Male Calories Capped at 1,500?

13»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    So I've progressively lost weight, and my calorie 'allowance' hasn't changed from 1,500 for a while; I checked another calculator and it said it should be 1,350 for me - is there a cap on male allowance?

So, how much weight have you lost over what period of time eating only 1500, which seems crazy low for a 6'3" man?

Since really going for it, I've lost 1.5 stone so far this year.

Assuming January 1st (160 days) you are losing about 1 pound a week. It is actually quite likely you are eating more than you think which in this case is a good thing.

Hey, you stole what I was going to say! :smile:

@maliciouspenguin, are you using a scale to weigh your food, and checking the database entries you use for accuracy?

Yeah - also to add to my weight loss, it's only really kicked on the last two months where I've lost around stone in 2 months. I'm probably losing at 1-1.5lbs most weeks, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I openly go over my allowance at times, and with eating back part of my exercise calories I know there's no chance of it being 100% accurate, but I've dropped from 231 to 207lbs so far :smile:

I'd also like to add... I didn't mean to cause any controversy on the topic! I didn't realise asking about eating sub 1,500 (net) calories per day would generate so much (healthy!) debate.

I really appreciate all your replies/insights/links, I've read and digested (pun intended) them all.

If your eating varies from day to day you should probably be managing yourself on a weekly basis anyway. I eat less than 1500 calories some days but my 7 day average is almost always in a healthy range for my weight loss.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,948 Member
    edited June 2019
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The Woo reaction has been a problem since it debuted. Here's what is is supposed to be used for:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31038294/#Comment_31038294
    What does the woo reaction mean? Woo is a term for pseudoscientific explanations that share certain common characteristics, often being too good to be true (aside from being unscientific). Woo is understood specifically as dressing itself in the trappings of science (but not the substance) while involving unscientific concepts, such as anecdotal evidence and sciencey-sounding words.

Well, that's just someone's opinion in a thread. The only official statement from MFP I've been able to find indicates Woo is a positive reaction.
    How do reactions work?
    Reactions allow members to quickly react in different ways to discussions or comments. The Reactions can be used to highlight interesting discussions, suppress abusive or spam comments, and create more nuanced reputation profiles. Users can receive badges for receiving positive Reactions such as “Like”, “Awesome,” "Insightful", "Inspiring", or "Woo".

This also implies Woo is positive, since you supposedly can get in trouble for using it to support a post that violates MFP guidelines (like support a VLCD):
    Positive reactions were enabled with the intent to provide an additional positive element to the forums and should be used in a manner that supports our Community Guidelines.

With that said, any “Like”, “Awesome,” "Insightful", "Inspiring", or "Woo" reaction that is used on a post that breaks our guidelines will be subjected to removal or a warning. It is not ok to promote posts that violate the guidelines and users that do so will be held accountable as well as the original poster.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2673032-how-do-reactions-work-

Edited to try to see the embedded quote I'm referring to.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I did not woo Spadeheart, but I suspect the woos were because the post seemed to be encouraging a male poster to ignore the floor and to go ahead and eat only 1200 cal, which I think would be woo'able in that encouraging undereating or suggesting undereating is a good thing could be seen as contrary to the rules of the site and not a good health practice (if someone wrote "jump start your weight loss by eating 1000" I'd consider that woo for sure).

To be clear, I don't think Spadeheart was actually encouraging such a practice, but wondering about whether 1200 was the real floor since it is possible to close the diary at 1200, but I've seen way weirder posts woo'd (should I bring up the last 5 posts I wrote that were woo'd?).

I guess I don't get the point of shaking one's finger at some unknown people for hitting woo as if we didn't all get woos that don't seem to fit the technical definition all the time.

Personally I think we should be able to see who gave the reactions we get.

I mean, I'm not really shaking my finger at it, just accepting that people are often overly emotional and kind of silly. I maintain that excessive woo's on a post indicates an emotional reaction that the poster illicited by saying something that could be construed as controversial even if it isn't actually. It's the same kind of psychology that gets people to share inflammatory headlines from non legitimate sources on Facebook. They read something, don't really absorb it or think critically about it, and then react. And you're right, adding anonymity to this makes it so people react in petty or negative ways as well.
  • rebootva
    rebootva Posts: 1 Member
    I know this is an old thread, but I needed to figure out why this app would no longer let me change my goal to 1,200 calories. I have used MFP off an on for 10 years. (My wife has a login streak of over 9 years). i for one maintain weight at roughly 1200 net calories. I am not active. So I only want to take in over 1,200 when i am not active (yardwork, out walking, etc). I don’t think any software site should tell an individual what the healthy intake is based on some generality. Just like my XXX body health scale (not sure I should say the brand) makes estimates of water/fat/muscle weight based on generalities and is way off on fat %. I’m thin boned and not lean, but the “average” metrics and other that ALL of these companies use does not fit me. I paid my subscription. Let me do what is right for ME. Stop trying to big brother me. Put a warning or something up. Warn Twice. Three times. But let me use the software the way i want, or i will find someone else to pay $80 per year.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 120 Member
    Just don't close out your diary and you won't get the message. Just log your food and keep to the calories you want. This is just a tool to track calories in food and calories burned in exercise, nothing more than a tracking tool so use it that way.
    No BIG BROTHER is telling you to do anything.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,507 Member
    edited August 2023
    rebootva wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but I needed to figure out why this app would no longer let me change my goal to 1,200 calories. I have used MFP off an on for 10 years. (My wife has a login streak of over 9 years). i for one maintain weight at roughly 1200 net calories. I am not active. So I only want to take in over 1,200 when i am not active (yardwork, out walking, etc). I don’t think any software site should tell an individual what the healthy intake is based on some generality. Just like my XXX body health scale (not sure I should say the brand) makes estimates of water/fat/muscle weight based on generalities and is way off on fat %. I’m thin boned and not lean, but the “average” metrics and other that ALL of these companies use does not fit me. I paid my subscription. Let me do what is right for ME. Stop trying to big brother me. Put a warning or something up. Warn Twice. Three times. But let me use the software the way i want, or i will find someone else to pay $80 per year.

They do it for liability reasons. They don't want the app telling someone to eat 900 calories a day because they set it to lose 2 pounds a week and then coming back and suing them saying "MFP destroyed my life and made me develop an eating disorder because it told me to eat 900 calories a day!!!!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,348 Member
    Given your bones weight between 2.5 to 3.5kg, even if we add some for variation and make it 5 to 8lbs, this is far from a major component of your total weight.

Calcium and vitamin d may help prevent osteoporosis and so do weight bearing activities if they remain possible since your indicate you're not very active.

I would discuss weight goals with a doctor and food intake with a dietician to ensure my needs are met.

After a certain age risks and priorities change (maybe weight stability is more important than loss as an example) and, in any case, an outlier, say a 90 yo 4ft 10" 108lb retired jockey would be unlikely to find appropriate recommendations in an app made for the general public.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,819 Member
    rebootva wrote: »

I was surprised to see an adult man claim to maintain at 1200 calories so put in Peter Dinklage's stats. Maintenance calories for someone with his stats are 1500. So unless you are a lot shorter than 4'5" and weigh less than 110 pounds, there is something wrong with your logging. Please don't take this personally. It's actually very common.

We might be able to spot logging issues if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • JimiSellars
    JimiSellars Posts: 8 Member
    Mine is changing. When I started it was 2100 but I was 212 pounds. Now I'm 150 and it has been 1500 for a while. Usually, when I'm done the warning will come on and say I need to eat more. I can't eat more because of the cancer I have. I average 6 to 9 miles a day. I feel ok so I don't worry about it. I have other things to worry about.