). I'm very sedentary so my maintenance calories are low and I can't really help with the OP's issue, but I just wanted to point out that he's not necessarily aiming for a weight that's "too low" for a male of his height.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    When you reached your goal, did you gradually increase deficit calories up to maintenance calories over time, or did you jump from deficit calories directly to maintenance calories? I don't know if this makes a difference, but am throwing the question out there.
  • psychod787
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Your calorie calculation is off somewhere, and/or there's an undiagnosed medical issue going on. It's possible that your Fitbit is overstating your calorie burn, which happens sometimes. Even an HRM can get it wrong in some situations. You might also be unintentionally using bad MFP database entries. Still, 30 pounds in 5 months seems like more than just a few bad entries and a little bit of exercise calorie inaccuracy. That indicates an average surplus of approximately 700 calories a day [(3500 cals/pound * 30 pounds)/150 days], which is way more than what I'd expect from minor logging errors.

Here's what I'd do:
    - Have folks double check your MFP food log by making it public.
    - If you haven't had a medical checkup recently, do that and make sure everything's in order.
    - Go back into a deficit to reach the weight you want to maintain.
    - Once you get back to your goal weight, "reverse diet" by gradually adding calories back until your weight stabilizes. That's your maintenance calorie goal.

Ok. I just wanted to add, imho, there is something OP is not telling us. I am n=1 here, but I have been on a "bulking" aka regain cycle for 6 months. My predicted tdee by most calculators have ne at 3100 calories a day. My actual level is more like 3300-3400. I have had roughly 10lbs of weight gain over that 6 months. My average intake was 3600. My weight gain was more rapid at first and then began to slow down after 8lbs or so. Why? Well my tdee went up as I was carrying more mass. TDEE goes up 80-110 calories per 10lbs on average. So.... math is not adding up. Jmho

I 100% agree with the bold . . . but feel like it's important to leave room for the possibility that he's not telling us because he doesn't know himself.

This could be true. If he is eating out a lot. Having someone else cook his food... ect. I can state, as @quiksilver1606 can attest, most 95% or so of my intake was made in my kitchen from single ingredient weighed food. Was not until this month that I took the advice of a professional who deals with body comp work to lighten the *kitten* up and let my body kind of guide me some.